PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Creeker Visit

Tim Rinehart
12-27-2011, 6:25 PM
I briefly (30 seconds) met Nate Davey at the NC Symposium this past November, but I was scrambling around to keep our room manned, so didn't have much time to chat. Nate, knowing my troubles and struggles with photo setup and retouch afterwards most generously offered a visit recently, and that's a couple hours away for him.

Nate had on prior occasion mentioned an interest in work and lathe used by Anatoly Tsiris, and since Anatoly lives only about 10 minutes away, we were able to combine his lesson to me with a visit to see what "turning large" is all about at Anatoly's shop.

We headed over to Anatoly's shop and he had an ash log in the Nichol's lathe, about 2 feet in diameter and about 5 feet long. He showed us his process for roughing using a very robust Thompson roughing gouges in a custom handle. Anatoly talked about the modifications he's made to the lathe, including replacement of the bearings that look every bit of 2.5" diameter by eyeballing. Nate got some other stills of that piece he may be able to post.

We then walked over to Anatoly's garage to see "roughed works", which are fully turned, just not finish sanded. Must have been several dozen of these huge forms, the smallest of which most of us would push the limits of our PMs, Robusts, VMs and Oneways to churn out.

Back to my shop, we talked about some stuff I have in process, the small carbide tools I made over the past few weeks, techniques and wood stashes. I just recently got some flamed cherry that I had sealed, and sent him back with a couple pieces of that wood....but like many of us, there are limits to what the Finance Minister will allow to take up room in the common areas, i.e garage/basements.
Finished up by Nate showing me how to do some better setups that I hadn't even explored with my SLR digital camera, getting the shot setup to take about 4-8 secs, with a much better depth of field (high F-stop and longer shutter setting...right Nate??). I have a much better starting point to work on now, besides just relying on the software corrections alone after taking the pic.

Great visit, it was good seeing Nate for longer time than our first meeting. Thanks again Nate, you're welcome anytime!

Ken Hill
12-27-2011, 6:38 PM
Good lord thats some big spinny stuff!

Roger Chandler
12-27-2011, 6:38 PM
Is Anatoly located near Ashville.........Black Mountain? The reason I ask, is because I visited an artists shop back in 1998 before I even got into turning........the work fascinated me at the time and it was very large vessels like these. I don't remember the name but that is a great artisans community there......

Visited when I went to see the Biltmore Estate.

David E Keller
12-27-2011, 7:51 PM
Sounds like a great visit! I would have loved to tag along for the whole thing.

BTW, I suggest you rezone the garage/basement from 'common area' to 'turner domain'... That should fix the storage issue!

John Keeton
12-27-2011, 8:17 PM
Fantastic visit!!! I am assuming that Nate is the tall, good looking guy in the second pic, with the military look about him??

Nate Davey
12-27-2011, 8:21 PM
I want to thank Tim for his amazing hospitality and taking time out of his vacation to show me around. His craftsmanship is of the highest order and it reminded me of the fact that, I have a long ways to go. He definitely wins the award for the coolest shop in Eastern Carolinas. Topics covered; finishing, hollowing, carving spirals, vacuum chucking and tooling. Finally, a tour of all of his amazing turnings in his house/art gallery. Absolutely worth the 4 hours of driving.

Anatoly is a great guy as well and his lathe is something else. In addition to the Nichols steel, there is 500lbs of sand in the headstock, $1500 bears and a $2500 5hp DC motor. His hoisting system has one leg the pivots on the back of the lathe, then a wheeled a-frame on the other end. Finally, a couple steady rest. I took a short video of him turning but don't think I can post it here.
A tour of his drying room was next, there are a piece or two in there.
Finally, to prove that the "Flame Cherry" exists.

Thank you again Tim for the great day. Hope the tips with the camera help.

Nate Davey
12-27-2011, 9:20 PM
Fantastic visit!!! I am assuming that Nate is the tall, good looking guy in the second pic, with the military look about him??
John, I'm the one without the beard :)

Tim Rinehart
12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Glad to see you posted the pics from Anatoly's...does better justice than mine.
Yea, and of course the tall good looking fellow is Nate!

Scott T Smith
12-28-2011, 9:16 PM
Definitely sounds like a great visit (and those are some incredible pix!).

Scott

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2011, 9:58 PM
Great photos guys! Thanks for sharing! The tour of Anatoly's shop would have been amazing!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2011, 12:06 AM
It looks like a great visit. Boy Anatoly's shop is something else.