PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impression Gramercy Sash & Dovetail Saws

Mike Holbrook
12-27-2011, 7:21 PM
I just got my two saws this PM and had to try them out. I feel a little more like a surgeon than a woodworker using these tools. It is hard to go too light on the pressure, as soon as they start cutting the wood seems to suck them in. They cut very fast leaving a kerf that is incredibly small. I think it might actually be easier to start these saws in harder wood that might not suck the blades so deep so fast. I had read an older review where the reviewer commented that the set of the teeth was pretty wide. My saws seem to be the opposite extreme. The hammer set on the teeth on both my saws seems to be on the tips of the teeth and quite small. Certainly both saws are very sharp. I like both of the saw handles. I had read a review of the dovetail saw in which some reviewers found the handle to be a little fine in thickness and large in finger room. l would call my hands medium size. I found both handles to have a very comfortable and delicate feel to them.

My challenge, being new to this type saw, is keeping the saw straight and moving in the very small kerfs these saws make. I was very impressed with how easily both saws cut the scrap wood. The Sash Saw was particularly impressive in it's ability to both rip and crosscut faster than I thought it would or could. Once I get a little better at holding the saw straight in the kerf I am confident I will cut even faster.

Until now I have had my doubts about the whole idea of hand sawing. The smooth, fast cuts I am making out of the starting blocks are making me wish I had made this move to hand saws sooner.

Mark Dorman
12-27-2011, 7:44 PM
thanks for the review Mike. I've been thinking about getting a kit from them so it's good to here your impression of the saws.

Chris Griggs
12-27-2011, 8:28 PM
Thanks for posting Mike. Impressive how fast cutting they seem to be. I'll definitely need to pick up at least one Gramercy saw or kit one of these days, the sash in particular continues to intrigue me. Couple questions, how thick of stock and what species were you cutting through with each saw?

Peter Pedisich
12-27-2011, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the info, Mike.

I have the Gramercy 12" Carcase saw. And in my experience so far it has shown to have a distinctly different personality to my other saws (Footprint 8" Dovetail with probably 20ppi, a Bad Axe 10" DT and 14" Sash, and a Disston Keystone K1 with about 13 tpi). The Gramercy is easier to start in any circumstance, and cuts similar in speed to the K1 and the Footprint, while all are slower than the Bad Axe(s).

One thing with my Gramercy is that it consistently drifts to the right, and this may be due to the set and I'll need to run a stone along one side, just have not done it yet. Also, the handle has a pronounced 'hump' to the main grip, some may love it, some not. I don't mind it and appreciate the roomy design as my palm measure 3.75" across. It would be a good fit for even larger hands for sure.

Now from a purely aesthetic standpoint... I find the finish on the brass back, which on mine resembled a used but pampered 100+ year old saw, to be very nice. It sounds silly, but it has a soft glow that is just great to look at. The folks at Gramercy really do have a great sense of proportion and balance, and good taste.

Jerome Hanby
12-27-2011, 9:53 PM
Did you get the set that has 14" sash and 9" dovetail? Those are some fine looking tools and sound like they work as good as they look!

Mike Holbrook
12-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Yes Jerome I bought the Sash/Dovetail set, saves a little money.

Chris my first cuts were in scrap construction grade wood. Then I ran a little test with a chunk of Ash, maybe 3"x5". First cut, from left, is the Gramercy Sash Saw (14" plate-13 ppi), middle cut was my new Wenzloff Half-Back (18" plate-10 ppi), last cut on right is from the Gramercy Dovetail Saw (9"- 19 ppi). This may not seem right but I think the Gramercy Sash saw cuts faster than the Wenzloff Half-Back. I made the Half-Back from a kit but it was sharpened by Wenzloff. The Sash saw went about 2" deep in the Ash on the PDQ, in my opinion. Pictures below...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/6586034849/lightbox/

Chris Griggs
12-28-2011, 8:40 AM
This may not seem right but I think the Gramercy Sash saw cuts faster than the Wenzloff Half-Back.

Actually that makes perfect sense. The Wenzloff half-back is likely filed pure xcut so it will not cut fast at all for the rip cuts you showed. Turn that piece of wood 90 degrees and it should cut the fastest.

Thanks for the details and the pic!

Mike Holbrook
12-28-2011, 8:59 AM
Chris that is a weird piece of Ash (according to my Arborist buddy). I cut a big piece out of a log with my chain saw. The short side is the normal face of the board & the long side is the "edge" or end grain. I believe the cuts shown above are cross cuts.

Below is the end grain & the two saw cuts I made in this face. I still think the Sash saw cuts faster. The Wenzloff did not like cutting into the end grain at all, as you may be able to see. The Sash saw was like a "Honey Badger" it just did not care. I can't tell by staring at those little Sash Saw teeth why they cut so well. They look like rip teeth with some rake but I do not even see the fleam, ok, ok maybe my eyes are not that great but still! Kudos to Joel for this great all purpose saw.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/6587727681/