PDA

View Full Version : elm burl

David E Keller
12-25-2011, 3:07 PM
After seeing Nate Davey's recent cherry burl piece, I thought of a piece I turned a few months ago... I could have sworn that I posted it here, but I can't find it. If I've shown it already, I apologize for the duplication.

This piece is about 7 inches tall and 7 inches in diameter with bloodwood collar and base. The finish is Formby's Tung oil if I remember correctly. This chunk of elm burl came from a local tree guy, and as you can see, parts of it were flat out rotten. I was gonna chunk it in the burn pile, but I can't seem to abandon these defective chunks of burly stuff. As you can see on the bottom, I had to get a little creative with the base since there wasn't any decent wood for a tenon. I initially had the piece on a walnut glue block, but I didn't like the coloring of the walnut with the rest of the piece. I turned the walnut glue block down to a tenon then turned a ring of bloodwood to glue over the top of it. Then I shaped the foot like normal.

I suppose I could have done something more interesting with the collar, and I wish I had at least thought to incorporate a little upturn there at the opening... I was so excited that I hadn't blown the thing up that I lost focus. Perhaps the best thing to do would have been to send the chunk of wood to Alan Trout!

Your honest comments, criticism, thoughts, and suggestions are always appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2011, 3:14 PM
That's wild! If you posted this before - I sure don't remember it! Nice work David!!

Nate Davey
12-25-2011, 3:23 PM
Wow, that is sweet Doc. Way better than mine. Nice how you kept the natural edge around the whole piece and the collar accentuates the burl but doesn't fight with it.

Edit: The more I look at this piece, the more I think I've seen it somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it. WTA maybe????

Russell Eaton
12-25-2011, 3:55 PM
Doc you sure like those voids! Sweet looking piece. Merry Christmas.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-25-2011, 4:13 PM
I love the natural edge you've left on it - it makes it look like a geological sample core to me (am I being strange in my thinking?) As you say, there's not much left of the base, but the voids add character to it, and show the possibilities available, if you have knowledge and ability! Good job, well done - love the collars, a nice contrast.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2011, 4:15 PM
Nate wins.... this piece was posted on WTA back on Sept 29.

Eric Gourieux
12-25-2011, 5:41 PM
Your work is beautiful, as usual, and the wood is awesome. but, there's a hole in the top!!? Did you turn a shelf in the base to support the top, or is the top free-floating?

Cory Norgart
12-25-2011, 6:08 PM
David, I know I wouldnt care if you posted it twice, its worth looking at twice. Nice form and a sweet peice of wood.

Rich Aldrich
12-25-2011, 6:26 PM
Amazing piece. It looks like it could have been a bit exciting to turn. Excellent job David!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2011, 6:36 PM
That is one sweet looking piece David. I don't remember it but then again I can't remember what happened yesterday.:eek:

Ed Morgano
12-25-2011, 7:04 PM
David,
Is the top removable or is it one piece. That is simply amazing either way. I could probably do that but I just don't have any crapy wood to work with!!!! HAHA.

David E Keller
12-25-2011, 7:23 PM
Thanks folks! I did post this over at WTA, but I guess I forget to do so here.

The form is all one piece... No removable top although that would have been much easier! The shoulder on this was not easy to hollow, but the voids make checking wall thickness a breeze!

Nate Davey
12-25-2011, 7:27 PM
And chip removal was a lot easier too. Did you use a swan neck or a 45 degree angle tool for the shoulder?

Thanks folks! I did post this over at WTA, but I guess I forget to do so here.

The form is all one piece... No removable top although that would have been much easier! The shoulder on this was not easy to hollow, but the voids make checking wall thickness a breeze!

mike ash
12-25-2011, 7:35 PM
That's a real beauty Doctor!!! But, did you realize it's got numerous wood flaws and holes in it????

Nice creation.

Mike

Joe Watson
12-25-2011, 8:06 PM
Another great one, these all look good.

Jim Burr
12-25-2011, 8:15 PM
Although I'm not fond of the word organic...this sure meets the criteria! Looks like a cross between a lava field and a skull...no idea why it looks that way to me! The foot is a cool touch...was it that unstable, or just going along with the collar? Cool piece doc...and Merry Christmas!!

Bill Bolen
12-25-2011, 8:31 PM
Just as fine a piece as it was on the WTA site. Loved it then and love it now. Sometimes that second shot at viewing can be even better than the first! This time I actually noticed the foot. Great piece Doc!

sam upton
12-25-2011, 9:14 PM
Very cool.....Merry Christmas my friend.

David E Keller
12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks all for commenting!

... Did you use a swan neck or a 45 degree angle tool for the shoulder?

A little of both as well as some homemade hollowing tools that is made from cold rolled steel.

...The foot is a cool touch...was it that unstable, or just going along with the collar?

It was worse than unstable, Jim... The bottom of the piece was more or less non-existent. I had to mount the burl to a glue block just to have a way to mount it in a chuck. Once I had it hollowed, I reversed it with the original plan of keeping the walnut block as part of the base... I didn't like the look of the walnut, so the bloodwood made an appearance again at the bottom.

Michelle Rich
12-26-2011, 7:29 AM
spendid..I believe you posted on another site,as I remember this wonderful piece. it's so great tho, it's worth seeing over & over. Good 'un

Curt Fuller
12-26-2011, 10:51 AM
It looks even better in December than it did in September, and it was awesome then. I remember not being real crazy about the bloodwood when I first saw it but I think it looks great now. The lower half of that looks like you were turning a sponge. Pretty amazing it survived. Maybe a little surgical skill stirred into the luck?

steven carter
12-27-2011, 9:45 AM
I can't imagine anyone has seen this before and not remembered it. The pucker factor must have been through the roof. You did a great job with a very difficult bulr!

Bill Wyko
12-29-2011, 7:14 PM
Glad I was looking a few pages back. I would have hated to miss this one. A very nice job you've done here. Glad you didn't scrap it.

Ken Hill
12-29-2011, 7:16 PM
I dont think I even have the desire to tackle something like that, but glad you and others do!

charlie knighton
12-29-2011, 7:29 PM
fantastic piece David,
I was so excited that I hadn't blown the thing up that I lost focus.
really like your top natural edge and the bottom, well done

Brian Effinger
12-29-2011, 8:00 PM
That's one heck of a piece. Well done David!
If you're worried about the flattness at the opening, a finial might cure that. ;)

Tim Rinehart
12-29-2011, 8:33 PM
Cool piece David. I saw Nate's version of this and may have to try what you guys did ... Definitely unique.