PDA

View Full Version : New to the Sawmill- Open Segmented Turner

Dale Maxim
12-24-2011, 9:35 AM
I am a new member to this group. I have a Nova DVR lathe and do mostly open and closed segmented turning. I have modified the William Smith fixture for open segment assembly and it works better for me. If anyone is interested I could post pictures and design( when design is finished). I am designing and building a more professional model now. I have also built a really slick duplicator attachment. Sometimes I think I have more fun building fixtures than bowls.

Nate Davey
12-24-2011, 9:41 AM
Welcome to the other side Dale. Can't help much with segmenting our ornamental work, Scott Hackler is definitely the man around here for that. Look forward to seeing your work.

Bernie Weishapl
12-24-2011, 9:50 AM
Welcome to SMC. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Look forward to seeing pictures of you jigs and turnings.

Allan Ferguson
12-24-2011, 9:51 AM
Welcome aboard. Like to see your work.

Greg Just
12-24-2011, 9:56 AM
Welcome Dale! This place is all about sharing so I would encourage you to post your ideas and techniques.

Rich Aldrich
12-24-2011, 9:58 AM
Welcome to the Creek. This is a great group of people. We look forward to seeing your work.

Mike Cruz
12-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Welcome and of course, post pics! We pretty much all like them...

Can't wait to see your work.

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Dale, welcome to the creek!! We look forward to seeing your postings and particularly the fixture designs - this bunch of folks love that stuff.

I sent you a PM (private message) and you should also have your "settings" such that you are notified by a pop-up when you receive a PM.

Hayes Rutherford
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Dale,another welcome. I don't watch TV and have no problem spending too much time viewing all things woodturning.

Baxter Smith
12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Welcome Dale, (from another one who likes pictures!):)

Michelle Rich
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
welcome Dale..not too many segmenters here, but myself and a few others. Let's see those pictures!

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Welcome! Photos, photos, photos... We love 'em!

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dale! We are all looking forward to seeing some of your work! Where you located??

Roland Martin
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome Dale, glad you decided to post here. I know what you mean about having fun making jigs and fixtures, I too like the challenges of do that. I've only done one segmented turning to date and it's quite interesting. There are too many things to try to be able to stay on one type for very long. We would certainly be interested in all you have to share.
Merry Christmas!

Steve Vaughan
12-24-2011, 1:20 PM
Well Dale, welcome aboard! And yes, pictures please.

Jim Burr
12-24-2011, 7:06 PM
Welcome Dale! I can segment...an orange, and that is the extent of my experience! Bill Wyco is a segment king, IMHO! How about some pictures?

Harry Robinette
12-24-2011, 8:07 PM
Dale good to have you on board the Creek is THE place to be on the net. Pictures of course, no picture didn't happen.
Good to have ya, come on in and enjoy.

Dale Maxim
12-26-2011, 3:07 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I need to apologize to john. He had to edit my original message. My wife would tell you i need a lot of editing. Anyway I attached a couple pictures of my work and the open segmented fixture that I'm using. If you are interested I'll post the drawings for the upgraded model I'm building.I also have a couple more pictures if someone wants to build one. I'm doing them in the .dxf format with turbocad. I'll email the files to whoever wants them. If you have any questions please ask. The open segmented bowl in the picture also has a ring with crosses and circles. It has top used in pot pouri( spelling?) bowls. The other pictures show urns and candlestick holders. The picture on the right shows an open turned top made from several pieces. I need to give credit to William Smith and his book on open segmented turning. It is a must if you get into this.I did the engraving on the top with my Zen CNC router. It is a slick tool. I'll do another message on my duplicator.

Mike Cruz
12-26-2011, 3:32 PM
Dale, thanks for the pics! I could look at these all day...

Josh Bowman
12-26-2011, 4:20 PM
Dale, cool turnings. I look forward to more. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bill Wyko
12-26-2011, 4:29 PM
Very nice Dale, I too am a segmenter. you'll be right at home here. Lots of fantastic woodworkers and more info than you could read in a lifetime. One rule here though. If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen. So welcome and post away with the pics.

Dale Maxim
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I posted a rather long item in the Woodturner's Resource Forum on my Open Segmented Assembly fixture. I've included a lot of pictures there. I will redo it here if you think it is neccessary or you can't find it.