PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 693 Router Question

Sam Chambers
04-24-2003, 2:42 PM
A few weeks ago, the birthday fairies (cleverly disguised as my kids and wife) brought me a new Porter Cable 693 variable speed router kit, with the regular and plunge bases and the cool micro-adjustable edge guide.

The motor comes with the 1/4" collet installed, and the 1/2" included in the kit. I haven't taken a real close look at the router itself, but the manual doesn't say anything about how to change the collets. Do any of you folks have any hands-on experience changing the collet on this router?

Thanks,

Bill Roland
04-24-2003, 3:00 PM
Just unscrew one and screw in the other.

Jason Roehl
04-24-2003, 7:00 PM
Actually, this router has a collet retaining nut (the same nut that tightens bit in the collet). So, after you take out a 1/4" bit, unscrew the nut all the way, then pull out the 1/4" collet, insert the 1/2" collet (I believe it can go in either way), lightly thread the nut back on until you put in a 1/2" bit.

Dave Arbuckle
04-25-2003, 12:39 AM
Jason, I'm guessing you have an older model? ;) I believe Porter-Cable changed out that design about 20 years ago.

Current production (at least of PC690, if they changed back on the PC690VS I'm going to be red-faced) machines have captive collet/nut assemblies and work as Bill described.

Dave

Sam Chambers
04-25-2003, 9:44 AM
Thanks, guys. Hopefully I can manage to squeeze in a few minutes this weekend to look at the thing, between soccer games, music rehearsals, the NFL draft (GO BROWNS!!!) tilling and planting the veggie garden with Mr. 8-year-old, and church. I'll let you know what I find.