PDA

View Full Version : Sanding

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 1:26 PM
Well after giving it much thought, research, asking and talking with Vince I have decided to stay with the electric power sanding vs air. I don't have room for a bigger compressor and mine would being on the ragged edge I didn't want to take a chance with getting something I would be unhappy with. So called Vince at WoodNWonders and talking with him I decided to go with his electric sanding drill and some more new goodies. I bought 2 back up pads. A heavy duty thin and heavy duty thick. Got a 3" interface pad, a 3" tapered pad for sanding right up the edge, and a soft pad per his advice for the higher grits (280, 360, 400, and 600). Also got his disc organizer. I replinished my stock with the blue discs up to 220 and the pink cera-max discs from 280 to 600. So now have a angle drill setup up for the lower grits and one with the soft pad for higher grits. We also discussed pressure, speed of the drill and speed of the lathe. I finished a ash bowl with beads on it and the tapered sanding pad allows you to sand right to the edge with no degradation of the beads. Following Vince's instructions I am extremely happy with the bowl surface. I thanked my wife for her approval on this purchase. I have no affliation with Vinces WoodNWoders but with his advice and product I am a happy camper.

Alan Trout
12-28-2011, 1:58 PM
Bernie,

You have a nice setup there and a wonderful wife. Then again all of us who are married have wonderful wife's to put up with our turning addictions.:)

Alan

charlie knighton
12-28-2011, 2:14 PM
looks like a difference maker, Bernie

Jim Burr
12-28-2011, 2:44 PM
I converted to Vince's earlier this year. Huge difference! I still use my Mutabo ROS with his stuff on it...great combo!

robert baccus
12-28-2011, 3:12 PM
Nice set up. now you might consider buying a 10-12" extension. use this on the inside of bowls. hold a good rag at the disc end for guiding.--------------old forester

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 3:34 PM
Good move, Bernie! Vince is a great guy, and has good stuff. And, he won't oversell you - a rarity in this time.

You made the right decision on not going with air, too. Makes little sense to run a high HP motor to run a compressor to produce air, when you can run the little motor on the sander for a lot less money.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-28-2011, 3:39 PM
Bernie,
You won't be unhappy with what you bought. I did a study yesterday comparing the price of Vince's blue discs and his CeraMax discs to two other companies who sell discs. If I did my calculations right, based on buying a 50 pack per grit, Vince's discs are a bit less expensive compared to one of the companies and a lot cheaper than the other. Both the competing discs were aluminum oxide which is a terrific abrasive for wood but not as long lasting as Vince's blue or pink. Vince's discs are also oversized so they wrap over the edge of the rounded pads. If you need to sand right to an edge, Vince sells a tapered pad that exactly matches the size of his discs. I bought the same drill as you have and it has held up very well. I also have an angle drill from HF and it is taller and won't fit inside steep walled bowls when sanding inside the walls. If I found one thing that is lacking with Vince's discs it is the fact that they are not marked with the grit. I usually write the grit on the loop side with a pen.
faust

Dan Forman
12-28-2011, 3:43 PM
Looks like you are set to go there. I just got a few of the thick orange contour pads from Vince, which I hope will prevent the deep scratches that I have a hard time getting rid of. If not, I'll have to give him a call for more coaching.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 6:33 PM
Thanks to all. Yep I am happy with my choice and followed Vinces instructions. It does make a definite difference. Faust I did buy the taper one and it works like a champs. You can sand right up to square corners and not round anything over. He also suggested a sandpaper cleaner which I had. He said to keep them clean and they will last a long time.

Hayes Rutherford
12-28-2011, 7:03 PM
Bernie, thats as nice a setup as I've ever seen. Makes my stuff look primitive.

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2011, 8:57 PM
Congrats on your new system Bernie! Anything you can do to minimize the amount of time spent sanding is a wise investment!!

Rich Aldrich
12-28-2011, 9:06 PM
This looks like a good organizer. I was going to build a drawer for my discs, but I could just build a drawer to hold the organizer and leave more time for turning. Let us know how you like the sander as well. I have debated on buying one from Vince.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 9:20 PM
Thanks again. Rich I have used the sander twice now and I like the lever control way better than the C-man drill or the HF drill I am using. Just seems to give better control of the speed. I do like the organizer as it holds his 25 disc pack just fine. I removed 12 dividers to get what you see. Lid closes tightly to keep it clean.

Donny Lawson
12-28-2011, 9:26 PM
Bernie, looks like you will be set for a while. Looks to be a nice sander too. I need to get me one like that. Right now I am using my drill.

Greg Just
12-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Looks like a great setup. I'm working on getting my shop better organized and I need to get something like that disc organizer.

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I just got in a batch from vince and the disc's are clearly marked per grit

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks again. Greg that is one reason for the organizer. I need something to keep from going back and forth for discs. Ken mine are all marked to. I think I have maybe one or two that haven't been but the old sharpie works good for marking them.

steven carter
12-29-2011, 8:55 AM
Nice set up Bernie. I have been using the angle drill vrom Vince for a while now and really like the control I have on the speed with it. I also got a double sided DMT diamond sharpening stone for sharpening the skew, and it has really made a difference for me.