PDA

View Full Version : Now i'm itching for spring

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 1:33 PM
All the salad bowl posts as of late have me wanting fresh spinach from my garden.....

When the green stuff is ready, I will have a bowl ready to hold it all. 12 x 4 and will be around 1/2 inch thick. This maple was pretty dry but I sealed the lip anyway and will return it in a few months.

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2011, 1:41 PM
Looks like it will make a great salad bowl! Hope it dries without any problems!

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 1:50 PM
Good thinking! Today's rough outs will be ready just in time!

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 1:54 PM
I cut this Maple about 2 years ago, shy a month or so. It was sanding well but I stopped and sealed it, no real rush. Its practice for that big piece of Ambrosia Maple sitting here taunting me LOL!

Allan Ferguson
12-24-2011, 2:17 PM
Did I see a paint chip off that new lath? Good looking bowl.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-24-2011, 2:27 PM
Maple is such nice wood to turn. That bowl will hold lots of spring greens. Don't stop with the spinach. Throw in some water cress and a bit if blue cheese and invite me over. Nice clean interior. If it's sugar maple, two years in the log should have released a lot of moisture. I hope you use that doesn't darken it. Maple is most appealing to me when it is light in color.
Have a great Christmas.
faust

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 2:29 PM
Ken, that is going to be one very nice bowl!!! BTW, I saw the paint chip, as well, and some fingerprints. I expect that all to be taken care of promptly!:D

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 3:00 PM
God gave his only son so that we may be saved.......

Jet gave me the 1642 EVS so that I may turn:D

Paul Singer
12-24-2011, 3:35 PM
I was going to make a comment about you still having your guard still on your lathe but then I thought back to a couple of deaths and many injuries this year and now I am thinking I should put mine back on. I have never even tried turning with it on. Never put it on from day one. Sure seems like it could be of help when the bowls decide to launch themselves.

Ken Hill
12-24-2011, 4:47 PM
Tried the guard, wasnt crazy about working with it on. It catches shavings pretty well. I figure if I get a piece on there that is likely to go kaboom...I will lower it in place.

No ,issng powdercoat, just a piece of bark. Plenty of tanin though:mad:

Jim Burr
12-24-2011, 7:16 PM
It's funny Ken, I have a 10" birch bowl on my 1642 as we speak! The guard is on and is great for holding the key, spur center, knock out bar...so on. I see your 1014 in the back there...just like mine! Since I always wear my Trend, The guard makes a great holder! I'll discuss the dust mask with you later!