PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet finally finished

Carl William
12-25-2011, 9:20 PM
I had outgrew my current gun cabinet so it was time for a new one. This one is made from Red Oak and finished it with Shellac. This was the first time I had used Shellac and I like it, I am starting another gun cabinet and will probably use Shellac again. This one is 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide, holds 12 long guns, full dovetail drawers, the lights are LED rope lighting ran behind the face frame and are controlled with a wireless remote. Any constructive critisism is always appreciated as it is an opportunity to learn :). Thanks

Todd Burch
12-25-2011, 9:38 PM
Looks great Carl! Welcome to <posting at> SMC! ;)

Marshall Border
12-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Carl this is a pretty piece of funiture ..................MB

gary Zimmel
12-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice first project to post on the Creek Carl.
Hope to see a few more...

Tim Anderson
12-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Very nice Carl. The only suggestion I'd make is it should have been bigger for additions later. Around my place guns are like rabbits. Put any two together and pretty soon there will be another one.

Chad Easterling
12-30-2011, 5:06 PM
Nice cabinet! I like the lighting.

Carl William
12-31-2011, 8:14 AM
Thanks guys!! Tim your right I should have made it bigger, my 9 year old got a 10/22 for Christmas so now its FULL, I see another project in my near future...As far as the lighting goes, I went back and forth on how I wanted to do it, I like the way the rope lighting came out and the effect it gives.

Bill Sanson
01-02-2012, 1:13 PM
Carl,

that is one sweet gun cabinet. I am planning to build one for my brother, did you find plans for that somewhere or is it something you came up with?
again beautiful work.

B

Bart Leetch
01-02-2012, 1:54 PM
Nice cabinet. Nowadays I wouldn't consider anything less then a gun safe.

Clisby Clark
01-05-2012, 8:48 AM
I really like it. The only thing I would've done differently on a nice furniture piece like this woould be to use premium undermount slides instead of the side mounts. I've used Blum tandems which are very nice, but the most bang for your buck is the Hettich Quadro. My hardwood dealer had them for around $18/pair. In my experience, either undermount was easier for me to install than the side mounts.

Andrew Gibson
01-06-2012, 9:38 PM
I Like it. I have a gun cabinet that I made almost 2 years ago now. I still want to add a light to it... but... it holds 5 long guns, and I am already there, including a couple air rifles... I would also like to have more room for ammo and such, so I can keep it all locked up... I also would not mind laying it out in such a way as to have storage for hand guns. hmmm it is starting to sound like I have a lot more guns then I actually do.