PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of knives...

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2011, 8:20 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Reaver-Finger-Blade-Knife/dp/B003DPE2M6/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

"Santa" brought one of these to my 11 year old grandson....
(FWIW - I'm not "Santa" )
I'm curious how age appropriate eveyone feels it is?

It's all metal by the way & fairly sharp - but - naturally @ that price point is far from quality steel.

Myk Rian
12-28-2011, 8:35 AM
I can't see where it would be appropriate for anyone.
I see lamp shades being shredded.

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2011, 8:54 AM
I can't see where it would be appropriate for anyone.
Maybe - maybe - someone on the wrong end of the Spanish Inquisition - but - I'm not sure they wouldn't think it was a bit over the top... ;) LOL!

Belinda Barfield
12-28-2011, 9:38 AM
Inappropriate, totally. "You're gonna' put your eye out."

Randy Alkins
12-28-2011, 10:47 AM
No real purpose other than destructive therefore, in a day or two he would "lose it" when I saw it out of his sight.

curtis rosche
12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
i would think someone should make sure that thing gets ""lost"" and then offer to replace it with something better, like a good BoyScouts knife and a decent sharpening stone

John Pratt
12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
I see no real purpose to that knife unless he has a role in some other world dimension where dragons and wizards are a problem. I think my conversation would go something like:

"Sorry, but Grandpa borrowed your knife to see if it was good quality (you know how grandpa likes good quality tools) and somehow the blade snapped. I tell you what, why don't you and I go down to the store and see if we can't find a replacement like maybe ________(insert an appropriate knife here)."

My Grandpa gave me my first Old Timer when I was 7. I opened and closed it several times and then cut my finger trying to close it a fifth time. He reached over, took the knife and told me he would give it back when I was ready. I learned real quick about knife safety, because I really wanted that knife. He gave it back a couple months later and I made sure to be safer.

Paul McGaha
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Rich,

I agree with everyone else. That thing needs to get lost. Maybe buy something more useful to replace.

PHM

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2011, 1:34 PM
I hadn't seen the thing prior to Christmas day, so when I first saw it I thought it was some kind of kid's plastic toy.
When I finally did get ahold of it & saw that it was metal and sharp.....I turned to my wife and asked her if she was crazy for buying that thing! :O

My wife told me the grandson had said he wanted a cool looking knife he could - put on the shelf in his room as a decoration - just like grandpa does with some of his knives..
My heart of course just melted on the spot & the "medevil torture device" took on a new light. :)

My son and I both still think the thing is a bit over the top - but - we're having too much fun teasing grandma about getting it for the grandson.
& it's alot of fun teasing the grandson about getting something like that from his grandmother :D.

He (my grandson) has maybe a half dozen or so better knives that are more appropriate for cutting things.

Jeff Monson
12-28-2011, 1:43 PM
I'm going to disagree with you all. If you remember, Edward Scissorhands made quite a nice living with similar extensions. I'd maybe get a few more and put him to work.

Jerry Thompson
12-28-2011, 3:37 PM
I have a collection of fine hand make knives that will go to my three grandsons when they are old enough to appreciate them. They cost a few hundred dollars when new and now are worth a lot more. Just as in in woodworking the artists that make knives make things for a lifetime.
The grandsons will have to be about 30 before they get them.

Gary Hodgin
12-28-2011, 6:24 PM
I can only speak from my experience. A one a couple of months ago I gave my 2 grandsons, 8 and 10, a couple of smaller knives I'd inherited. We were going to do some whittling. I took the knives back for safe keeping about 15 minutes later. No cuts but a few near misses. I knew I'd pay the price if one got cut.

Joel Goodman
12-28-2011, 7:59 PM
Agreed. Lose that thing. It's not a useful knife -- it's a very dangerous "toy". There is no safe use for it. And if some other kid picks it up and gets hurt you'll need a very good lawyer....

Jim Matthews
12-28-2011, 9:36 PM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious - are there other children in the house?

What is the school policy concerning this sort of thing?
I can't imagine the temptation a 12 year old would feel to show this off.

What happened to collecting comic books or girlie mags?

ray hampton
12-28-2011, 11:58 PM
If you are afraid of the combination of one Kid + one knife then why not teach him how use the knife the properly way unless the knife are made for throwing at people , I am taking his side and I approve of the grandmother buying the knife

Rich Engelhardt
12-29-2011, 4:57 AM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious - are there other children in the house?

What is the school policy concerning this sort of thing?
I can't imagine the temptation a 12 year old would feel to show this off.

Not really any other children. My son does have visitation rights with his daughter (3 years old) though.
School poliicy is zero ______ ( fill in the blank). That discussion is best not to even start.

Yes - there is that temptation.
I believe "the claw" is best suited to a place of honor on the bookshelf in our house, right along side some of my "trophy knives".

I'll help him make a plexiglass faced display case for it. :)

Gary Hodgin
12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what is a "knife" like that used for? It looks like a really long and sharp finger nail to me.

Rich Engelhardt
12-29-2011, 8:05 PM
It's some kind of fantasy thing a ma jig.
I can't see much practical use for it.
Course, there isn't a whole lot of practical use for the civil war saber I have either.