PDA

View Full Version : Finishing preference question for the crowd.

Steve Vaughan
12-24-2011, 1:35 PM
So, seeing everyone's work here, all the styles, etc, is really great. It made me wonder about your preferences for the final finish and why. Do you prefer glossy? Semi-glossy? Flat? Do you stick primarily with one or do certain pieces or wood type help you determine the finish?

For me, I've done 99.9% of my stuff in a satin or semi-gloss final finish. I've rarely done an all out glossy finish although I'm about ready to give that a shot. To me, satin or semi-gloss is really nice looking finish. Oh, and it hides a few operator errors too.

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 1:52 PM
I don't think I have a favorite, or maybe they're all my favorite. I started with really glossy stuff, but lately I seem to be more attracted to the softness of a satin finish.

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 1:55 PM
For me it depends on the end use of the item. I love picking up a bowl and feeling the wood

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2011, 2:26 PM
I agree with Ken... it really depends on the function of the turning. Most of the stuff I turn these days is 'artful' and I use wipe-on poly for most of those.

Alan Trout
12-24-2011, 2:38 PM
Steve,

I use finishes depending upon the particular piece. With my "Syntho-Organic" pieces I use gloss finishes because it ads to the depth of the resin portion of the pieces. I have experimented with leaving them satin but the gloss really ads to the piece. With that being said I feel that a good quality gloss finish is the hardest to achieve. No scratches with minimal defects is what I always strive for. I really like soft finishes on natural wood pieces. I will use anything from a Watco type finish to the gel satin poly finishes which I have become pretty fond of.

Merry Christmas,

Alan

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2011, 3:58 PM
I use a lot of gloss lacquer, both water white and pre-cat. depending on how tough a finish I want. For oil I prefer Forby's gloss tung oil. It builds fast and dries in a couple of hours. For spraying from a rattle can it is hard to beat Mohawk lacquers. Lots of solids, a few coats and it is done. I will use 75% poly and 25% danish oil for a wipe on poly finish.

Dennis Ford
12-24-2011, 4:18 PM
I use gloss lacquer for at least half of my stuff, this often gets cut back to a satin finish. For the other items, I use WOP for some of them and oil for some (either walnut oil or tung oil).

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2011, 5:34 PM
Like the rest it depends on the use. Utility items get walnut oil. I use gloss rattle can lacquer, gloss WOP, and Antique oil. Around here gloss sells for some reason more than semi or satin.