PDA

View Full Version : Sjoberg bench vise

Carol Johnston
12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a Sjoberg workbench that I bought several years ago. The front and end vises only open about 4 7/8 inches. There are many times (especially sanding) where I'd like for it to open much wider. I took the vise apart and found that the two end pipes are plenty long, but the center screw is what's too short. It's diameter is 3/4 inches, and the part that fits into the handle assembly is 5/8 diameter and is held in place by a pin. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find a center screw that is longer and would fit these dimensions? The screw goes into a nut assembly that I think I could replace if I need a different thread count. Thanks for your help!

Mattias Puide
12-28-2011, 4:18 PM
I would think that the screw is metric, since it is a Swedish bench, and we don't use imperial in Sweden. Is it an acme thread?

Carol Johnston
12-28-2011, 5:20 PM
I'm not sure what the thread is: It's much wider than what I could find at our local hardware store. I've bought some 3/4 inch threaded rod, a nut, and a 3/4 threaded plumbing T. I'm going to try to see if I can replace the threaded nut that's in a hole in the bench with the new nut. If I can do that, I think I can use the threaded rod, the T, and a dowel through the T to replace the main screw which opens and closes the wood vice--we'll see.

Charles Bjorgen
12-28-2011, 8:18 PM
Carol -- Perhaps I'm not fully understanding what you're trying to do on your Sjoberg bench but I wonder if you have not explored using the bench's vises in conjunction with its bench dogs inserted in the holes that run along the top and bottom edges of the bench. You should have gotten four bench dogs with your bench. Using the dogs you can fasten large panels firmly while you're sanding. I have probably the smallest bench they make and am still able to fasten fairly large pieces for sanding or hand planing. Or have I misread your problem?

Carol Johnston
12-31-2011, 8:45 AM
Well, the threaded rod idea didn't work--the threaded insert for the old screw wouldn't come out. I'm glad it didn't because, after reading Charles' post, I realized what I can do with the bench. I didn't get bench dogs with the bench, but could easily buy some. One question: since the vise is level with the bench top, did you drill holes in the vice to insert bench dogs in the vice to hold a panel in place while sanding?

Charles Bjorgen
12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
The end vise on my Sjoberg came with two dog holes about an inch or so from the end that line up with the holes in the bench. No dog holes in the side vise. I recommend measuring the existing holes first and buy the dogs to fit. I believe Rockler carries this bench so you could first test the dogs before buying them. I'd recommend getting four bench dogs. I measured the holes in my bench and found them to be a bit under 3/4 inch. Maybe you can even get the correct Sjoberg dogs. You might even find plans to make your own dogs. Good luck.