PDA

View Full Version : Older Dewalt panel saw for 300

keith micinski
12-26-2011, 1:20 PM
What do you guys think about paying 300 for an older Dewalt panel saw that is in good shape and everything works on it? I have only used a panel saw at the big box stores and it seemed pretty handy for breaking down sheet goods. I also thought I might be able to use it for larger panels instead of trying to make some sort of a sled for the table saw. One if the things I like about it is it sits up against the wall and only takes up 18 inches of space so even if I don't find myself using it all that much it's not like it is going to kill me being constantly in the way. Also are there any other uses for a panel saw I am not aware of other then ripping down sheet goods? By the way the main reason I am even thinking about purchasing this is because I have a possible job coming up for some built ins that are going to go into a room with 14 foot ceilings so I could easily see going through 12-15 sheets of plywood on this project and I think this one project would make it worth having if nothing else.

Andrew Joiner
12-26-2011, 1:56 PM
Also are there any other uses for a panel saw I am not aware of other then ripping down sheet goods? Yes, you can rip and crosscut solid lumber on them too. You could make a pop in insert for a router and have a panel router.

Not sure on the dewalts details. Online they look similar to the most common Safety Speed Cut saws. Look for adjustments for wear and squaring the cut. If you can test cut a panel and it's square your good to go.

I like vertical panel saws for sheet goods. Repeatable with stops, accurrate to 1/64" and less heavy lifting for one person. I had a Safety Speed Cut for years. I put many hours on it and it stayed dead on accurate.

I have a shopmade panel saw I use all the time.

keith micinski
12-26-2011, 7:38 PM
Boy I didn't even think of doing something with a router that could be really handy. That may have pushed me over the edge on getting it.