PDA

View Full Version : What turning items did you get for Christmas?

Alan Trout
12-26-2011, 5:59 PM
I figured I would start a thread so we could all have our "Christmas Gloats" in one spot. So lets see what you got.

Evidently I was a good boy. My wife, mother-in-law and mother figured they would keep me alive for a few more years and got me a Trend Airshield Pro. I also got at Kindle Fire which may not be directly turning related but there are many handy Android apps such as volume converters etc. for me to use. Here is a pic of the Airshield Pro.

Alan

David E Keller
12-26-2011, 6:28 PM
You and I must have behaved similarly this year, Alan... I got the same thing! I turned a little today just to try it out, and I think I'm gonna like it.

Jim Burr
12-26-2011, 6:30 PM
Given the substantial chance that I may pay you a visit in the coming New Year, it would be best I found you in that hood. I love mine and to keep you turning for many to come...WEAR THE SUCKER!! Get the headband adjusted to you and it is a pleasure to wear...and the Arizona summer will be your friend...much like the 110 in Fresno! Merry Christmas from your family!!

Nate Davey
12-26-2011, 6:39 PM
Congrats on the Trend, Alan. I absolutely love mine. Jim is right, if you don't get it on your head just right, it can be uncomfortable. Just readjust 'til you find the sweet spot. It's there. My sweetie bought me a new Multicam turning smock. I've been wearing Multicam since '08, so why not at home too. :D

Steve bellinger
12-26-2011, 6:54 PM
Well i didn't get any turning goodies.:( I needed a new compresser i could take on the job sites. My old portable burned up . Do have a 60 gal 5 hp at the shop but can't be hauling that around. Didn't really need the guns but they came with it so that was good as all my guns are like me. Old and worn out.:D217248217249

Jim Burr
12-26-2011, 6:58 PM
Ha!!! and well done Nate!! I have to wear the uncool stuff..Khaki...it sucks but we get patches, portable ventilators, helicopters and all the fun stuff. I scored a collet chuck, tons of wood, filters and peels for my Trend and a Keurig Coffee maker...coffee is essential to turning!

Jim Burr
12-26-2011, 7:05 PM
Well i didn't get any turning goodies.:( I needed a new compresser i could take on the job sites. My old portable burned up . Do have a 60 gal 5 hp at the shop but can't be hauling that around. Didn't really need the guns but they came with it so that was good as all my guns are like me. Old and worn out.:D217248217249

If you need a framing nailer...Merry Christmas!!! Nice Santa stuff bud...tear it up when the weather melts!

Alan Trout
12-26-2011, 7:09 PM
Some pretty cool stuff. David I did try mine and I think it is going to be fine. Nate that is a cool smock and Steve it is always handy having a portable compressor. I have two.

Alan

Steve bellinger
12-26-2011, 7:10 PM
If you need a framing nailer...Merry Christmas!!! Nice Santa stuff bud...tear it up when the weather melts!

Jim i have 2 fairly new paslode framing guns. just the old senco brad, and finish guns are over 18 years old.

Steve Kubien
12-26-2011, 8:14 PM
New faceshield, gradient photo background and some milk paint. Me is a very happy boy.

Dave Mura
12-26-2011, 8:35 PM
Some nice gifts you guys got!
http://chdsolutions.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/beda24c1e1b46055dff2c39c98fd6fc1.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2011, 8:36 PM
Didn't get much but did get a sanding caddy for Vince's 3 3/8" sanding discs. Filled with with 50 disc ea of 80, 100, 150, and 220 in the blue discs. In pink 280, 320, 360, 400, and 600. 3 sanding mandrels, 3 pads from soft to radius, and Vinces sanding drill.

But the most precious Christmas gift was getting to spend our second Christmas with our 8 yr old grandson.

Harry Robinette
12-26-2011, 9:30 PM
I got 2 3' flex hoses to hook up to the Vega for dust collection, A new dial indicator and magnetic mount for the metal shop,3 carving burrs 2 football course and fine and 1 ball 1/4" course, plus a set of two 4 1/2" Kutsall carbide angle grinder carvers.Also have some cash to go to Doug T. next week and pick-up some tools will post picture when I get them. I was definitely NOT on the naughty list this year.

