PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ornaments for 2011

Greg Ketell
12-24-2011, 7:19 PM
Haven't been doing much turning recently but my wife asked for birdhouse ornaments for the family this year. She turned the perches and I did the rest.

Here's the full line-up.

And close-ups of a few of them.

Zebra wood body, Purple Heart lid, ebony perches, birds from Michael's.
Please feel free to comment so I can improve!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, and any others I might have missed to everyone!

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2011, 8:08 PM
Very nice work by both you and your wife! These are going to make wonderful gifts! I don't have any suggestions on areas to improve... these look great just the way they are!

Ron Bontz
12-24-2011, 8:18 PM
I like those as well. Curious where you got the hook thingys.

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 8:49 PM
Glad you found a little time to turn! The roof is a little flatter on most of these than what I'm used to seeing, but I think they look cool as is. Interesting wood combo too!

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 9:31 PM
Earrings for hooks?

They look very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2011, 9:56 PM
Great looking bunch. Those always make great gifts.

Baxter Smith
12-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Neat gifts Greg!

Mike Peace
12-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I found some hooks just like that but without the bead at the Kroger Grocery store in the Christmas area.

Joe Watson
12-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Not a big fan (yet) of birdhouses or ornaments, but i guess when you mix the two its a winner for me :) Looks good.

John Keeton
12-25-2011, 6:15 AM
Nice batch of ornaments, Greg - great collaborative work! I like the ones with the more "Hershey kiss" shaped roof.

Eugene Malone
12-25-2011, 6:27 AM
Just love them ,real classy have to try some ,Thanks for showing

Bill Hensley
12-25-2011, 6:51 AM
I'm liking those and the flatter roof looks fine. They will be appreciated for sure.

James Combs
12-25-2011, 3:10 PM
Some good looking ornamental houses Greg. I will probably be plagiarizing your roof design for future ornaments of my own.;) Hope you don't mind.:D

Kevin Lucas
12-25-2011, 6:11 PM
Very nice forms on those I like it. The zebra wood has a nice look but what really gets me are those hangers. Those are too cool!

Michael Short
12-25-2011, 8:38 PM
Very nice Greg. I like them all.

Greg Ketell
12-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Thank you all for the very nice comments!! They were a big hit today!

Earrings for hooks? They look very nice!

Very nice forms on those I like it. The zebra wood has a nice look but what really gets me are those hangers. Those are too cool!

I like those as well. Curious where you got the hook thingys.
I asked my wife. All she can remember is it was an after-Christmas sale last year. She can't remember where. Sorry!! They are definitely ornament hooks. Came in a package of a dozen or so.

Glad you found a little time to turn! The roof is a little flatter on most of these than what I'm used to seeing, but I think they look cool as is. Interesting wood combo too!

Yes, they are flatter. They were turned from a 1x4 of purple heart so I didn't have a lot of wiggle room. The roofs are about 2-1/2" diameter with the entire ornament being 2-3/4" tall, or thereabouts. The further I got into them the better the roofs got. I was aiming for more of a "pagoda" look.

Some good looking ornamental houses Greg. I will probably be plagiarizing your roof design for future ornaments of my own.;) Hope you don't mind.:D

Not at all. They aren't "unique" by any measure and I freely admit taking "hints" from other ornaments I've seen on this list, other turning lists, google image search, and youtube. ;)

Thanks again for all the comments!! Hopefully I'll be doing more turning soon!
GK