PDA

View Full Version : Here's to Shopnotes!

John T Barker
12-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Check out the most recent issue with an article on making an infill plane. This magazine is primo as far as I am concerned. The method shown for this infill is not my preferred dovetailed sole but it is a good first plane if you want to speed up the process a bit. I really should subscribe to this magazine.

John

Zach England
12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. It's mostly plans for router tables and saw blade holders. The infill plane plans are interesting, though. The plane looks a bit crude, but the plans make it seem like an approachable project.

john davey
12-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Zach, I would have to disagree here. Lately they have had some pretty good articles. I believe we had a fairly long discussion here about the vise in the last issue.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-27-2011, 9:51 AM
They had plans and info on doing peened dovetailed infill planes, both bench planes, and a shoulder plane, in past issues.

I've seen enough interesting stuff in there that if I'm somewhere that carries it, I'll skim through and see if the issue in question is something I want to buy, or I'll read it at my dad's house, but there's not enough in there regularly that appeals to me to make me want to subscribe.

Maybe it's because I like to pretend that someday I'll stop making stuff for my "shop" and tools, and start making things with them, and this interferes with the illusion. . .

Joseph Doyle
12-27-2011, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the article. I skim through this from time-to-time, but haven't seen it in a few months.

By the way, there are full-size patterns for the plane sides and rear tote on their website if anyone is interested.

John T Barker
12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
I like the magazine a lot because they are right up there promoting the idea of making your own stuff, whether it is power tools or hand tools. I've made the odd jig in my time but never any tools but my thinking is that if you make the tool you are giving yourself tremendous insight in how to use it. The exception would be if you don't bring the thinking part of your brain along on the make and just copy. If you read the plane making article and try to research even a little bit you will understand the importance of mouth opening, blade thickness, etc. Now you have a tool that is a part of you not just something you are holding on to. Tool restoration can follow that same notion. Any idiot can by a Lie Nielsen $200 handplane or backsaw but it takes a good craftsman to make one and a better craftsman uses it. From what I see Shopnotes supports my thinking.

Dave Lehnert
12-27-2011, 11:14 PM
This issue has some good projects.

Infill smoothing plane, Tool shelf, Plywood cutting rack, Shop made Router Lift,

David Turner
12-30-2011, 1:57 PM
Be careful and check to see if all the pages are included. I purchased a copy at the local Kroger's Food Market amd found it was missing pages 21 thru 33. Upon returning to the store, I found the other 10 copies also missing the same pages.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.