PDA

View Full Version : Does a No. 7 Union plane compare to a No. 7 Stanley?

Larry McGarrah
12-24-2011, 4:07 PM
I am looking at buying a Union No. 7G plane. The plane looks to be in excellent condition and has no rust and all the wood is solid with it's original finish. If it was Stanley I would have jumped on it at the price they are asking. My question is how does Union's No. 7G compare to Stanley's No. 7?

Jim Koepke
12-24-2011, 4:26 PM
OK, had to look in an old catalog to find that the G stands for Grooved. That is like the Stanley C for Corrugated.

Stanley bought Union Plane Co. around 1920. If the one you are looking at has "Union Manufacturing Co." it is likely earlier than 1915, or so, when the plane making was spun off and eventually sold.

My thought on the Union plane that I once had is that in some ways it was a little better than a Stanley. The blade was a bit thicker. In other ways, it wasn't quite as nice. The lateral lever is a bit thinner and more likely to bend.

The knob and tote on a Union plane are originally mahogany. I like the rosewood used on the Stanley planes.

One thing to consider when buying an old plane is the ability to replace parts. Many fine planes would be useless if one needed to acquire some hardware or other part.

Old Stanley planes were so common that there parts are available without much trouble.

So depending on the price, it could be worth pursuing.

jtk

Larry McGarrah
12-24-2011, 4:34 PM
The price was under $30

David Weaver
12-24-2011, 4:40 PM
If there's nothing broken on it, it should easily be worth $30.

James Taglienti
12-24-2011, 5:12 PM
It should be just as good, even better if its got the heavier cutter. For 30 bucks id buy it for sure

Archie England
12-24-2011, 6:25 PM
Sounds like a great buy! Of course, YMMV; but, I've found the Sargents, Millers Falls, Unions, and Ohio planes to be selectively great old tools--sometimes far superior to comparable Stanley years; others, not quite so. Give it a good look over and try to spot potential deal breakers; other than that, many of these oldies are true gems!

Enjoy

Jeff L Miller
12-24-2011, 8:47 PM
I would grab it for the asking price. Of course if there are any obvious issues you may want to offer less and dicker.....if you'er comfortable with that.

I did some looking and there is one that has been brought back to near new here.... http://lumberjocks.com/topics/26133 (I don't think I violated any rules, but if I missed one, let me know)

All that has been said above is great info. The Union plane in the #7 size is a great plane and worth the investment I think.

I flatened by bench top with a #7 and loved the length, heft, and results.

Hope you grab it.

Jeff

Mike Davis NC
12-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I paid $40 for a Union #8 and consider it the equal of any of my Stanleys. I think as users they are very worthwhile. Because collectors shy away from most other brands they can be bought for great prices.

Jim Matthews
12-25-2011, 7:49 AM
If it's complete, without cracks or welds - straight and adjustable (check all the screws for easy movement) then it's a bargain.
You'll pay in excess of $250 for a similar size wooden body or modern jointer this size.

With the blade installed and tensioned by the cap lever, put a straight ruler from front to back, corner to corner.
If it's flat along this length, it's a keeper. If it's out of flat by more than a couple thousandths of an inch, beware.

Jim Koepke
12-25-2011, 1:53 PM
The price was under $30

As in was because you bought it?

I would have. Even without needing one or the project. There could be some money made at a price like that.

jtk

James Owen
12-25-2011, 8:21 PM
Used to have the Union equivalent of a Stanley #6C; paid about $25,-- for it. Great plane! If the #7 is in good shape, it's easily worth $30,--. You'll enjoy using it.

Jim Matthews
12-26-2011, 9:10 AM
As in was because you bought it?

I would have. Even without needing one or the project. There could be some money made at a price like that.

jtk

If you're buying a tool to use, that's one thing.
I don't encourage this kind of thinking - these were mass produced, and aren't scarce.

If you're trying to offset losses in your portfolio, it would be faster to make bonfires out of your pocket money.

The tool mongers can smell this kind of enthusiasm, miles away.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2011, 12:37 PM
If you're buying a tool to use, that's one thing.
I don't encourage this kind of thinking - these were mass produced, and aren't scarce.

If you're trying to offset losses in your portfolio, it would be faster to make bonfires out of your pocket money.

The tool mongers can smell this kind of enthusiasm, miles away.

I know they are not scarce. I also know some tool buyers would like to buy a plane that has been restored and is ready to work.

Here is the story on the last #7 I bought:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

It is now definitely worth more to me than what I paid for it. A few people PMed me with offers to buy it from me. They were also willing to pay more than the price I paid for it.

Call it what you want, but I think of it as a kind of free enterprise.

My portfolio is not among my worries. Hopefully someone in my family will enjoy my tools when I am not longer able. Fettling tools is one of my simple pleasures in life. If spares are acquired, they are set aside until a reason comes along to sell them. Last time this happened I was able to purchase a new LN #62 with a hot dog, a few Auriou rasps and a marking gauge.

Here is one of the planes that was sold at that time:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?120000

Tool mongers usually do not offer tools at prices I would consider when buying something with an eye toward selling.

My comment about the price was meant more to let Larry know if he hasn't bought the plane already, is undamaged and it is still available, he should jump on the deal and fix it up for his own use.

I hope he lets us know how this turned out.

jtk

Larry McGarrah
12-26-2011, 1:24 PM
I went back and further checked out the Union 7G. While it shows no sign of damage it does appear to have a slight bow. I placed it on a good flat surface and could see light under the center. Even at the $24 asking price I decided to pass.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2011, 2:06 PM
I went back and further checked out the Union 7G. While it shows no sign of damage it does appear to have a slight bow. I placed it on a good flat surface and could see light under the center. Even at the $24 asking price I decided to pass.

More than a few thousands could have been a lot of work.

jtk

David Weaver
12-26-2011, 2:47 PM
More than a few thousands could have been a lot of work.

jtk

Ditto that, I've learned to let those sit. It's worth the trouble to lap them if you really want the plane, but not worth it if it's not.

I would always expect a concession type price on a union plane of the bailey copy type with bailey style adjuster because while there are some sellers on the forums who will try to get stanley prices for them, they generally will not sell for that. I had a 7c, and while it was a nice plane, I would consider it not quite as good as a type-10 through sweetheart era stanley (though as good as some other types) and harder to dump if you decide you don't want it. I took a fair loss on mine when I sold it, despite the fact that it had no problems.

If I were to get an off-price plane, I'd rather have a red-frogged millers falls plane, but they should be off-price, too, in common sizes, despite the fact that some used tool sellers on forums have priced them as high or higher than stanleys since they were talked about a lot on forums a few years ago as being the equal of good stanley planes in use.