PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout Help SKP file

Floyd Cox
12-26-2011, 8:20 AM
After some advice I am attaching a jpg file..it actually looks like more room than I have.

I need someone with a good idea on how a workshop should be laid out.
if anyone can help me, it would be a big help.
I have a Sketchup file I can email of my current layout and maybe the tools can be rearranged for a more friendly work environment.
The file is about 2.5 megs

-Floyd

Jamie Buxton
12-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Floyd, while some of the members of this forum use Sketchup, most don't. You'll probably get a lot more help on your shop layout if you'll make a post using jpgs. I've found I can design in Sketchup, and carefully choose a few specific 2D views to show what I really want to tell people about. You can produce jpgs in Sketchup by pulling down the File menu to Export, and choosing the 2D option.

glenn bradley
12-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Interesting, I find that most forum folks do use SU :confused:. Maybe not so much here, eh :)? Maybe its just my broken perception :)? Be that as it may . . . .

Everyone's version of a layout will be different I am afraid. Only you know what you want to make and what operations will be involved in making those items. I would go ahead and post a 2D export which would give us an idea of what sort of shop you have; hand tools, machines, more of one than the other, equal mix? Will you be building commercial styled stuff out of sheet goods or solid wood furniture? So many questions . . .

There are certainly proven workflows to get from rough stock to milled material but, after that things become fairly personal. Fine woodworking online and others have many examples of actual shops and how they are used. If someone is close to what you want to do, that could be pretty beneficial.

I have had a bench against a wall, in the middle and just off-center (where it is now). My router table and tablesaw are configured as a single footprint right now with a wide out feed serving its primary purpose but, also providing assembly surface and storage underneath.

I keep a large open area more or less in the middle of the shop so I have somewhere to work on the things I am making. I have seen plenty of shop layouts that would make great store showrooms but allow no open space to work other than bench tops, this would never work for me. Most machines and fixtures are stationary with the exception of built-in mobile bases on my jointer and planer and a mobile base on one of my drill presses that was a complete waste of time as it never moves . . . oh yeah, one of my band saws came with a mobile base so I put it on it . . . it never moves either ;-)

Floyd Cox
12-26-2011, 12:17 PM
sounds good I will make a JPG file and upload it

Floyd Cox
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
bump...........

glenn bradley
12-26-2011, 3:50 PM
sounds good I will make a JPG file and upload it

bump...........

Not seeing the JPG Floyd.

Van Huskey
12-26-2011, 5:31 PM
First, I see the JPG. Second, only you know your work flow BUT I don't see the jointer (unless it is on the SS) and want my jointer and planer as close as possible. I like the miter saw, planer, jointer and TS in a orientation that makes crosscutting and milling lumber to produce the least wasted energy. I like the MS on a wall and the jointer back to side of either the planer or TS. A tight group of the J, P and TS makes duct work simple and also keeps flow rates high for these machines.

Matt Day
12-26-2011, 9:19 PM
I'd put the Miter Saw against the wall and build it into some cabinets - making that a nice multi function work station. To do that, I'd suggest you pull the workbench off the wall and swap it with the MS, and use the workbench as the outfeed of your TS (adjust working heights accordingly). Depending on the RT design, you could group that with the TS area. Is your planer mobile?

Some more information on the types of tools you have would be help us help you.

glenn bradley
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Not seeing the JPG Floyd.

I'm a dork. I didn't look back at the original post. Sorry about that.