PDA

View Full Version : Using an engine hoist

Matt Walton
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey everybody, I know it's been quite a while since I've hung around here, but anyway...
I am ready to get some more work done on my shop and the main upgrade is getting my Rikon 14" bandsaw on a mobile base. Now, I am not quite sure how I want to go about doing this. I already have my dad's help promised to me, but I think the best way is by using an engine hoist. The problem I have is how to lift it. I know people do this all the time, but I am not quite sure where to lift it from. Are there some guidelines to follow when lifting bandsaws, and tools in general?

Daniel Berlin
12-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey everybody, I know it's been quite a while since I've hung around here, but anyway...
I am ready to get some more work done on my shop and the main upgrade is getting my Rikon 14" bandsaw on a mobile base. Now, I am not quite sure how I want to go about doing this. I already have my dad's help promised to me, but I think the best way is by using an engine hoist. The problem I have is how to lift it. I know people do this all the time, but I am not quite sure where to lift it from. Are there some guidelines to follow when lifting bandsaws, and tools in general?

All machines i've had had a lift point clearly indicated in the manual.
For bandsaws, they usually have an eye bolt or S bolt (or a screw in place for one) near the top.

Here is a good picture:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Brake-/G0513X2B
Zoom over the top left, and you will see a bolt sticking out of the top.
That is the lift point for that bandsaw.

Interestingly, I can't find a lift point in the manual for your Rikon, but they don't weigh a horrible amount (even the 10-325 only weighs 250 lbs, including table).
I would call rikon and ask them if there is a preferred lift point that isn't "The bottom".

That said, it is is light enough that you could probably walk it off the skids onto a mobile base, or better, build the mobile base around it with a few 2x4's.

Without a lift point at the top, i would be fairly wary of using an engine hoist and straps, because it will be hard to place the straps so that it can't tip over/fall out as you lift it.

Matt Walton
12-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks, I emailed Rikon and got this reply:

Hello Matthew,

The best place to put a strap is around the upper wheel box enclosure closest to the column. Remove the upper door to prevent damage.

Regards,
Rod Burrow

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
One thing I will point out is unless the BS had dual lifting bolts on the top so you could balance the load I have never seen a bandsaw lifted from the top that didn't lean. This complicates getting it to sit down on the base easily. Just be mentally ready for this and take it slow and there should be no issues.

Kirk Poore
12-28-2011, 3:04 PM
With two people and that small a saw, I'd just tilt it, put cribbing underneath, and repeat until high enough, then scoot it onto the base. 14" saws really aren't that heavy.

Kirk

Jeff Monson
12-28-2011, 3:52 PM
With two people and that small a saw, I'd just tilt it, put cribbing underneath, and repeat until high enough, then scoot it onto the base. 14" saws really aren't that heavy.

Kirk

My thoughts also, I put my mobile base under my 14" powermatic by myself. Was not difficult at all.

Van Huskey
12-28-2011, 4:05 PM
I am always reluctant to suggest people move machines by hand, or with limited means, but I honestly would tackle this one without an engine hoist. I however thing nothing about tackling moving something like my 700+ pound bandsaw alone using a jack and cribbage, but I spend much more time thinking than moving.

Matt Walton
12-29-2011, 7:45 PM
Well, as much fun as muscling a bandsaw onto a mobile base sounds, I think my dad and I will take the easy way out and use an engine hoist. We actually bought a SawStop today to replace our old contractors TS, so we should be messing with that tomorrow as well. Stay tuned for a new thread on that! :D

Alan Lightstone
12-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I installed an overhead hoist in my garage for just that scenario (lifting my bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer/planer). It was on heck of a job to install it on the rafters, but it's paid for itself multiple times over.

I just wrapped sufficiently sized wire around the upper portion of the bandsaw and attached it to the hoist. It tilted some, but was easy to control. I'd imagine an engine hoist would be similar, but be careful. 250lbs can still do a lot of damage. With my jointer/planer it was 850 lbs, so that got my undivided attention.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-31-2011, 12:45 AM
You're over thinking the problem. Lever up one side with a piece of pipe or a wrecking bar. Slip in the base and let the saw down on it. Now lever up the other side and slide the saw onto the base. I did that to my unisaw-- it weighs more and I fit into the 97 lb weakling class, not mr. atlas! The trouble with a hoist is you lift it in ways it wasn't designed to be lifted and you aren't really in control when it's swinging in the breeze.

Jim Matthews
01-01-2012, 8:52 AM
This Rikon (http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm)?

It's 251 pounds. Slip a length of 2x4 under the table, on each side.
Have four friends on hand, and just have them hook their arms under.

The fifth set of hands rolls out the gizmo.

Rick Gustafson
01-04-2012, 3:13 PM
Matt;

Bought the one ton hoist at HF a couple of years ago and put my Rikon togther with it and lifted entire BS onto a mobile base. Did same with my new table saw.

We live out in the country so finding helpers is not always an option.