Bill Wyko
12-26-2011, 10:08 PM
A Glaser 10V and a Glaser Scraper. I know, I know, if there's no pics, it didn't happen. I need a new card for my camera so I'll post pics asap. looks like you guys scored pretty good too. (I had to buy my own tools) LOML bought us a new TV though. My best gift, was my daughter coming in from California to visit. I miss her, she's a great kid.

Bill Bulloch
12-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I got a Granberg Chain Saw Mill and some ripping Chains. I gave it a test drive today works great. I am finally able to cut flat blanks with an even thickness.

Derek Gilmer
12-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Got pretty luck this year, picked up a used talon chuck for my wife to give me, and she talked her parents into getting a wolverine setup + varigrind jig and a bowl gouge of my choosing (to a reasonable price, see other thread on the matter).

Plus maybe the best of all a little note drawn as a coupon with "Two days of shop time" on it. That'll come in handy to play with the new toys. With both of us working, lots of church/sports activities for us and a 10 month old having a guaranteed 2 days in the shop is VERY rare!

Scott Gibbons
12-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Mrs Claus got me a 46-460, stand, chuck, worksharp 2000 and the 6 piece PSI HHS tool set. Everything will be here on Wednesday!

Alan Trout
12-26-2011, 11:57 PM
It sounds like we have had some really lucky people on the forum and it was a truly Merry Christmas. We all have a lot to be thankful for.

Alan

Marty Eargle
12-27-2011, 12:08 AM
No complaints here! My parents (who know very little about turning) secretly contacted Mike Smith, made a trip out to his place, and let him pick out a box from of amazing looking wood for me. That was a huge surprise and I plan on letting Mike know how appreciative I am for helping them out. My better half's parents (who know nothing about turning or wood) surprised me by ordering me a box of amazing looking Claro burl from Woodheadz...but I suspect that my girlfriend had a hand in picking that out. I've trained her to have quite the eye for wood. Such a good egg.

Also, my grandparents got me a new slow speed grinder that I desperately need to make my life much, much easier. All in all, it was a great Christmas and I'm glad my fellow Creeker's did well this year too.

Joe Cunningham
12-27-2011, 12:58 PM
No pics, but I got new turning tools: roughing gouge, bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew, and parting tool. A mix of Crown and Pinnacle (I'm a new turner, so need some tools). Santa was very kind.

[edit] And I should add that I previewed them before Christmas, because I used them to turn a few Christmas gifts for family members. A nice curly maple plate, a couple of rolling pins, and my first pencil.

Bill Wyko
12-27-2011, 1:17 PM
OOOh Alan, I'm jealous. I've wanted one of those for years. Congratulations on your score.

Dick Wilson
12-27-2011, 1:23 PM
Just some items for the "photo tent" I am redoing, gradiant background, lights, etc. So now you can rip into my photography as well as my turnings:D:D

Jim Underwood
12-27-2011, 2:26 PM
I got a new pen mill from Arizona Silhouette. It's built to keep from making a burr on the end of the pen tube. I'll have to try it out to see if it delivers.

I did try out my new Axminster Eccentric/Spiraling chuck yesterday. At the same time I found out that my double sticky tape works a lot better than I thought.... I kept expecting that little blank to pop off there and hit me in the faceshield... Never did. In fact, when it came time, I didn't think I was going to get it back off!

James Roberts
12-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Sorry, no pics but I got a 6 inch Robust mini comfort tool rest for the Jet 1220, a set of Henry Taylor slip stones, $25 gift card to Lowe's and a bigger air compressor (26 gal.) to replace my old 7 gal. that finally gave up the ghost. I also got one of those LED headlamps which will come in handy for rooting through the shed for blanks. Apparently someone thought I was good this year.

Alan Trout
12-28-2011, 1:45 AM
Just a little Update. I got to turn for about three hours today with Airshield Pro. All I have to say is it is a joy to Use. It is we'll balanced, comfortable and for the first time in a long time when I Got done turning I did not blow a bunch of wood or plastic dust out of my Nose. Works as advertised. I think it will get used all the time as it is not hassle to use.

