PDA

View Full Version : Should I tell my wife?

jeff . whitaker
12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Ok... before Christmas my Son in law started hanging around in the shop and before long he was hooked ( it was the lathe's fault) We were making gifts and as a joke I hung a sign outside
" He-Man Womin Haters Club No Gurls allowed:p ala the Little Rascals...
all in fun, my wife ,Sister-in-law, Daughter smiled and that was that(or so I thought) Christmas day my wife of 35 years got tired of running "THE BOYS" out or the kitchen.. we were only allowed in to bring the turkey and ham in from the smoker...but it was too much fun snitching bites ect that my wife went to the computer and printed up her own sign
ahhmmm....
( She-Male Man Haters Club no Boys allowed) :eek: and posted it in plain view on the fridge

Everyone started laughing and no one will tell her what is wrong....she stares at that sign and says
"I can not see what is so funny!!"
I tried to take it down tonight and she put it back up... we have company coming over Wed night....
Should I tell her?:confused:

curtis rosche
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
not what i thought was gonna be the topic when i read the title, but i would say tell her to google search the whole sign phrase and then leave it at that.

Van Huskey
12-27-2011, 2:36 AM
Yes, it is a husband's/wife's job to humiliate their spouse in private to prevent same from happening in public. Maybe print a corrected sign (male replaced by woman) and replace it. I on the other hand would leave it since funny is always funny in our house.

Jim Creech
12-27-2011, 7:43 AM
Yes! ! By all means correct this. It is my experience that if you correct your wife you will undoubtedly suffer as she will ,most probably,misinterpret your good intentions as an insult to her intelligence. On the other hand if you do not (with the utmost delicacy and diplomacy) explain the "error" and she suffers some embarrassment or indignity at the hands of her peers, you will suffer mightily! In either case you will suffer. Choose the lesser.
Good Luck!

Derek Gilmer
12-27-2011, 9:17 AM
I'd go with a combo. Tell her what she-male refers to. And if she doesn't believe you bet her a new tool that a google image search for she-male will not end well.

Belinda Barfield
12-27-2011, 9:28 AM
As a female, I say explain it and save her the embarassment. If you don't explain it chances are one of your guests will, then she will ask if you "knew this" and if you say that you did the suffering will be terrible for you. :D On the other hand, it is pretty doggoned funny and I would be tempted to let her figure it out on her own. If she had the guts to put of the sign, she should have to deal with the consequences.

Greg Peterson
12-27-2011, 9:47 AM
Fact of the matter is that you are toast either way. I am in awe, and fear of my wife's ability to turn the tables and make me out to be the bad guy without even batting an eye. I suspect it is a talent shared by most women.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2011, 9:50 AM
You realize if you admit you know what it means that you are in trouble for just that alone, right?

Myk Rian
12-27-2011, 9:52 AM
Stand by the fridge pointing at the sign, while laughing and snickering. :D

David G Baker
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Not telling her could be hazardous to your health and well being. Matt also may be right, your knowing what it means may make her look at you in a different light.

Rich Engelhardt
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Bingo!
Greg and Matt hit the nail right on the head...

As far as telling her goes....
I'm the guy that refers to his ambidextrous wife as being "bi".... :D so you're asking the wrong person//

Charlie Reals
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
As a female, I say explain it and save her the embarassment. If you don't explain it chances are one of your guests will, then she will ask if you "knew this" and if you say that you did the suffering will be terrible for you. :D On the other hand, it is pretty doggoned funny and I would be tempted to let her figure it out on her own. If she had the guts to put of the sign, she should have to deal with the consequences.

As a male with all females in the family I gotta go with Belinda 100% lol

Derek Gilmer
12-27-2011, 10:19 AM
You realize if you admit you know what it means that you are in trouble for just that alone, right?
Say you watched the "Hangover" one or two and learned about it there. It is your safest bet.

Mike Henderson
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what's wrong with her sign. If it's the word "male" in "She-male", I've seen that used in many places as slang to replace the word "Female".

The only other way to read it is as "She" and then "Male Man hater's club". Then you could take the words "Male Man" to refer to "Mail man". But with the hyphen between "She" and "Male" it's clear she meant to have it read as "She-male", slang for "female".

Mike

Derek Gilmer
12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure what's wrong with her sign. If it's the word "male" in "She-male", I've seen that used in many places as slang to replace the word "Female".

The only other way to read it is as "She" and then "Male Man hater's club". Then you could take the words "Male Man" to refer to "Mail man". But with the hyphen between "She" and "Male" it's clear she meant to have it read as "She-male", slang for "female".

Mike

I think the term she-male has been...taken over by another subset of folks.

Moses Yoder
12-27-2011, 10:53 AM
It appears to me there are a whole lot of folks in here who are discriminating against the she-male. There is nothing wrong with the sign, so telling your wife there is could not possibly be the right thing to do. There are thousands of she-males around the world who would probably love to have such a sign in their kitchen. Perhaps instead of telling your wife there's something wrong with her sign, you could accomodate her by buying yourself some nice fish net stockings and a slinky black dress to wear for your company.

