PDA

View Full Version : Rescued oops...

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-24-2011, 4:34 PM
Firstly, they aren't my "oops's"... My turning mate Jon had a couple of blowouts a few weeks back, and when I went to visit, they were on his firewood pile... Being nosey, I picked them up, and he said "Oh, they're nothing really, I was just faffing". He caught the small one as he was parting off, and the big one was bone dry, and decided to explode mid way through a roughing cut. I've butchered them into shape, and returned them - one for his wife (a flour scoop):-

and one for him, a chair to go with the fairy mushrooms he's fond of making:-

I've also got a footstool project on the go - it's not a turned item, but I'll post it on here when it's done.

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 8:52 PM
Nice save on the scoop! The chair seems a bit of a stretch, but it sounds like it's meant to be a bit of fun between mates. Looking forward to seeing the stool.

Eric Gourieux
12-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Great saves. Particularly the scoop. What is the material? What is "faffling"?

Joe Watson
12-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Creative eye, nice job.
Google says 'faffing' is to "play around, waist time"; never heard of it before, is it an English thing ?

John Keeton
12-25-2011, 6:05 AM
Primvs, put a pedestal under that chair and call it a "bar stool" - or "pub stool" for you Brits! Nice saves!

Bernie Weishapl
12-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Primvs nice save on those. The scoop looks good.

Primvs Aebvtivs
12-25-2011, 4:06 PM
Thanks guys - the "chair" is about 8 inches diameter... "Faffing" in our houses is messing around / playing at making something / wasting time, and yes I do think it's an English thing!
The scoop is beech, and the handle is apple I believe. The scoop part was his oops, the handle - tenon'd into the scoop - was a rejected mushroom that the wife didn't like the look of, so I turned it down to fit a 13mm flat bit hole.