PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls Langdon 74C Mitre Box restoration nearly done

Mike Holbrook
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
The silver paint may be a little bright but I kinda like it. Still working on some of the chrome pieces that have krud still on them. The saw handle is not taking the WATCO as well in a some areas, maybe the old stain is still blocking it. I will try a little more stock removal in theses areas to see if the wood will soak up more of the WATCO. The saw blade is sharp and cuts very well. I plan to get a lot of use out of this tool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/6564764689/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16891057@N05/6564764689/)

Jim Koepke
12-24-2011, 1:17 PM
If anyone in the Portland, Oregon southern Washington area is jealous, look at this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2721333814.html

I have no association with this person and have not seen this other than on craigslist.

jtk

Mark Baldwin III
12-24-2011, 1:31 PM
If anyone in the Portland, Oregon southern Washington area is jealous, look at this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2721333814.html

I have no association with this person and have not seen this other than on craigslist.

jtk

That's nearly identical to the one I have (had). I sold the saw, still have the box. I believe mine dated to about 1896. After that point, IIRC, the shape of the handle changed slightly.

Jim Koepke
12-24-2011, 1:38 PM
That's nearly identical to the one I have (had). I sold the saw, still have the box. I believe mine dated to about 1896. After that point, IIRC, the shape of the handle changed slightly.

Heck, If I had the need or the extra money I would have contacted the guy.

I don't need another miter box or another project.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
12-24-2011, 3:10 PM
I have been looking for one of the smaller ones. I like mine but would like something smaller. It may not look like it in the picture but it is bigger than it looks. The 26" saw blade is a monster. I would like something that would work with regular back saws in the 12-14" range. A bench hook is good but the mitre box is even more convenient. I think mine is a more recent model than the one on Craig's List. I was looking for a functional tool that could just about replace a chop saw.

I way restore another one to put in my business building, although it is on the same property. Moving that 74C around want be much fun and I want to build it into a sawing cabinet with more work support..

Gary Herrmann
12-24-2011, 3:46 PM
Nice job, Mike.

Mark Dorman
12-24-2011, 7:29 PM
Looks good and you will enjoy it. I had the depth stops on mine set up for some tennon work this morning.

Bill Fleming
12-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like a great job. I am just starting the restoration of a 74A. Does anyone know of a source for misc. parts and bearings? I need just a couple of items to have a very nice complete setup - hoping that it won't be a big chase or result in buying units for parts. What brand of paint did you use? I was thinking of Japaning the main cast iron components.

Jim Matthews
12-25-2011, 7:44 AM
I like the silver. It looks smart next to the polished saw plate.
I think having more reflective surfaces improves visibility under shop lighting.

Any repairs necessary to the mechanism?

PS - I'm appreciative of shop photos that show wood chips and a debris field, I don't trust woodworking photos that were made in a surgical suite.
The best kitchens are right out of a health inspector's nightmare - "seasoned" and a little chaotic.

Mike Holbrook
12-25-2011, 8:02 AM
I have not seen parts for sale via auction. I have seen units with major missing parts offered for parts. From what I have seen the parts changed around fairly often, at least in terms of screws, bolts washers, accessory pieces. I just used Rust-Oleum, oil based enamel. Not sure if it is better at preventing rust but, rust was my main concern. The panels the wood sits on were a little tricky to strip & paint. They have teeth raised on them apparently much like teeth are raised on the hand made rasps. Tough to get all the old paint out & new paint tends to sort of ball up around the teeth.

Jim, you would love my shop at the moment. I am in the process of reorganizing, moving major pieces, installing more lights, multiple restoration projects waiting on tools or repair materials...I like the silver too. I hope it is nice & bright making it easy to see my work pieces. I need all the lighting help I can get as my shop is underground with no natural light. An actual man cave. I tried hard to find a box with all the parts. As best I can tell everything is present and operational.