PDA

View Full Version : Tryin' to decide

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 7:00 PM
My family was once again generous............I had a bit of a GREEN Christmas [think $$$] and I am trying to decide whether to get a new flatwork woodworking machine, or something related to turning. I have a nice steady from Jeff, a Monster system from Randy, a fine lathe, more tools than I use, ............I have 3 super nova chucks...........could use one more maybe :D

I was looking online yesterday at the Glaser Hi-Tech site...........beginning in 2012 they are supposed to begin with some new sets...........up to and including the 12 tool set .........you know with the interchangable handle.

Don't know if it is worth it.........did not see a price on the website, as these sets are not available quite yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.........I do have 3 Thompson's that I really like.

I have limited space for new machines..............I could make a little room by selling my radial arm saw........but I do like it for some operations.................

nice dilemma to be in, I know............so very thankful!

Jerry Wright
12-25-2011, 7:16 PM
See Bill Wyko's SMC post on the mini QR system. It is currently available.

Joe Watson
12-25-2011, 8:43 PM
Not knowing what you have as far as flat work or what kind of turning (or flat work) you do, ill just spit out some things...

Supplies in general, finishs, dyes, sand paper, band saw blades, chain saw blades, rags
Jointer ? if you do any segment turning and deal with rough cut lumber it might help for both flat and turning
Sharpening system
Incra tablesaw miter gauge
Camera
Photo tent setup, lights umbrellas the whole shabang.
Wood

Baxter Smith
12-25-2011, 8:51 PM
Can't remember if you have a vac chuck or not. You might not use a coring system a lot, but it would allow you to do some things no other tools will.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 9:04 PM
Can't remember if you have a vac chuck or not. You might not use a coring system a lot, but it would allow you to do some things no other tools will.

Yep, I do have a vac system,Baxter...............just forgot to mention it. Not sure I want to even go into coring..........seems I only do a bowl occasionally..............for some reason, those cotton-pickin' hollow forms have captured my imagination a bit :D

I seem to have more wood coming at me than I can get to at times.......[not a complaint! ;) ] so not sure if a coring system would be the best use of funds for me.

I am also thinking about getting my truck painted!

Bob Bergstrom
12-25-2011, 9:28 PM
CBN grinding wheel. All those gouges will thank you!

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 9:34 PM
CBN grinding wheel. All those gouges will thank you!

Already have one Bob......great suggestion however!

Peter Elliott
12-25-2011, 9:38 PM
maybe it's just not meant for woodworking.. it will come..;)

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 9:45 PM
maybe it's just not meant for woodworking.. it will come..;)

Yeah Peter........that getting my truck painted thing is something I am going to check into..........I have a bit of rust appearing on the top of the cab..........don't want it to get worse, but the truck is a '97 model, and runs like new, but not sure I want to put too much into a vehicle that old............ thinking about a new F150 or Dodge Ram anyway..........just don't like the idea of payments!

Mike Peace
12-25-2011, 9:54 PM
Do you have a good woodburning set like an Optima or Razertip for writing your name on the bottom of your work and other pyrography?

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 9:59 PM
Do you have a good woodburning set like an Optima or Razertip for writing your name on the bottom of your work and other pyrography?

You know Mike, yesterday evening I took a look at some of those at CS-USA..........something I have been thinking about for sure, but not ready to pull the trigger on one yet..........I have seen some great work here, but just my personal tastes likes the beauty of the natural wood............I am conflicted at times in wood turning............I like some of the "artsy-fartsy" stuff, but from what I have observed........most folks like the functional stuff better...............

I have thought about one for signing my work however. May do that soon........

Rich Aldrich
12-25-2011, 10:15 PM
What do you have for tool rests? Or you could start saving for your Robust lathe.

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 10:19 PM
What do you have for tool rests? Or you could start saving for your Robust lathe.

Rich........that is so funny............about 30 minutes ago that very thought occurred to me! Geez........after all the ribbing I have given JK about him getting one...........I guess I deserve it as well! I really would like to have one for sure.....just do not know if I can justify the cost, considering the more important priorities in my family's future............who knows, maybe someday!

Rick Markham
12-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Do you want the short list? Or the long list? :)

Roger Chandler
12-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Do you want the short list? Or the long list? :)

ideas from others sometimes help us think of things we had not thought of ourselves...........a lot of things we will have thought of.............just pondering the "possibilities!"

Rick Markham
12-26-2011, 4:28 AM
Well what will be getting my Christmas money (I too am blessed) is a Powercarver 400kxs... (I'm not affiliated in anyway, I just drool over tools) linky: http://www.sculptingstudio.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=148#report

If you don't have an airbrush... I highly recommend the Iwata Eclipse either one (I got a top feed, and a siphon feed version for Christmas) I've been using them for a month now! (hehe) If you have a Hobby Lobby around, print a 40% off coupon, you can get one of the nicest airbrushes available for about $110, (nothing on the internet comes close to that deal) I've already sprayed dyes... super cool! It does wicked work with WOP, pretty much takes the work out of clear coating!

Bill Bulloch
12-26-2011, 7:47 AM
Roger do you have a Drum Sander? I have been woodworking for over 50 years and finally got the Grizzly GO458 about a year or so ago. I don't know how I got along without one for all those years. It is especially handy for segmenting and indispensable for flat work. The GO458 will take up a lot of floor space, but those Baby Drums Grizzly sells will not.

Roger Chandler
12-26-2011, 9:08 AM
Roger do you have a Drum Sander? I have been woodworking for over 50 years and finally got the Grizzly GO458 about a year or so ago. I don't know how I got along without one for all those years. It is especially handy for segmenting and indispensable for flat work. The GO458 will take up a lot of floor space, but those Baby Drums Grizzly sells will not.

Bill,

thanks for the tip.........I have a Performax 16/32 drum sander..........same as Jet. I does do a great job with panels and when I get into segmenting, I am sure it will be a great help.

Ken Glass
12-26-2011, 9:48 AM
Roger,
I have many Turning tools, accessories, etc. and pondered the same question. I decided to just buy some great turning blanks, pieces that I had looked at before, but thought were extravagant. Having extra cash made the decision much easier and I intend to show the turned results to the givers, so they to can feel the warmth of the gift. Hey, I might even give a turned piece back to the giver of the cash too.