PDA

View Full Version : looking for small local sawmills..

markus shaffer
04-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Hello,

Tomorrow we're off on a three week vacation pointed south. Was hoping on my trip out of the big city to maybe visit a sawmill or two where I could hand pick some lumber. The lumberyard I go to here is pretty good, but it's all big boards and usually pretty clean. Occasionally I like to use stuff with bark inclusions and other defects that usually don't make it to the place where I get my lumber. Nor do they get a lot of figured stuff either. I would apprecaite any reccommendations anyone might have on some small mills somewhere between New York and New Orleans. I'll be passing through the usual states, NJ, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA and the such. This is a road trip with no real set plans, so any reason to drive on small back roads instead of interstates is a good reason. I would certainly come back a different way through TN, KY WV and PA given that there might be a good mill or two to visit in that direction. Thanks..

-Markus

Sam Chambers
04-24-2003, 1:09 PM
Markus:

If you find yourself in the Atlanta area, stop by Suwanee Lumber in Suwanee, GA. (www.suwaneelumber.com) It's about 35 miles northeast of downtown, a few miles west of I-85. Nice folks, and they'll let you pick through the stack. They don't have alot of exotic woods, but lots of red oak, maple, walnut and cypress.

If you do make it this far south, be sure to spend an afternoon or so at Highland Hardware. (www.highlandhardware.com) You'll be glad you did!

Dan Bundy
04-24-2003, 1:54 PM
I have heard about one in Morehead KY (I-64 rolls right through it) but I can't remember the name (Possibly Valley View Hardwoods; also a place called White Harold Millworks). A guy from church has been there and talked about it having really good prices; I've not made it there yet.

Have a good trip! DB

Tom Sweeney
04-24-2003, 2:53 PM
Take Rt. 1 North - just inside the border of SE PA you will see an exit for RT. 10 Oxford. Go North on Rt. 10 for a very short distance, less than a mile I think & look for the wood sign for Hearne Hardwoods on the right.
<a href="http://www.hearnehardwoods.com" target="_blank">http://www.hearnehardwoods.com</a>

I've never been inside, though I plan to visit soon- They're having a tiger maple special - 50bf - $200. It's 25 minutes from my house. I stopped once but was overwhelmed by the amount of lumber & logs laying around. Posted some questions on BP & found out that they are supposed to be great people to deal with & will let you poke around & have great figured wood.

Sounds like my kind of trip - Have fun! :D

Tom Gattiker
04-24-2003, 3:42 PM
In union city indianna (on the OH, IN border about 90 min north of Cincinatti). You can check them out on the web.

Charles McKinley
04-24-2003, 9:25 PM
If you are coming back on I-80 get off at exit 35 Clintonville and we can check out he local mills. Give me some advanced notice and a wish list and I can do some scouting.

Sam Chambers
04-25-2003, 9:50 AM
Please check private message.

markus shaffer
04-25-2003, 4:06 PM
Just wanted to say thank you all for your suggestions. Got delayed a day here, so tomorrow will be the first day out.

Sam, I will be spending time in Georgia visiting family.. I was planning on going to Highland Hardware, but I'm also afraid I might really walk out of there with a Multi-router.. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.. I get mad when I see the guys in the magazines with them and I think I should have gadgets like that.. I'm not sure I'd be allowed to come home if I spent that kind of money on a tool.. Well, that's not really true. My girl has no problems with tool purchases seeing as I do pay the bills with woodworking. We'll see what happens when I upgrade to a Felder panelsaw though.. I might have to hide that bill.. laughs..

Thanks again everyone.

-Markus