PDA

View Full Version : White oak dyed box/lidded bowl?

Roland Martin
12-23-2011, 6:00 PM
This is something I tried that is probably goofy as heck, but I'll post it anyway, my skin's fairly tough (fire away!):D It's white oak 3 1/2" x 5 1/4" including the knob. As you can see, the goofy part is that the lid and bowl are about the same height, kind of odd, but I did it anyway. I dyed it with blue transtint , but the color of the white oak really played tricks on the blue and ended up more of a green. I think I may have to drill a hole somewhere, when you pick up the cover, the suction wants to bring the bowl with it:eek:.

Steve Vaughan
12-23-2011, 6:05 PM
That's great looking! And I love the surprise color on the inside. That would be a great color for the outside too. Wish I could get that tight fit on my tops!

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 6:11 PM
Roland, I think it works very well!! The form is great, and the "faux" lid indent is located perfectly. Very nice work!

Blue is a tough color to use on wood - very difficult to get a true blue. One almost needs to bleach the wood to get rid of the yellow undertones. The Procion blue seems to do fairly well and IMO is more intense than is the Transtint.

Allan Ferguson
12-23-2011, 6:21 PM
Striking! Nothing wrong with thinking out of the box as they say. I like it.

Brian Libby
12-23-2011, 6:23 PM
I like it - I do not think it is goofy.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 6:34 PM
I like the form, Roland...........pretty neat box!

Hayes Rutherford
12-23-2011, 6:51 PM
Looks like a well done and useful project. As John said, the lid detail is in just the right place to create good proportions.

Baxter Smith
12-23-2011, 8:03 PM
I like it Roland, though I have to say I like the look of the undyed white oak intererior more than the outside. I was not very satisfied with the colors I got when playing around with blues and green transtint on red oak. Definitely a learning curve!

Jim Burr
12-23-2011, 8:37 PM
I don't know why Roland, but I really like the inside! White oak takes on surch a rich tone when finished...you'rs is great!

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
That is a nice piece Roland. Nothing goofy about that one.

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Looks good to me Roland! The color reminds me of fumed Oak... so, to me, you did great!

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2011, 2:28 AM
Nice job Roland! The form looks great with some nice curves.

Joe Watson
12-24-2011, 2:38 AM
Thumbs up here too... is it the lighting or camera thats playing games with the color, the first image has a brownness to it and the second has a greenish to it... while the outside of the third has a grayish to it (or maybe i just need alittle sleep :) ) ?

Roland Martin
12-24-2011, 6:54 AM
Joe, the second pic is the closest to the actual color. I've been playing with the photo tent setup, moving lights, different exposures......., :eek: I'll be trying bounce boards soon (the Jamie Donaldson way). I'm struggling to find patience in the photo taking part of this vortex. I guess I'll have to make this my New Years resolution:D

John and Baxter, undoubtedly there is a definite learning curve to the dyeing process, and am quite interested in this area. It's kind of funny, it seems though just a few months ago, dyed pieces didn't interest me, but lately they do (go figure). I think that a big part of it is that you guys and others are getting very good at it. John, is it the Procion MX you're using? I'd like to experiment with different ones.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 7:29 AM
Roland, the last three pieces I have done have been with the Procion dyes. I get them here - http://www.dickblick.com/products/procion-mx-fiber-reactive-cold-water-dye/ If you are dying an entire area, then you may want to wet the wood first so the dye dissipates evenly across the wood. Also, these are reactive dyes, in that they react with the cellulose. What you see in liquid form, or what you see when they first hit the wood, is not necessarily the final color. I find the colors to be true to the name, but not to what they appear. For instance, the Chocolate Brown is a purple liquid.

Roland Martin
12-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info, John. I'll order some to experiment with, I like the fact that they may be more intense than the transtint.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and your family.