PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS Positioner - 17" or 25"

Patrick Galpin
12-28-2011, 6:33 AM
I am about to order the LS Positioner system with the wonder fence as I am about to start building a lot of cabinets and drawers. Any thoughts on purchasing the 25" vs the 17" model? Not sure I can see a need for the larger unit but would welcome advice before laying out the cash. Thanks as usual to the community.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2011, 9:29 AM
Hi Patrick,

The only reasons I can think of to get the longer positioner would be

If you need to cut dadoes, flutes, slots on wide panels ( > 34"), the extra 8" gives you 16" wider capability.
this may be a bit of a stretch but you might need a larger area to route freehand with a template on some larger pieces. With the longer positioner you can move the fence farther away from the bit.

Maybe some of the cabinet pros can jump in and offer up better thoughts.

Brian

Carl Beckett
12-28-2011, 9:33 AM
I have one of each for router table work. I much prefer the shorter version since it takes up less space, and havent one time made a cut where I needed the extra travel. Not once.

YMMV

keith micinski
12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I would kill to have the shorter version. I have never been able to come up with one valid reason why I should need the extra length.

Michael Heffernan
12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm in agreement of going with the 17" version. I have one and have never needed the extra distance for any cut. I use mine all the time and love it.

Patrick Galpin
12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback, especially from the guys that have the unit. I couldn't see the need for the larger size, now I know the 17" unit is the right one to buy. Terrific info, another great reason why I support Sawmill Creek.

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Every time this comes up the consensus seems to be the 17", it seems rare that anyone uses the extra capacity and the extra room the larger one takes up seems to drive a lot of people nuts.

Bill Wyko
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I have the bigger one and use it regularly. I have my router tables back side in a corner so the part that extends off the back just extends into the corner. You can bet, if you get the short one, you'll suddently find a need for the long one. Kinda like that scrap piece of wood that you FINALLY throw away after years of laying around the shop. Then you need it the very next day.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-28-2011, 1:13 PM
Like Bill, I have the 25" and love it. However, truth be told, I've never needed the extra travel, but I'm sure someday I will and then I'll be glad I've got it. Case in point: I saved $1,000 buying a MiniMax CU300 with the 5.5' slider vs. the 8.5'. I've not needed the extra length often (almost never), but when I do, I certainly kick myself for not just "crying once," as the old saying goes.

Either way, the Incra is really a very nice unit 17 or 25 -- good luck!

ian maybury
12-28-2011, 2:18 PM
I bought the 25in and the large table, but it's clear that many/most don't handle jobs that need the larger unit.

Against that the downside is primarily the way the bar hangs out the back, but realistically that's only when you are using the travel. Beyond that the penalty is surely only 8in extra (less if you go for the large table anyway) which is hardly a big deal except in a very tight and specific situation.

'It's your exception that makes the rule'. No point in buying a 17in, and finding two weeks later that you are the 1 in 1,000,000 guy doing wide panels that needed the 25in....

ian

David Giles
12-28-2011, 5:02 PM
I made a kitchens worth of cabinets with an Incra system. Many cabinet panels are 22-24" deep and 30-35" high. Using a separate base, cabinet boxes are about 30" high. You need a 32" Incra system to cut cabinet panels in both directions. Router work is just the opposite. For Incra dovetails, a 17" system seems more than adequate.

I love the the Incra TS-LS system for the table saw. For router work, a nice like, but not love.

Alan Lightstone
12-28-2011, 5:18 PM
I haven't needed the longer travel once. In fact, I wish they sold a smaller version for my combination table saw / router table.

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2011, 6:55 PM
I have the 25"er. Keep in mind, if you get the bigger one, you need a larger table or you are wasting money. I built my RT and it is 54" X 34". That gives me about 3 or 4" past the mounting base for the arm. Jim.

keith micinski
12-28-2011, 7:46 PM
Just wondering the two people that said they use the extra 8 inches all of the time, would you care to elaborate what you use it for?