PDA

View Full Version : Hairline Crack in HDPE tank--Repair??

Norman Hitt
03-11-2005, 12:17 PM
I discovered that I hadn't been spilling fuel when fuelling my lawnmower all this time, but instead, it has a hairline crack about 9/16" long in the HDPE tank that leaks fuel. Naturally, the machine is out of warranty, and I'm wondering if there is a way to repair it with either some type of sealant or adhesive that will stick to the HDPE that would not be dissolved by gasoline, or if maybe one of the Plasting Welding tools might work.

Has anyone tried repairing anything like this or maybe have knowlege on this subject. I really need to get some mowing done soon and don't want to have wait for one to be shipped in, as none are available locally.

Thanks for any information you might be able to give me........Norm

Randy Meijer
03-11-2005, 2:56 PM
I have no idea?? But am making this post because it is a very interesting question and I want to get emails of any answers that are posted!!

Carl Eyman
03-11-2005, 3:43 PM
Norman: I don't know the answer, either, but might you call a local plastics house and see if they have a cement or a welding tecnique. I have heat sealed literally millions of polyethelene bags (they're not high density). If you can get some sheet teflon to cover the bottom of an clothes iron and go after it with a temperature around (I'm guessing) 220*and fool with it until you notice the plastic beginning to melt, you might be able to heal up that crack. Too high a temperature is just as bad as too low. If you want to try it, I'll make a phone call and get a better reading on the temperature. PM or e-mail me if you want me to check.

Norman Hitt
03-12-2005, 2:13 AM
Norman: I don't know the answer, either, but might you call a local plastics house and see if they have a cement or a welding tecnique. I have heat sealed literally millions of polyethelene bags (they're not high density). If you can get some sheet teflon to cover the bottom of an clothes iron and go after it with a temperature around (I'm guessing) 220*and fool with it until you notice the plastic beginning to melt, you might be able to heal up that crack. Too high a temperature is just as bad as too low. If you want to try it, I'll make a phone call and get a better reading on the temperature. PM or e-mail me if you want me to check.

That's an interesting possibility Carl, but due to where this crack is located, I wouldn't be able to get anything large like an iron close to it.

I did finally find a parts supplier locally that I was unaware of before today, and they had 9 in stock, so I plunked down the 24.95 + tax and bought one. I would still like to try to find a repair method to try on this one though, just in case I have the same luck later with the new one. I do think some heat range must have a possibility though, as that looks like the method that was used to join the top and bottom halves of the tank together.

Jerry Clark
03-12-2005, 9:59 AM
HD sells a glue that is suppose to work on gas tanks-- also Harbor Freight has a Plastic welder tool-- Hope that helps!

Randy Meijer
03-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I made up a little device to keep a "HOT" soldering iron from getting too hot when I work on small delicate stuff. I put a standard 110V recepacle in one side of the box and a 600 watt rotary dimmer switch in the other and used about 15' of an old extension cord that was missing the female end. The dimmer is wired to only one of the two outlets. So now I have recycled the ext cord and have variable voltage outlet to control my soldering iron or to dim a work light if necessary.

Point of this being that a little 60 watt iron from Radio Shack and the rig above might let you "weld" your gas tank??? If you have to go out and buy all of the above, it's probably not an economical solution; but if you are a packrat like me, you probably have most of this stuff already laying around!@!!

Norman Hitt
03-12-2005, 3:47 PM
I made up a little device to keep a "HOT" soldering iron from getting too hot when I work on small delicate stuff. I put a standard 110V recepacle in one side of the box and a 600 watt rotary dimmer switch in the other and used about 15' of an old extension cord that was missing the female end. The dimmer is wired to only one of the two outlets. So now I have recycled the ext cord and have variable voltage outlet to control my soldering iron or to dim a work light if necessary.

Point of this being that a little 60 watt iron from Radio Shack and the rig above might let you "weld" your gas tank??? If you have to go out and buy all of the above, it's probably not an economical solution;
((((but if you are a packrat like me, you probably have most of this stuff already laying around!))) @!!

Randy, I'm probably a "Bigger PackRat", but therein lies the problem, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING". :) :) :)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-12-2005, 9:51 PM
I would think JB Weld would do the job very well.

Randy Meijer
03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
The following is directly from the J-B Weld web site.

Q: Is there anything that J-B Weld WON'T bond to?

A: J-B Weld will not adhere to, or bond well to:

Any flexible rubber surface
Leather
Vinyl
Canvass
Polypropylene plastic
Polyethylene plastic
I've used J-B Weld on various plastics and while it adheres OK, it hasn't ever given me a strong bond. I think the J-B weld would seal your crack; but I also think vibration or a good solid knock by something hard would pop the stuff loose. I' d clean the tank up real good and then look at something like silicone sealant or "GOOP." You would have to check the label first....I have a gut feeling they would be OK with gas but am not sure???

David LaRue
03-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Norm,

We won't have grass growing here for another month or so... still snow on the ground. :mad: In Texas ... :cool: :)

Norman Hitt
03-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Norm,

We won't have grass growing here for another month or so... still snow on the ground. :mad: In Texas ... :cool: :)

.......In West Texas, the Bermuda grass hasn't started yet, Buuuuuut.... the winter Rye Grass and especially the WEEDS are now past due for the second mowing, and growing so fast you can almost see the growth in action, mainly due to the fact that we have had quite a bit of rain this spring following several years of drought. I guess the weeds just want us to know they're still there.

Robert E Lee
03-13-2005, 6:02 PM
I have used a product called "Seal All" for gas tank leaks. It has done a very good job on metal tanks. Comes in a tube like air plane glue looks about the same. clean up yhe tank and smear it it on.
Bob

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Guess I ought to read the label on the JB Weld. So far I have lucked out. Everything I have used it on has held up well. I also have a leaky gas tank on my antique mower. I'll br removing it and filling it with water and then emptying it out and drying it with a hot air gun before I start silver soldering the leaks and also attaching a mounting bracket that has broken loose. Fun! Fun! Fun!

bill simonsen
03-14-2005, 8:15 AM
Good morning, I have in front of me, some stuff I have used many times. maybe it'll work for you. By Versachem..Magnum Marine/Plastic Repair Epoxy Stick ITW Performance Polymers Consumer Div.

Part no. 44221 carded part no. 44229 . Get it from an auto parts dealer.

Keith July
03-15-2005, 9:09 AM
I used "Seal All" on my HDPE tank with no luck. It worked for two mowings and then started to leak again. I think vibration was the prolbem. Mowing season is still several weeks away so there is still time to get it fixed.( I hope).