PDA

View Full Version : Banded Walnut Vessel

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I rushed to get this one done for submission with my application to the Artisan Center. It will probably get another coat of WOP or two, and rebuffed. Finishing to this point started with shellac, then some lacquer, then WOP satin - buffed to a soft sheen.

Black walnut with recessed maple accent rings, dimensions are 5.5" wide x 5" tall. Hollowed to a bit over 1/8" as I wanted this one to have a little heavier feel to it.

The pyro work is the same as on the previous turquoise piece. I was careful to align the grain on the walnut as it was glued up, but strangely, just the slight difference in thickness of the maple ring and the amount of walnut removed to offset, produced what appears to be a misalignment at only one point on the form - weird! It looks fine everywhere else.

I know a lot of you don't like these rims, but I just have to get this worked out of my system - I kind of like them! All comments are welcome!

Roger Chandler
12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I think this one works very well, John.............the maple rings compliment the darker form and do not compete for the beauty or flow of the piece................good pyro design on the accent rings.

While this kind of form is classic pottery, it should be regarded well by the folks at the artisans center because it is readily recognizable as a classic form. You have done well!

Bill Bolen
12-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Love the color variations John. The form is great and now resides in my "Favorite turnings" folder. The burning in the Maple rings sure gives it a life of its own.

Dennis Ford
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
A very nice piece, I like the rim. The form looks great as does the wood.

Fred Belknap
12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
John that is a fine looking piece. I'm no art critic but I like what I see.

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Beautiful piece John. Love the embellishments and the contrasting wood.

Jim Burr
12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
It's a beauty John!! But it just seems...plain I guess. You have that dramatic punch usually and this one, for me anyway, doesn't have that. Technically, it was a bit tough I'd imagine. Your experiance with multiple layers really shows! Finish is as always, flawless!

Steve Mawson
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I like this form and treatment. At what point in the process do you glue on the maple?

Alan Trout
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
John,

That is a wonderful piece I really like the embellishment. I was just getting ready to start on a piece of very similar shape. Very well done.

Alan

Ken Hill
12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Great piece all the way around.

Joe Watson
12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
That came out great. I also like the photo alot, the soft shadow seams to highlights the piece to me. Your rim "experiment/series" gets a 2 out of 3 from me... this and the turquoise one look great, the other one just seamed alittle out of place. Good luck with your submissions.

mike ash
12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
John - I think you've created a great piece here! I really like the contrasting woods and it appears you are getting the Pyro thing down too.

Nice work, MIke

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, guys! I am heading over to Berea after lunch to deliver my application, so we will see if these later works are more to their liking.
It's a beauty John!! But it just seems...plain I guess. You have that dramatic punch usually and this one, for me anyway, doesn't have that. Technically, it was a bit tough I'd imagine. Your experiance with multiple layers really shows! Finish is as always, flawless!Jim, apparently "drama" isn't exactly what the Artisan Center is after. I didn't think I would enjoy this type of work, but it is relatively simple to do, and I am hopeful that it appeals to the Center. They sold some of my bowls, and if I can get my foot in the door, perhaps I can convince them to take some of the more artsy stuff.

I like this form and treatment. At what point in the process do you glue on the maple?Steve, I first glued a waste tenon on the walnut, faced off the top and glued on another waste block/tenon. Then I parted off the top (with the waste tenon) and leveled the cut face of the walnut, glued on a piece of 4/4 maple, then trimmed it down to thickness. I chucked the remaining portion of the walnut in another chuck and flattened the face, then glued it on the maple.

The above process was repeated for the other layer of maple. The top rim, of course, was glued on last.

I did establish the general form as I was going - just to get rid of some wood.

Bill Wyko
12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
John, that is absolutely georgous. Well done my friend. Your location of the contrasting wood in relation to the total size is right on. Once again, you knock it out of the park.

Hayes Rutherford
12-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice form and embellishments. The pyro work gives a sense of motion . You should have success in Berea.

Dick Wilson
12-28-2011, 1:03 PM
Hi John, I looked very closely and can't see any deviation. Beautiful design, very striking.

thomas prusak
12-28-2011, 1:13 PM
Beautiful piece John. Flipped over, the shape reminds me of a gear shift knob on a older Buick I used to own. Thought I would mention that to get some wheels turning.

