PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 110 scratch

Lynn Reid
12-24-2011, 9:44 PM
Hi all...I acquired a Stanley 110 block plane. I was flattening the sole on sandpaper and somehow scratched it. The scratch is a few thousands deep and maybe 1/16 wide...right down the middle and across the blade opening. I don't think I can grind out the scratch. Is this a problem? I don't have a lot of experience with hand planes...but I intend to. I would appreciate any advice. Also...what is the correct angle of the blade bevel? Presently it is neither 25 or 30 degrees...but somewhere in-between. Thanks for your help!!

Lynn

Don Morris
12-25-2011, 6:50 AM
Go to the Neanderthal Forum, they're the guys that are experts in hand planes.

Todd Burch
12-25-2011, 7:38 AM
No big deal on that plane. Get any protruding metal off the base (ergo - continue with the sandpaper) so it doesn't leave scratches when used. As far as angle, Anywhere between 25 and 30 is fine - I lean towards 30.

Lynn Reid
12-25-2011, 1:08 PM
Thanks for the help!

paul cottingham
12-25-2011, 1:26 PM
The bottom of both my blocks are covered in scratches. Buff them out
so there is no protruding metal. You'll be fine.

Stephen Cherry
12-25-2011, 2:55 PM
Lynn- the scratches, as long as they are not protruding, don't hurt anything but your pride. As for the angle, I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say that low angles are better for end grain, and higher for normal planing. Unless you are set up to grind in a hurry, I would just match the major angle and grind to raise a burr, then increase the angle slightly for further sharpening.

PS- I have a 110 plane also, I got it at a yardsale in a two for one deal: an ICE primus smooth plane, and the 110 block plane-- for a big 22 spacebucks. Both were slightly butchered due to poor sharpening, but I got each going in very short order. The primus is a super nice plane for me, with a slightly higher angle than my LN 4, so it will cut when the other tears. My favorite hand smoother though is a card scraper. Super low tech, but will cut smooth when the others tear.