PDA

View Full Version : European Work Flow Question - cutting tenons on a shaper

Charles Brown
12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a question as to following the European style of cutting tenons using a shaper. I understand (and like) the process of using rabbeting heads to make the two large cheek cuts on a tenon, but how do the Europeans make their shoulder cuts? Or a haunched shoulder cut? Clearly it's not done on the table saw (non-through cuts being a no-no). Bandsaw?

When I used a single ended tenoner at work we would just make the final cuts on the band saw. I never liked this method as the off-cut tended to get jammed between the fence and the blade. I also thought it was less accurate and precise than other methods of cutting tenon shoulders.

I'm really curious as to how this overall process works in a European shop. I like a lot of their regulations with regards to safety and would like to continue working in a safe environment.

Van Huskey
12-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't know for sure but do they do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AfqEjTapA <method for CMT tenon bit

Stephen Cherry
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I've been wondering about this also. One thing that I have tried is to remove the top disc to cut the top shoulder using the bottom disc only on the shaper, leaving it a little proud for a sharp chisel.

Peter Quinn
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't work in Europe, but my shaper manual was born there, and it shows it like the video Van posted. Second set up with a rabbit head to make the haunches. I use a BS and a chisel to clean up.

Stephen Cherry
12-27-2011, 1:18 PM
Just watched the video, with the comment that if you have nickers on the sides of the cutters, these may protrude a little, so you might want to leave the top-bottom cut a little proud. Since you have a good reference shoulder, a chisel would make short work of finishing it up.

David Kumm
12-27-2011, 1:45 PM
the euros often use double cutters that adjust to cut both sides of the tenon at the same time. Some have nickers, some not. Take a look at videos from Oella for some examples. I have a double cutter that you dial the width and run the wood through once. It does take a big shaper though as the tenon heads weigh 7-12 lbs. Dave

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2011, 2:23 PM
I make the cheek cuts using rebate cutters, then make the haunch cut using a rebate cutter adjusted for height.................Regards, Rod.