PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Surprise

David DeCristoforo
12-27-2011, 1:54 PM
Got home from Nevada last night to find this lovely pile of beautiful California claro walnut sitting by the door of my "shop".

My son has a friend who recently moved to a small farm outside of Davis. It was previously home to a woodworker who used the barn for a shop. Evidently the guy did some turning and also harvested some local woods. He left these sitting in a corner when he left and my son's friend told him he could take them.

These are ten years old at least, sealed and air dried.

mike ash
12-27-2011, 2:18 PM
David - good looking pile of walnut. 45 years ago I attended college in Chico and Davis and watched as the city crews did street widening, taking down black walnut trees. In those days, you could get permission to take rounds home and I conned the cres to leave them a bit longer for me. But the 30" diameter and 8 ft. logs were a bit much for my little Jeep CJ5, so I made use of my logging choker cables and literally drug them home for a mile or two down the city streets.......but late at night. I kept them wet until my dad (who was a woodshop teacher.....old Santa Rosa master craftsman) could get there to mill them up and take them to his drying room. There were many pieces of furniture and cabinets that he and his students made from my logging ventures down there. A couple of years ago he gave me the last few pieces that remained and I am looking forward to putting them to proper use.Enjoy the turnings, Mike Ash

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2011, 3:21 PM
Wow! Merry Christmas David!! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Bill White
12-27-2011, 4:04 PM
Ok! I'll jump in. YOU SUCK BIG TIME.
Let's see the results. I'll bet that they'll be AMAZING!
Bill

Dan Forman
12-27-2011, 4:08 PM
Merry Christmas to you! That ought to stoke the creative fires.

Dan

John Keeton
12-27-2011, 5:04 PM
Claro walnut is fantastic - dry Claro walnut - now, that is pretty close to perfect!!! Great haul, David!! You are going to love turning that stuff.

David E Keller
12-27-2011, 5:59 PM
It looks brown. I guess that's good if you like brown stuff.

Mike Cruz
12-27-2011, 6:09 PM
Now that's a Christmas present! Have fun, DD.

Roger Chandler
12-27-2011, 6:16 PM
That ought to make some pretty stuff...............looks like you have enough wood to keep you at the lathe for at least a day or two! ;) Good for you David!

David DeCristoforo
12-27-2011, 6:20 PM
At the rate I'm going, Roger, it might last several years! So little time! BTW, your pear wood is on the rack, cracks and all... Report scheduled for the near future...

Scott Hackler
12-27-2011, 6:24 PM
David, did that box I sent you ever show up??

David DeCristoforo
12-27-2011, 9:30 PM
Might be. My son was picking up mail while we were gone. There are two boxes at
his house that he will drop by tomorrow.​

Kathy Marshall
12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Now that's a nice surprise to come home to!