PDA

View Full Version : Chas B Wright co Bandsaw......

Michael O'Neill
12-28-2011, 1:53 PM
Has anyone ever seen one of these and what do you know about them...

I might be able to buy this for around $500.00 might be fun to restore.....217438217441217439217440217437

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 2:58 PM
Charles E Wright started as a BS guide maker then moved into full saws, rough guess is the saw is a 1920s era. Just guessing from what I can see for reference it may be a 30" saw, but maybe larger (the more I stare the larger I think it is). The top enclosure has obviously been added on. If you have the room and a way to move it it would be a great project, which you may find isn't much of a project since it looks to be in very good shape. Make note is probably has Babbit bearings.

Kirk Poore
12-28-2011, 4:24 PM
Information on Charles E Wright can be found at: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=920&tab=0

I've seen one Wright bandsaw in person, and it was a well made machine. This one looks to be in pretty decent shape, but of course an in-person inspection is always a good idea.

Kirk

Jamie Buxton
12-28-2011, 8:47 PM
Is that huge saw being run by that leeetle motor in the second photo? Doesn't seem right. If it was an industrial saw, maybe it originally had a bigger 3-phase motor, and somebody threw at it whatever single-phase he had around.

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 9:41 PM
Is that huge saw being run by that leeetle motor in the second photo? Doesn't seem right. If it was an industrial saw, maybe it originally had a bigger 3-phase motor, and somebody threw at it whatever single-phase he had around.

Without looking closer I couldn't be sure but I would guess it was originally line shaft powered. If I was rebuilding it I would put a minimum or 3hp on it but it would certainly be pretty useful even with 1.5hp.

Brian Myers
12-31-2011, 1:04 AM
The bandsaw behind it appears to be a Delta Rockwell 20" so this saw is not that huge. If you hooked up a modern 3hp or a 2hp RI motor you would be golden. One thing about older bandsaws compared to new large saws is there wonderfully large heavy tables. I have a 36" Sydney that I run with a large 2hp century Ri motor and it works fine but would be better with a 5 hp motor. I just don`t have the amps in the shop for a motor that large.