Mike Henderson
12-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I think the term she-male has been...taken over by another subset of folks.
That usage is outside my experience.:)

Mike

Van Huskey
12-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemale

jeff . whitaker
12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm the guy that refers to his ambidextrous wife as being "bi".... :D
ROTFLMAO!! Now THAT is funny!

Mike Henderson
12-27-2011, 12:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemale
There's a line in that article, "The term she-male has been used since the mid-19th century, when it was a humorous colloquialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloquialism) for female, especially an aggressive woman" which is the definition I'm familiar with. I'm not familiar with the sex-work definition. Not a place I hang around.

Be careful, she might ask you how you know that definition of the word.

Mike

jeff . whitaker
12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok... before Christmas my Son in law started hanging around in the shop and before long he was hooked ( it was the lathe's fault) We were making gifts and as a joke I hung a sign outside
" He-Man Womin Haters Club No Gurls allowed:p ala the Little Rascals...
all in fun, my wife ,Sister-in-law, Daughter smiled and that was that(or so I thought) Christmas day my wife of 35 years got tired of running "THE BOYS" out or the kitchen.. we were only allowed in to bring the turkey and ham in from the smoker...but it was too much fun snitching bites ect that my wife went to the computer and printed up her own sign
ahhmmm....
( She-Male Man Haters Club no Boys allowed) :eek: and posted it in plain view on the fridge

Everyone started laughing and no one will tell her what is wrong....she stares at that sign and says
"I can not see what is so funny!!"
I tried to take it down tonight and she put it back up... we have company coming over Wed night....
Should I tell her?:confused:

Update 12/27/11 as of 8:00 AM.... Ok so everyone is gone and Judy and I are here at the house alone.. I took your suggetions and Googled the word "SHE-MALE" opened up the sites in a couple of new tabs (saw some things I did not want to see:eek: ) and called her in to the office... I wish I had put up the video recorder so that I could show ya'll her reaction.....
needless to say there are still some things that can shock a woman of a certain age....*LOL*
I guess you can take a Southren Baptist girl out of the mountains of east Tenn.. but you can't take the Hillbilly out of the girl...

Charlie Reals
12-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Update 12/27/11 as of 8:00 AM.... Ok so everyone is gone and Judy and I are here at the house alone.. I took your suggetions and Googled the word "SHE-MALE" opened up the sites in a couple of new tabs (saw some things I did not want to see:eek: ) and called her in to the office... I wish I had put up the video recorder so that I could show ya'll her reaction.....
needless to say there are still some things that can shock a woman of a certain age....*LOL*
I guess you can take a Southren Baptist girl out of the mountains of east Tenn.. but you can't take the Hillbilly out of the girl...

Methinks you saved yourself from sudden death lol:eek:

Moses Yoder
12-27-2011, 3:08 PM
That is a great article. I found the "Related Terms" especially educational.

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2011, 9:09 PM

Well, you could hit him with a Banjo..;)

Brian Effinger
12-29-2011, 10:39 PM
WOW! I don't think I've laughed this hard at a thread in quite a while.
Thanks guy's! :D Of course, now my wife thinks I'm nuts for laughing at a woodworking website.

Lloyd Kerry
12-29-2011, 10:42 PM
um, Mike.. maybe you want to Google image that term as well, lol

Van Huskey
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
OK OK but what is the status of the sign....

Mike Henderson
12-29-2011, 11:46 PM
um, Mike.. maybe you want to Google image that term as well, lol

No, there are some things I'd rather remain ignorant about.

Mike

Paul McGaha
12-30-2011, 6:39 AM
I think I'd make her a new sign.

Derek Gilmer
12-30-2011, 9:17 AM
No, there are some things I'd rather remain ignorant about.

Mike
You are a wise man.

Brian Kent
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
That usage is outside my experience.:)

Mike

Good to hear, Mike!

jeff . whitaker
12-30-2011, 1:48 PM
OK OK but what is the status of the sign....

Sign was thrown away....
BUT! I salvaged it out of the trash... think I am going to decoupage it... then the next time she teases me that she is ALWAYS right.. I can give to her...
(and set up that bed in the work shop I have been talking about....already have a coffee pot, fridge and computer out there, what else does an old Redneck need!)
Jeff

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 3:41 PM
Jeff, you sound like me, a glutton for punishment.

Belinda Barfield
12-30-2011, 4:06 PM
Sign was thrown away....
BUT! I salvaged it out of the trash... think I am going to decoupage it... then the next time she teases me that she is ALWAYS right.. I can give to her...
(and set up that bed in the work shop I have been talking about....already have a coffee pot, fridge and computer out there, what else does an old Redneck need!)
Jeff

Decoupage it, or frame it, and give it to her for Christmas next year.

jeff . whitaker
12-30-2011, 9:45 PM
OOOOO.... I LIKE her this women is EVIL!!
*BIG GRIN*
Jeff