PDA

View Full Version : Install a modern chuck on an old hand crank drill

Gerald Simmons
12-28-2011, 1:07 PM
Hi folks! I have an old Miller's Falls #12 hand crank breast drill. It has the two-jaw chuck and I would like to replace that with a three-jaw if possible. Has anyone tried this? I would just buy another drill but this one is my "daily driver" in great original condition and I would rather keep it.

Mike Holbrook
12-28-2011, 1:15 PM
Hold the phone Gerald!

Highland Hardware & Veritas offer adapters made to fit most drill/screwdrivers that can be placed into the chuck allowing quick changes with most hex: drills, sockets or screwdriving devices. I like the little red LV one the best. I use them in Miller Falls braces and hand drills. I have ones that fit other manufacturers braces and drills and even all the different size Yankee push drill/screwdrivers.

Jim Koepke
12-28-2011, 1:28 PM
The difficult part would be finding a chuck with matching threads and being able to work with the end that moves the jaws.

Other than that I see no reason it wouldn't work.

You might find it easier to just pick up an old Millers Falls #2 and rehab it.

jtk

george wilson
12-28-2011, 1:39 PM
I can make any adapter to fit anything,unless the threads are metric. I can do them,too,but have a 1500# machine too near to the headstock of my large lathe to get at the gear train without a lot of heaving of heavy iron.

PM me for help.

Gerald Simmons
12-29-2011, 7:27 AM
Hold the phone Gerald!Highland Hardware & Veritas offer adapters made to fit most drill/screwdrivers that can be placed into the chuck allowing quick changes with most hex: drills, sockets or screwdriving devices. I like the little red LV one the best. I use them in Miller Falls braces and hand drills. I have ones that fit other manufacturers braces and drills and even all the different size Yankee push drill/screwdrivers.Mike, I did a search on this and could not find anything from these sources you mentioned. I admit, not being the brightest bulb in the box, it is highly likely I am not searching for the right item. Do you perhaps have a URL for the product you mentioned? Thanks, Gerald

Gerald Simmons
12-29-2011, 7:30 AM
Jim, you may be right. This is turning out to be way too much work and I may start looking for another drill instead. I really like the Schroeder 1/2 HD breast drill and I am leaning heavily in that direction. Thanks for the input.

Gerald Simmons
12-29-2011, 7:33 AM
George, I appreciate the offer but I am seriously thinking about just finding another drill. Thanks for the input, and I will keep your unique skill set in mind for future projects!

Edward Clarke
12-29-2011, 7:54 AM
I believe that he's looking at these accessories. Specifically the 1/4 inch at the bottom.

https://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32300&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1 (https://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32300&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1)