Dan Forman
12-28-2011, 1:37 PM
I like both the form and the rim treatment a lot. Given the fairly uniform grain, the rims add interest and contrast, and the burning helps to keep the contrast from appearing too stark, while again adding interest with the opposite facing crescents. I predict they will like this one.

Dan

charlie knighton
12-28-2011, 2:21 PM
well done.....

Steve Vaughan
12-28-2011, 4:02 PM
Very nicely done there. I like the maple/walnut, they look so good together. And the detail of the pyro looks great too. I'm going a step further...I want it to have a little 'stopper' out of walnut sitting in the top. Nothing fancy, just plain and simple and not sitting out too far above the maple rim. Still, a very nice looking piece!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-28-2011, 4:13 PM
John,

I really like this piece....the form flows beautifully....the contrasting woods and embellishments....the finish. I really like this piece!

Jamie Donaldson
12-28-2011, 4:39 PM
Excellence in every way John, and the Artisan Center staff would be nuts to not accept your work, even if it is "fancy!" I would go nuts trying to uniformly space those burned crescents, did you lay them out with an index wheel on the lathe?

Brian Effinger
12-28-2011, 5:32 PM
Beautiful, John. It has a Greek feel to it.

I'm not sure what's not to like about the rim??? I think it goes well with the piece. :)

David DeCristoforo
12-28-2011, 6:06 PM
Very nice looking piece, John. the two pics look very different. I would almost think they were of two different pieces. It looks better to me in the first pic. Maybe the angle or the lighting or both. But either way, it looks sweet.

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the additional comments, and for taking the time to look!
I would go nuts trying to uniformly space those burned crescents, did you lay them out with an index wheel on the lathe?Jamie, they are just done freehand while the piece was still on the lathe. I am sure they are not exact, but one doesn't notice that - or, at least, I don't!:o

Very nice looking piece, John. the two pics look very different. I would almost think they were of two different pieces. It looks better to me in the first pic. Maybe the angle or the lighting or both. But either way, it looks sweet.David, the second pic is the end grain side of the form, and appears much darker. The angle of the pic is the same, though I think one is cropped a bit closer than the other.

Jamie Donaldson
12-28-2011, 7:44 PM
There are 2 variables in these 2 images David. There is a slight difference in exposure, and the side grain in the first frame will reflect light differently than the end grain in the second frame. Just as end grain absorbs more finish and is often darker than side grain, the same effect applies to light reflectance in an image comparison.

John Keeton
12-28-2011, 7:51 PM
There are 2 variables in these 2 images David. There is a slight difference in exposure, and the side grain in the first frame will reflect light differently than the end grain in the second frame. Just as end grain absorbs more finish and is often darker than side grain, the same effect applies to light reflectance in an image comparison.Yeah....that, too!!:confused: Thanks, Jamie, for a much more professional explanation - I basically just click the camera and hope for the best!

Scott Hackler
12-28-2011, 8:01 PM
Nice work John.

David E Keller
12-28-2011, 8:16 PM
Neat piece, John! I love this form with its rounded bottom, and I particularly like the larger of the two detail bands... I'm stuck looking at these photos on my phone, and the smaller band looks a little less crisp in regards to the pyro work... Knowing your work, I'm sure that's because of the limited resolution on my phone! Flawless finish, too ! Although I imagine this piece complies with the golden mean ratio, part of me wants to stretch the neck of this piece upward... Not sure why.

Roland Martin
12-28-2011, 8:26 PM
This is a really nice peice, John. I like the rim on this one the best, it seems to go well with this longer neck, and the bands are sweet. I don't think you need luck, but Good Luck anyway:).

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2011, 8:33 PM
Excellent work John! This piece sure finished up nice! Best of luck with the Artisan Center!!

Curt Fuller
12-28-2011, 9:40 PM
John, that's a beauty! You mentioned that you felt this type of work was somewhat simple to do. I think it's actually most difficult to get these forms that may appear simple proportioned well. And I think that's what makes this one so pleasing to look at. You've nailed the form and the contrasting rings along with the pyro work are icing on the cake. Good luck with this.

Michelle Rich
12-29-2011, 6:10 AM
oooohhhhh A#1 color combo.. Shape to die for... from the picture the pyro looks good. What's not to like about this? Next step, inlay??? I am envisioning this with a great inlay in the pyro areas of this!! real inlayed wood, or even carved out design with a liquid filler?? Lots of ways to go with this ...good luck at the Artisan center. this oughta be a hit!