PDA

View Full Version : 2 Persimmon Bowls

Glenn Hodges
03-11-2005, 11:10 AM
These 2 wee persimmon bowls are offered for you to look at. One has malachite inlay because of the blandness of the wood. They have been finished with the tung oil solution, then buffed. If you have never tried persimmon it is one of the hardest woods in America. It was used as the woods on golf club drivers. It cuts easy when green, but very hard when dry. The finished product is as smooth as glass, and begs to be touched. As always your comments are welcomed.

Ted Shrader
03-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Glenn -

Very nice. I like the natural edge.

Ted

Ed Scolforo
03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Glenn: Beautiful lines and wood. I really like them both!

Ed

Michael Stafford
03-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Very pretty Glenn! :D I have never turned persimmon but have eaten them. If you eat your corn flakes out of one of these bowls will it make your mouth pucker? :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
03-11-2005, 1:34 PM
Glenn,

They both look to be a very fine product! As you said, super smooth. Good job on them both.

Dave Brandt
03-11-2005, 3:28 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Both of them. The natural edge one is an art piece.

Jerry Clark
03-11-2005, 6:45 PM
NICE as always-- you got the inlay down pretty good! Good band on plain wood.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-11-2005, 8:22 PM
Those are SWEET!

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
03-12-2005, 2:28 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Looking back at the pictures I realize the foot on the natural edge piece is to large, but heck I have never made a perfect bowl, but I am always trying.

Jerry Clark
03-12-2005, 8:36 PM
I also looked at the natural edge bowl again and I think the base is about right. It looks about 1/3 rd the diameter. If it is to small it looks like it will tip easy. My 2 cents!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-12-2005, 9:38 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Looking back at the pictures I realize the foot on the natural edge piece is to large, but heck I have never made a perfect bowl, but I am always trying.

I guess I would have to agree with you regarding the foot, but I still wouldn't turn it down if you offered it to me.(-: Hope some day to get my hands on some persimmon. You did the usual nice job on both pieces.

Pat Salter
03-12-2005, 11:34 PM
ok, now you got me REAL curious. you showed another bowl with a differant stone ring and I loved them both. Where can I learn to do that? any websites?
As far as the foot on the natural bowl, I'd leave it. otherwise it would seem top heavy to me. But what do I know. I can't even make one of those.....yet. ;)

Glenn Hodges
03-13-2005, 8:42 AM
Stephen Hatcher wrote an article in "Wooturning Design" about inlaying. He is a master at this, his web site is at

http://www.stephenhatcher.com/

I think you will find it very helpful. I was using Inlace before I started doing it with real stone which I like better, good luck.

Pat Salter
03-15-2005, 1:41 AM
Stephen Hatcher wrote an article in "Wooturning Design" about inlaying. He is a master at this, his web site is at

http://www.stephenhatcher.com/

I think you will find it very helpful. I was using Inlace before I started doing it with real stone which I like better, good luck.

Thanks Glen, I added that one to my favorites.