PDA

View Full Version : Double Whammy Feeder Gloat

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2011, 5:40 PM
Santa must have ran out of coal because even though I was bad for most of this past year, he left two power feeders in the back of my pickup truck! One for the jointer, and one for the saw!

Peter Quinn
12-23-2011, 6:16 PM
NICE! I love that guy in the red suit. Enjoy!

David Kumm
12-23-2011, 8:56 PM
One looks like a steff 2048, what is the other? Dave

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2011, 9:21 PM
Sharp eye- 2048 is heading for the scmi shaper, the other is a SECO (tiawan). It's curently residing on my Felder K975 sliding saw. Seems like it works fine.

The feeder that is on the shaper is heading to the jointer- it's an italian delta cloan.

Running the saw making strips of mdf was a semi eureca moment.

David Kumm
12-23-2011, 9:36 PM
Stephen, I think some of the older delta were sourced from Steff. Used feeders are a good deal if you are patient. I found a Univer 1800. None of its parts seem interchangeable with any other brand although the horizontal tube is 1000mm rather than 800. The Comatic and Steff seem to use the same tubes- at least the ones I've had. The hardest ones to find are the horizontal motor- Wegoma- type. Good score. Dave

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2011, 9:52 PM
Stephen, I think some of the older delta were sourced from Steff.

I think that is absoluty true- the delta looks like a steff. I guess the seco is a comatic, but I'm not sure. It sure does look like the steff also. Next up will be a trip to Oella saw for some wheels.

David Kumm
12-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Have you tried Western Roller? The yellow ones work well. Dave

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes-- I have some western roller yellow tires on my shaper, soon to be jointer, feeder- night and day difference from the hardened tires that came with the machine.

It's going to take a little head scratching to mount onto the jointer though.

David Kumm
12-24-2011, 12:29 AM
I think J R Rutter has a wall mount for his jointer. I'm trying- not too hard- to figure out an L bracket attached to the wall so the feeder can get out of the way and not actually be on the machine. Let me know what works for you. Dave

Stephen Cherry
12-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Will do- I just got my tig welder out of storage, and I've been looking for a project.

J.R. Rutter
12-24-2011, 1:37 AM
Very nice score! I have that 2048 on one of my shapers (edit, I just noticed that you can see the top of the feeder in my avatar photo...) - great feeder. I sold the jointer/feeder setup that I used to have, but it was great for production quantities and as a helper for large boards, both edge and face jointing.

Stephen Cherry
12-24-2011, 1:52 AM
[QUOTE=J.R. Rutter;1835476]Very nice score! QUOTE]

Thanks- I went there to get the steff feeder, but I got a good deal on the pair. I've been thinking about feeder on the jointer mainly for safety- I just don't like moving my hand over the cutter, even with a board and push block in between.

Still drooling over your new jointer though!

David Kumm
12-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Stephen, the problem I had with my Seco was the inability to lock the vertical tube tightly to the base so the feeder moved when under stress. While not common it is a problem with the Asian feeders. Let me know if yours is fine. Otherwise I doubt if you will notice a difference in performance. I'll have to experiment with mine when i get it back. Dave

Mike Cruz
12-25-2011, 9:34 AM
So that's where all the feeders have been going! Got a friend that has been looking for one...no such luck with Steven around. Great score, buddy.

Stephen Cherry
12-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Dave- thanks for the tip on the rising- I'll keep an eye out fot that. I know that the steff is a better feeder, but the other one seems to work OK.

Mike-- these things come up on craigslist rarely, even less often than the big PC routers, especially very close to home.

David Kumm
12-25-2011, 1:44 PM
They cost about $100 to ship so just figure that in your cost. The three phase come up more often. Older Elu and Holz her were good feeders too. If a nice Steff or Univer comes up you have to move fast but they can be had for $500-700 delivered. Dave

Larry Edgerton
12-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Nice score!

Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to me...........

Very cool.

Larry