PDA

View Full Version : An Equipage I made for a lady

george wilson
12-26-2011, 4:58 PM
So,what's an equipage? It is a set of sewing accessories that a lady would clip onto her apron string when sewing.

This has been an ongoing project for many years. I started by making the heart,which has a clip on its back. It has small engraving around the edges. I made the chains to hold a few tools. Over the years she asked for this or that to be added to the equipage,such as thimble holders,sewing needle case,etc.. I am sure that this outfit is still not quite complete. Things have been added,or subtracted over the years.

The scissor case is the only thing I did not make. It is 18th.C.,however,I have made about 4 pairs of scissors which fit exactly inside it,so that no rattling is heard when the case is shaken. The scissors are patterned from an 18th.C. catalog of scissors which I furnished her with so that she could choose what she liked. The catalog had dozens of pairs of scissors on each page,and the stack of these pages was about 3/4" thick. Note that these are left handed scissors: The blades lap the opposite way from the usual.

I settled upon using acorns as the theme for holding the thimbles somehow. These were all turned freehand except for cutting the threads. The knurling around the tops of the acorns is filed in,not knurled in. The acorns would not have taken the pressure of being knurled into them.

Scissors are one of my least favorite things to make. She lost the first one during a bad rain storm one night going to the King's Arms Tavern in Williamsburg. I got thoroughly soaked the next day looking for them because I did not want to make more! No avail. There were puddles 2 or 3 inches deep everywhere,and the scissors could have been picked up by someone meanwhile. The pair of scissors is about 3" tall.

She is an extremely thorough person,and ordered 3 more scissors that fitted exactly into the case,as insurance against being without a pair if she lost another.

The small thimble was a challenge to make. The original was dug up at the Geddy site,and obviously fitted the finger of a small girl. It was about 3/8" tall. My copy is exactly like the original,but about 9/16" tall,made of silver. I had to space all of the punch marks very accurately. The most challenge was in making those angular chisel cuts just like the old one. They look "hand cut" like the original. The end of the thimble had large,rather crude punchings in it to catch the needle. They were spaced very random,out of keeping with the very careful work every where else on the thimble. I wish I'd made a photo of the original. It was well preserved for being in the ground 200 years.

The peculiar looking thimble in one of the acorns is a different pattern thimble,and is 18th.C.,except that I had to make it larger by adding 1/4" of silver,and managing to punch and engrave the original decorative pattern into it,and getting it to all "line up" and blend. I must have gotten lucky,and did accomplish this,while enlarging the thimble just right to fit her finger. The enlargement is undetectable. It mimics the somewhat LACK of precision in the rest of the pattern.

The ball has a ring made from iron,turned with moldings on it. The straight pins are ones I made like 18th.C. straight pins: The heads are made of wrapped tiny wire,welded or soldered onto the shank. I must have made over 100 of these pins for her by now. She did the needle point work,and stuffed it,fitting it to the ring.

The chain is all hand made,by wrapping iron wire around a mandrel,after which it is squeezed oval in a vise,then sawn through with a jeweler's saw to separate the links. At least,I did not have to weld those links!217239217240217241217242217243

I also have made her a few acorns from ivory,which she kept her pills in. When the number of pills grew,she had me make 2 little screw top round ivory boxes for them. I have no pictures of them,or,indeed,for most of the work I have done for her.

P.S.: The keys go to her sewing box.

Stewie Simpson
12-26-2011, 5:46 PM
Hi George. Superb work. You continue to amaze me with your broad knowledge of skills.

Stewie.

Joe Bailey
12-26-2011, 6:41 PM
Brilliant!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
12-26-2011, 6:46 PM
Your abilities are amazing George. As always . . .

