PDA

View Full Version : Birch salad bowl

Hayes Rutherford
12-26-2011, 1:31 PM
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and hopefully extended weekend.

This is an attempt to add a little decoration to otherwise plain birch that is so plentiful around here. After forming a slight flush bead, burning the lines with a wire, I used an ancient soldering iron that used to hang by my dads workbench as early as I can remember. It actually took longer for the soldering iron to heat up than it took to turn the entire outside of the bowl. I simply pressed it in till it sunk a little. 11" diam., one heavy application of walnut oil/beeswax mix.

C&C always welcome.

Dean Chapel
12-26-2011, 1:35 PM
I like the embellishment. A fine bowl.

Boy does that birch look familiar... I cut one recently that has an IDENTICAL pattern in the wood. Before it is split in half, an end-view of the log looks like a rose. I definitely have wood envy for those living east and west of us with a variety of hardwoods!

Dan Forman
12-26-2011, 2:16 PM
I like the embellishments, very tasteful, compliments the subtle figure in the wood. Nice pic too by the way.

Dan

David E Keller
12-26-2011, 6:26 PM
That's pretty! The detail is 'just right' for my taste!

Steve Kubien
12-26-2011, 7:49 PM
Not much finer to work with that yellow birch. Yours looks an awful lot like I have, and I'm in southern Ontario!

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2011, 8:38 PM
Nice work Hayes! This bowl has a very clean look to it! Just enough embellishment to make it interesting and not so much as to detract from the beauty of the wood!

John Keeton
12-26-2011, 9:41 PM
Pretty neat - looks like walnut square plugs in the bead!

Jim Burr
12-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd be happy to get a bowl to turn out like that!! The extra's are very cool! My M&M's in that bowl any day!

Michelle Rich
12-27-2011, 6:45 AM
I luv this bowl..the birch colors are subtle, but wonderful and your minimalist decoration is just right. Good 'un!