PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D-40x, The good, the bad

Scott Donley
12-24-2011, 9:17 PM
Well, I traded a chainsaw that I had (worth about 150.00) for the D40x. That is the good "cause I needed a new camera and did not need the chainsaw, and I have no more money.
The bad, after playing with it a bit I must have pushed the wrong button, now the lcd no longer shows nothing but the menu unless in play back mode. After about an hour and a half of trying to get it back I give up for now.
Time for a beer and I will tackle it tomorrow.
Have a great Christmas everyone :D Take Care !

Darryl Hazen
12-25-2011, 9:03 AM
Scott,
Try removing the battery and the memory card. Wait a while, reinstall the battery. Power it up and see what you get. Then reinstall your memory card. The camera should reboot normally and then recognize the memory card.

Stan Powers
12-25-2011, 10:19 AM
If all else fails read the manual. Even if you don't have the paper copy a quick search will find it on line.
Good luck

Bruce Page
12-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I haven’t had that problem with my D-40X so I’m not sure what the problem is.
It’s a great little DSLR. I paid a lot more than $150 for mine when they first came out, you made out good on the trade.

Scott Donley
12-25-2011, 3:37 PM
Scott,
Try removing the battery and the memory card. Wait a while, reinstall the battery. Power it up and see what you get. Then reinstall your memory card. The camera should reboot normally and then recognize the memory card. Thanks, I tried this and also a reset of camera. I can find nothing in the manual other than info on what the display settings mean and how to change them. I am starting to think this is the way it is supposed to work. When I made the trade I tried it out but I think I used the view finder and don't remember what the display was showing. It does take nice pictures :) Thanks for the reply's.

Sean Troy
12-25-2011, 4:29 PM
Unless you have Live View (LV) setting on your camera, all should be well. You only use the Display to see menu and pictures already taken.

Scott Donley
12-25-2011, 5:06 PM
Unless you have Live View (LV) setting on your camera, all should be well. You only use the Display to see menu and pictures already taken.Thanks Sean, Between you and Bruce My Christmas day is a lot brighter :)

Sean Troy
12-25-2011, 5:37 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/ great forum for questions about your camera and it's use. Learn the manual settings and it will take great shots.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2011, 5:47 PM
The bad, after playing with it a bit I must have pushed the wrong button, now the lcd no longer shows nothing but the menu unless in play back mode.

My camera is different, but there is a button by the eyepiece that caused this to happen on mine.

jtk

fred marcuson
12-25-2011, 7:35 PM
the d40x only shows the menu and pics you took . it does not show what you are taking for a pic :)

Scott Donley
12-26-2011, 5:24 PM
All is good now :) Only downside now is my 70-300 FS telephoto from my old Nikon film camera does not work in auto focus. I can deal with that, I am used to manual focus after years of being under the hood doing large format photography. Thanks again !