PDA

View Full Version : Side Rebate Planes

Bill Haumann
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm looking into side rebate planes, and while I would usually opt for the wooden planes, it seems the only advantage over the 98/99, LN, or Lee Valley, is if a depth of more than 1/2 inch is needed, and the wooden side rebates wouldn't work near as well in a stopped groove.

Are there any other significant differences to consider?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2011, 12:28 PM
The only thought that comes to mind for me is that I've yet to see a wooden side rebate plane in good condition - the ones I've seen always seem to be worn out or warped.

I'm more of the mind that if the groove isn't wide enough, it's easier to add or adjust a rebate on the mating piece, but I know there are times where a side rebate would have been a godsend.

Jack Curtis
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I stumbled onto a couple or three wooden side rebates, and they were in generally bad shape, particularly the blades had been used up; so to use them I'd have to reblade them or cut away more of the "sole" than one would want. Also, the bases were way too thick to get into the bottoms of the cuts. I gave up and bought a Stanley 79.

Jack

Jim Koepke
12-27-2011, 2:42 PM
I got lucky with a lot of patience to acquire a pair of Stanley #98/99 side rebate planes.

I had a #79 but sold it.

When rebates get deeper than 1/2" the #98/99s can be used without the depth stop if needed to clean up the lower areas.

The both sides in a single plane are a bit fidgety with having to reset the depth stop when changing from side to side. It may seem like a small point... Then you have to readjust the stop a bunch of times it is a big PITA.

My suggestion would be to go for the LN pair if you do not want to take chances on ebay.

Many of the ones I have seen on ebay do not have the depth stop. Believe me, you want the depth stops.

Here is a little bit on side rebate planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?116419-Planes-and-a-Few-Things-to-Look-For&p=1176257#post1176257

jtk

Bill Haumann
12-27-2011, 3:27 PM
Thank you, very helpful.

James Taglienti
12-27-2011, 8:43 PM
I have the stanley 98 99 and the veritas side rabbet... I like the veritas just a little better but the 98 99 have a longer toe which is nice. Also the veritas will always have a sharp cutter exposed. The mouth is almost 1/8 inch on it which i thought was a little excessive. Once i start a cut there is really no remarkable difference in how either brand performs.

JIM strangely enough the first thing i did when i got the veritas was take off the depth stop and stick it in a drawer full of "awkward" plane parts

Jim Koepke
12-27-2011, 8:47 PM
JIM strangely enough the first thing i did when i got the veritas was take off the depth stop and stick it in a drawer full of "awkward" plane parts

As the old song goes, different strokes for different folks.

Personal preference is seldom wrong...

jtk

James Taglienti
12-27-2011, 8:54 PM
As the old song goes, different strokes for different folks.

Personal preference is seldom wrong...

jtk

So why do i keep bringing home rusty buckets of junk from any auction that will take a check?:D

Derek Cohen
12-27-2011, 9:50 PM
I completed a review of the Veritas a few years back, in which comparison was made with the LN #98/99 and the Stanley #79 ...

http://inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritasSideRabbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
12-28-2011, 1:51 PM
So why do i keep bringing home rusty buckets of junk from any auction that will take a check?

So you can derust them and put some money back in to the checking account?

jtk