PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Cb radios?

Aaron Kline
03-10-2005, 7:25 PM
I got a problem with my Cobra CB. I usually always keep it on channel 19 and when I turn it off or turn the truck off and start it up again its on channel 33. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Tyler Howell
03-10-2005, 9:06 PM
Aaron,
CB like some stereo, PCs and VCRs have a small battery or specialized capacitor to fuel the memory of the unit. After a while, like all of us it wears out and your unit will go to it's default setting when power is removed. Unless you have a good test bench wizard that loves you or you have some dirt on him/her, it's not worth fixing on today's disposable electronics.:(
Make sure that the 12VDC supply is connected correctly. On some units a separate B+ supply that is hot all the time is provided just for the memory and panel lights. Good hunting.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-10-2005, 9:18 PM
The simple fix is to re-wire the radio so that it is hooked up to a 12v dc supply that is always on, no matter where the key is. Whenever I used to run a CB, this is how I would wire mine, and I would never have a dead battery. Just get in the habbit of shutting off the CB when you get in and out.

Randy Meijer
03-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I don't know anything about CBs so take this for what it is worth. If Tyler is correct and your CB has a little internal battery like PCs, it may be easily replaceable. A lot of PCs use the little button batteries that can be replaced for about 5 bucks. I would at least remove the cover of the CB and see if there is a battery visible.

Another thing to do would be to find the Cobra web site and email their technical people. They could tell you if there is a battery that can be replaced.

Aaron Kline
03-14-2005, 9:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I tried Jeff's idea cuz I don't know the inner workings of anything electronic and it fixed it. Thanks again.