PDA

View Full Version : More Crotch hunting

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 1:38 PM
Scored some very nice White Oak crotch today, and even a Hickory!

charlie knighton
12-28-2011, 2:17 PM
very nice, watch out Ken, the oak dust may be what your wife is allergic to

Dan Forman
12-28-2011, 3:32 PM
Crotches make the best bowls. Looks like you have some nice stuff to work with. Agree with Charlie that oak is likely the culprit with your wife's allergy.

Dan

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 3:46 PM
Im not too concerned about the wood and the wife. Its possible but the doc we talked to seems to think broncitis due to the color of her mucus discharge and continuing dry cough. He said her exposure could have triggered the onset but thats about it

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 6:23 PM
one rough out done and no dead wife LOL.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-28-2011, 6:34 PM
Stunning piece of wood. You're the fastest turner I know. You went from tree to bowl in the same day.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 6:36 PM
That wood is beautiful Ken. Really a nice bunch of wood and the bowl is beautiful.

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 6:37 PM
Thanks, its not sanded ofcourse and just wet down with some water to show the grain. Its sealed now and on the drying rack. I will turn the rest tomorrow. I should have gotten 3 or 4 done today but tending to the wife cut into turning time.

Steve bellinger
12-28-2011, 7:43 PM
Ken after looking at that bowl, i think i better get them white oak crotch's off the floor and do something with them.I've turned down so much oak it ain't even funny.looking out my shop window i can see at least 6 big white oaks with some nice big crotchs just begging to leave my woods.:)

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 8:40 PM
As you can tell I have a TON of oak here, I love turning it haha. I prefer it over hickory and walnut. Its boring if it doesnt have something inside but its beautiful when you find the right piece!

David E Keller
12-28-2011, 8:43 PM
Beautiful stuff, Ken! I've always resisted turning oak, but a little recent playing around with the stuff may have changed my perspective a bit. Seeing your bowl has pushed me even closer to turning more of it.

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 8:45 PM
David, i cut out a few pieces for someone to do a HF with. It should have some good grain in it. If a piece of crotch will only allow me to get one blank due to the pith, I then cut between the piths to salvage the rest of that grain!

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Beautiful bowl Ken! Hope the rest of your harvest has grain like this one!

Hope your wife is feeling better!!

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Stunning piece of wood. You're the fastest turner I know. You went from tree to bowl in the same day.
faust

I doubt im all that fast, although since posting the pic at 6:23, I have loaded a cord of wood in the trailer, delivered it, unloaded it and came home and now have rough out #2 done. There is 24 hours in a day, I try to use them all LOL!

Dan Forman
12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
That's a knockout for sure.

Dan

Hayes Rutherford
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Ken, you are like the violin salesman that plays a nice tune on a fiddle and all of a sudden the listeners want to buy it!!

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I can sell ice to an eskimo LOL.....

Johnny England
12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
That is a beautiful bowl, stunning!

Bill Bolen
12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Glad to hear the wife's illness is not because of your turning!! Beauty of a rough out and my oh my you are a busy guy.:)

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Beautiful bowl Ken! Hope the rest of your harvest has grain like this one!

Hope your wife is feeling better!!

Steve, I still havent gotten to the really big stuff yet. I am honing my skills because I really want to turn a large platter from those crotches. And thanks to you and everyone who wishes my wife well. The ONLY good thing is that she cant talk, I figure when she starts yelling at me she will most positively be on the mend!

Michael Menzli
01-04-2012, 8:56 AM
So I think you need to give us a word of warning about crotch hunting... My wife asked what I was doing the other day and I responded with.. well honey what else but crotch hunting...Im trying to find the feather....:eek: This didnt go over very well... so word of warning...the term crotch hunting shouldnt be used around the misses...:D

Ken Hill
01-04-2012, 9:28 AM
I used goggle to search "cutting crotch" ...bad idea......you think your wife asked questions? LOL

Prashun Patel
01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Beautiful finish. You got great contrast on that feather. Mine aren't always as striking.

steven carter
01-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Very nice rough out Ken. I have turned ash, walnut, and cherry crotches, but not oak. I will have to be on the lookout for a good oak crotch. We have a lot of oak trees in this area, but for some reason I've not come across any for turning. I have turned a few pieces from Chestnut Oak, but they all came from limbs that have come down in storms, and dealing with reaction wood is not always the best.

Rob Price
01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Nope, I'm pretty sure it's the oak dust making your wife sick. You better let us handle those blanks for you, just to be safe... :)

Amazing, makes me want to buy a chain saw and start cutting down stuff... too bad I don't have any trees...