PDA

View Full Version : My first Xmas box. (not so great)

Ron Bontz
12-24-2011, 8:09 PM
Well last year I turned a hollow form to put my wife's xmas present in. So this year I thought I would do something similar. I decided to turn a small box with some of the newly aquired wood I received for fellow creeker Dave Dobbs.
And the saga began. OK. So this time I actually sketched something out on the paper with all the little squares for scale.
I chucked up the wood, drew some lines, cut tenons on both ends put a chuck on both ends and used my oneway live center adapter and off I went. Eventually I parted it in half and concentrated on one half at a time. Everything was going slow but fine. 10 hours or so later I had finished the top, not real crazy about the finial but at that point I did not think I could correct it without it snapping.
I had already finished the box taking it down to about 1/4". As I began to put finish on the top I looked at the box and decided to make a small change to the base.I didn't like the ogee at the bottom so I reverse chucked it and put it back on the lathe. I only had to take off 1/4" off the bottom to change the shape. Me in my hurry promptly grabbed my HD scraper and in that last 1 1/2 of wood...CATCH,BANG. And off flew my box in 2 pieces. I was speechless and could not believe I did such a bone head thing.
Well I looked at the clock and it was 10:30PM. No way to turn another in time for X-mas morning and have it finished. Soooooooo... I broke out the 2 part epoxy. Yep I glued those two halves back together the best I could. Then left it over night. Today 24th. back to the lathe. Re chucked. Broke out the 50grit and 80 grit. Lightly reshaped. And ever so carefully using a skew this time finished trimming the base. Re-sanded again and off to the lacquer it went. So now after several coats and hours and hours I have it finished. (sort of) I am not real thrilled with it but time done run out. For better or worse it will be left on the dresser in the morning before I go to work with a little present inside. Almost forgot. 9"tall overall with a 5" dia. Finial is 3 3/4" tall. C&C welcome. 217114217115

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 8:23 PM
I'm sure she will love it!

Harry Robinette
12-24-2011, 8:32 PM
I see a very nicely done box. The wood is beautiful and top to bottom match up great,also very nice finish,I think she'll love it.

Keith Westfall
12-24-2011, 8:51 PM
Can't see anything wrong with that one. Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I have no doubt she will love it. Don't see a thing wrong. Nicely done.

Bob Haverstock
12-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Ron,

One of my best friend's name is Two Part Epoxy. I call on ol' Two Part a lot. I have a large 2 piece maple egg drying and cracking as I type.

BTW, we had lunch with Dave and his family. His sister said I could tag along too.

Merry Christmas!
Bob Haverstock

Baxter Smith
12-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Neat box. Looks fine to me. Its the thought that counts anyway!;):)

Steve Vaughan
12-24-2011, 11:23 PM
That's a great box! Ain't nuttin' wrong with that right there!

Joe Watson
12-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Nice save, cant see any glue from here.
I really like the shape of the body - end result looks great.

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2011, 3:12 PM
Ron - nice save! I am sure your wife will love it!!

David E Keller
12-25-2011, 3:15 PM
Few things make it off of my lathe without a little CA or epoxy, so I see no shame there! Nicely done, sir!

James Combs
12-25-2011, 3:23 PM
Looks great to me, sure is no evidence of a glue line, great save and I know that it will be appreciated. BTW you...ahhh... must have turned away from us when you mentioned what would be in it, I didn't quite catch it.:rolleyes::D Would you mined repeating that please??;)

Ron Bontz
12-25-2011, 4:30 PM
Ah yes. I get her a little piece of jewelry every year. The down side. Now she needs a bigger jewelry box to boot.