PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve Bowls

Thomas Heck
12-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Here is a few I turned today. Do you usually put anything on natural edge bowls? I didn't put anything on the bigger one and think I like it better than the smaller ones that I put some finish on. Hope you all have a blessed Christmas.

John Keeton
12-25-2011, 5:58 AM
Thomas, I don't do many bowls, so my help on the finish would be minimal. On the few I do, I used walnut oil and wax. Looks like some nice work. You might want to consider a more rounded inside transition where the side meets the bottom - would be easier for you to turn.

I like the NE edge without the finish - looks neat!

Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2011, 10:50 AM
I generally use Antique Oil on all my NE's. I just like the looks of it. Those are some nice looking bowls. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

David E Keller
12-25-2011, 2:27 PM
Neat stuff, Thomas! I generally don't like shiny bark, so I avoid anything glossy with natural edge pieces, but I do think they benefit from finishing the bark. Some type of oil is my normal finish for NE pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2011, 2:52 PM
Nice work Thomas! I would think some type of an oil finish would work best for the natural edge stuff. You want something on there to protect the wood.

Donny Lawson
12-25-2011, 5:48 PM
Try some walnut oil or maybe BLO.