Alan

Derek Gilmer
12-28-2011, 8:28 AM
Just a little Update. I got to turn for about three hours today with Airshield Pro. All I have to say is it is a joy to Use. It is we'll balanced, comfortable and for the first time in a long time when I Got done turning I did not blow a bunch of wood or plastic dust out of my Nose. Works as advertised. I think it will get used all the time as it is not hassle to use.

Alan

I need to try one of them. I've got a 3m 7500 that does great. But having one with an integrated face shield would be even better.

Can you hook a mini air conditioner up for hot days? :)

Richard Jones
12-28-2011, 9:02 AM
New shop buddy. No pics yet, not even a name!! Thinking of Chuck, Pyro, Knotty, Jet, etc.

Wouldn't have gotten it for myself, but hard to say no to the CFO...................

Rich

Alan Trout
12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Derek,

what is nice is that is blows cool air over your face so it should help in the summer. However I know how hot Arkansas gets. I was shooting in a skeet tournament once in Little Rock and it was 112 degrees air temp and 100% humidity. It was absolutely the miserable place that I have ever been in the summer.

Alan

Alan Trout
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Richard,

That sounds great. I think Chuck is a appropriate name.

Alan

Doug W Swanson
12-28-2011, 1:33 PM
It's not too exciting but I picked up a slow speed grinder from Woodcraft. I also used some of the cash I received to buy a small Delta jointer/planer.

Bob Bergstrom
12-28-2011, 5:18 PM
Santa came early with a "CBN" grinding wheel, 180 grit. I will give my review in a few days. Next he dropped off a Canon Eos t3i and a 30" x 30" photo text. My wife greciously accepted 1/2 ownership in the camera. Still learning about all the buttons on the camera. Christmas gifts and birthday gifts can come at any time of the year at my house. By birthday gifts alone I should be about 250 years old.

Don Geiger
12-28-2011, 5:39 PM
I received a new Robust American Beauty on December 12th. I spent 1/2 a day on the 24th, all day the 25th and all day the 26th turning. What a holiday to remember!

Don

Keith Westfall
12-28-2011, 6:39 PM
Not really a turning item, but it will help me find my lathe...!

Courtesy of my granddaughter from a shop class.

Allen stagg
12-28-2011, 9:16 PM
Got a portable folding shop crane to mount the big stuff since I developedvback issues and hernia surgery 2 weeks ago and also a dust collector. Now to only get over the surgery to put it all together.

Kelvin Burton
12-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Doug, me too! Been waiting for a deal and it happened yesterday :D

J.D.Redwine
12-29-2011, 10:25 AM
My first Thompson. It is a pleasure to use.217533

Richard Jones
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Best one I've seen so far!!!

Not really a turning item, but it will help me find my lathe...!

Courtesy of my granddaughter from a shop class.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-29-2011, 3:31 PM
I got a copy (new) Of "Woodturning Wizardry" by David Springett! I asked for it a couple of months ago, and my mum, bless her, bought it... I was quite expecting a second hand copy at cheap prices, but she got a brand new one instead - going to christen it in the workshop later!

Justin Stephen
12-29-2011, 3:49 PM
Nothing. :(

Bill Wyko
12-29-2011, 6:29 PM
Alan, how is the shield as far as static electricity collecting dust? I keep my eye on ebay hoping to come across one for a steal. I'll have one some day.

Michael Menzli
12-29-2011, 8:18 PM
Well...Im spoiled rotten and tickled pink. 8" variable speed grinder, HF 12x33 Lathe (Im super stoked) , Grizzly 6" resaw extension for my bandsaw..

and the best of all ... im a 2 time daddy.. she came a few days early 217602

Joshua Dinerstein
12-30-2011, 2:58 AM
Wow congratulations! That is awesome. I went from 1 to 3 earlier this year. So not a Christmas gloat, but still something that is truly still a Christmas present even after 8 months. :)

Very cute!

Joshua

Anthony Cayll
12-30-2011, 9:58 AM
Guess it's not what I got, it's what I gave. I got my dad two new Glaser bowl gouges to replace his worn out Glasers. These gouges are great. Very comfortable and hold an edge like no other. Paulo, the owner at Glaser, was extremely helpful. I highly recommend Glaser gouges.