Gary Herrmann
12-26-2011, 7:08 PM
I never thought I would say this, but that is a beautiful pair of scissors. Beautiful work as always, George.

george wilson
12-26-2011, 7:40 PM
Thank you guys for your compliments. My wife gave me a slide scanner for Christmas. What will truly amazing is if I can ever make it work!! She can't make it work either,and she is a computer user every day.

ray hampton
12-26-2011, 7:46 PM
do left-hand scissors cut to the left ? can you show a right-hand pair of scissors next to these for comparing ? not that I doubt your word just not a person that sews with a needle and thread any more

george wilson
12-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Ray,just get a pair of your scissors and look how the blades overlap. They are the reverse of these. Left hand scissors you can buy still overlap right handed. They just have the thumb hole beveled for left handers.

These scissors cut straight,just like any other. It's just easier to "pinch"the blades on these if you are left handed. By the way,these are made from A2 steel,which is far,far better than any commercial scissors.

David Weaver
12-27-2011, 8:57 AM
Really lovely work, George, as usual. I don't think anyone is ever going to get tired of seeing new things like this.

The little bits are really nice, but the design on the scissors is really the most eye-catching thing to me. The nice crisp cut of the bevel, the intentional angled cut above the bevel toward the rivet (square would've been plain, huh?) the tasteful gingerbread in the middle, and the delicate rings.

Niels Cosman
12-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Very excellent, Mr. Wilson!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
These are just beautiful. The work on the thimbles amazes me more than anything. Just fascinating. Thanks for sharing this with us.

george wilson
12-27-2011, 12:35 PM
The small thimble was by far the most difficult to pull off. In real life,it is quite small.

ray hampton
12-27-2011, 3:41 PM
Ray,just get a pair of your scissors and look how the blades overlap. They are the reverse of these. Left hand scissors you can buy still overlap right handed. They just have the thumb hole beveled for left handers.

These scissors cut straight,just like any other. It's just easier to "pinch"the blades on these if you are left handed. By the way,these are made from A2 steel,which is far,far better than any commercial scissors.
I had to use scissors with my left hand sometime and most of the scissors will need to be pull -off of my finger or thumb, custom -made scissors would be worth their weight in gold

Michael Ray Smith
12-27-2011, 5:03 PM
Very nice!!

Trevor Walsh
12-27-2011, 6:35 PM
I'd love to get a look at that book full of scissors, do you have the title? Maybe Google has digitized it.

george wilson
12-27-2011, 6:58 PM
I have long forgotten the title. It was from an original 18th.C. catalog that the museum owns. They have quite a few. These same catalogs were still used into the 19th.C.. You can tell which illlustrations are 18th.C.,because their pricing and descriptions are in script,while the 19th.C. additions are in "block" letters. Is block the right term??? They aren't really blocky,just not script.

Brent VanFossen
12-28-2011, 3:04 PM
My wife gave me a slide scanner for Christmas.

Many thanks to your wife for the slide scanner. And to you for your beautiful work!

george wilson
12-28-2011, 3:53 PM
Having the scanner opens up hundreds of slides which I could not use before. Yet,they are less than 10% of the work I did,regretfully.

Gary Herrmann
12-28-2011, 8:14 PM
George, you're going to wake up one of these mornings to find a line of 'Creekers at your door that just happened to be in the neighborhood.

george wilson
12-28-2011, 8:30 PM
Anyone is welcome to visit,Gary!!

Leigh Betsch
12-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I wish I come up with something to say. I guess I'll just have to say, absolutely beautifully. I really appreciate excellent metal work. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate excellent woodwork also, but metal work, well it just trips my trigger.
I've been working on a new infill, I think I'll post a pic sometime when George is on an African safari, I can't compete with work like this.

Todd Burch
12-29-2011, 7:51 AM
Amazing! Very nice. Keep 'em coming.

Todd

george wilson
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your support. I have a bunch of metal and wood/metal pieces in my slide collection that I can post.

Niels Cosman
12-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Thank You George. Regardless of the medium, your work is very inspirational. Wood, metal, etc.. It's all good! Keep them coming, the more the merrier!
Happy New Year!
Niels

Van Huskey
12-30-2011, 3:21 PM
Amazing as always!