PDA

View Full Version : Got $33k to spend on Delta Vintage iron?

Bill Lewis
03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Check out this(Moderator removed direct link to e-bay which violates SMC Terms of Service. If you are interested you will have to do an e-bay search to find it) An entire shop for sale on ebay. Most all of it is vintage Delta iron. I have no affiliation with this seller, but some of it looks vaguely familiar. A 10 day Auction that's only got a few days left, and no bidders. Frankly I'm not surprised, seems to me anyone looking to buy these kind of tools, doesn't need an entire shop at once. Maybe he's hoping a museum will buy it.

Richard Wolf
03-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Nice link. I always feel sad when someone is selling their tools.

Richard

John Lucas
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
It was up before maybe a month or two ago...and my recollection was that it was for $44,000 then. It is sad that someone has to sell it all. It looks like it is well planned and very well kept up. Maybe the owner went to the great cyclone in the sky. (that's pathetic)

Lars Thomas
03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Wow, looks like a bargain. Some lucky bidder will be happy with that haul. That would be a serious gloat!

Dennis McDonaugh
03-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Somebody on Woodnet e-mailed the seller because that same shop has been for sale six or seven times the past year or two on e-bay. The seller said it wasn't the same shop that he has sold four shops full of vintage Delta equipment. Kinda strange, I guess he likes to buy and fix old iron.

Bob Worrel Jr.
03-11-2005, 6:12 AM
I couldn't find it with out the link.:(

Tim Morton
03-11-2005, 6:53 AM
The ad title is Entire Woodshop w/Vintage Delta Rockwell Tools & More

Jeff Sudmeier
03-11-2005, 8:25 AM
I just hope this isn't one of those sharks you read about that goes in and buys out someone's shop when they die, from a realative that doesn't know what it is worth.

Anyway, good looking auction!

Kelly C. Hanna
03-11-2005, 9:02 AM
You know, this is the only site I visit that doesn't allow linking to auctions or links the signature. I don't understand the first one since linking to ebay auctions can actually help other woodworkers. On other sites, I fail to see where allowing these links has caused a problem. I also think it causes a lot of unecessary work for the moderator.

As for the second one, since there is a way to get to a member's site by clicking on the person's name, I can't really complain about it except to say it's hard for people who don't know it's available.

Doug Barker
03-11-2005, 9:04 AM
I also had to sell my parent's belongings. While it is painful, at least I was able to sell their stuff while they were alive and let them have the benefit of the money. They had gotten to the point all the "stuff" had become a burden.

BTW: We are likely to see more of this stuff for sale as our parents age, and the younger generation cares more about electronic games.

So I guess my thought is that this could have been a good deal for the seller's also. The proceeds from the sale could pay for several months of long-term care.

Bill Lewis
03-11-2005, 1:26 PM
You know, this is the only site I visit that doesn't allow linking to auctions or links the signature. I don't understand the first one since linking to ebay auctions can actually help other woodworkers. On other sites, I fail to see where allowing these links has caused a problem. I also think it causes a lot of unecessary work for the moderator.

I was a bit surprised at having the link removed from my message, but I didn't think much of it. It's not my auction, I just found it interesting, I was not trying to advertise the sellers auction at all.

So Ok, maybe it is just links to commercial sites that are forbidden because it would be indirectly a form of free advertising. then I open up Frank Pellows' (not to pick on Frank) recent post regarding a drill press, and he has two links to both the Delta and Lee Valley sites.

direct link to e-bay which violates SMC Terms of Service I looked in the FAQ section to find the SMC terms of service to get a better explanation, but have not found it yet. I'm confused, is it only ebay links that are banned?

Ken Salisbury
03-11-2005, 2:41 PM
I was a bit surprised at having the link removed from my message, but I didn't think much of it. It's not my auction, I just found it interesting, I was not trying to advertise the sellers auction at all.

So Ok, maybe it is just links to commercial sites that are forbidden because it would be indirectly a form of free advertising. then I open up Frank Pellows' (not to pick on Frank) recent post regarding a drill press, and he has two links to both the Delta and Lee Valley sites.
[/color]I looked in the FAQ section to find the SMC terms of service to get a better explanation, but have not found it yet. I'm confused, is it only ebay links that are banned?

Direct links to public auctions ( like e-bay, etc) are not allowed. Direct links which are germain to the topic of a thread like sources for products, supplies, information, etc are allowed and encouraged, re: like the ones in Frank's post.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Dennis McDonaugh
03-11-2005, 2:53 PM

I looked in the FAQ section to find the SMC terms of service to get a better explanation, but have not found it yet. I'm confused, is it only ebay links that are banned?

Bill, you're not "allowed" to question the TOS which I find a little strange. It seems reasonable people could have a reasonable discussion about the rules of the endeavor they are engaged in. Especially here where most people treat each other cordially, even in disagreement.

I kinda understand the rationale even if I don't agree with it and I guess the bottom line is its not our site, its owned by an individual, not the group members who use it. The moderators follow their directions as they should. I'm thankful they allow a little civil disobedience now and again.