PDA

View Full Version : Cutting slots in a rook -- question from newbie

Darryl Iott
12-23-2011, 4:50 PM
I am making some chess pieces and need some advice from the forum members. I am posting some photos of a rook I turned on a lathe. It is around 11" tall and 3" in diameter. It was turned from basswood...I wanted to practice on cheaper woods until I get my technique improved. After I get up enough nerve I want to turn some pieces in Indian Rosewood.

1) I need to cut the slots in the top so it looks like a castle. Do you think I should use a dado set or a router bit to cut the grooves? I need to make a cut and then turn it 30 degrees, cut another set and a 3rd set at the next 30 degrees. Altogether there will be 6 slots cut in the top.

2) I used a 2" Forstner bit to hollow out the top, but it leaves a point in the middle of the rook. Do you think that is objectionable? I can use a small gouge to round out the bottom, but that isn't as easy for me to do. I'm a newbie.

3) I have a 3" x 3" x 12" Indian rosewood peppermill blank that has 10% moisture. My plan is to turn it, sand it and get a coat of shellac on it before it starts to dry out. I don't want the piece to crack on me. The finish I normally use is Minwax Clear Gloss Polyurethane. On a forum I read that (for rosewood) you should use shellac as the first coat, wait until it's fully dry and THEN use the Polyurethane. Any comments on the moisture issue or the shellac?

I think that lathes are so fun! I've wanted to buy one for 40 years and finally did it. What took me so long? Thank you for your responses to other turner's questions. I've read quite a few posts and learned much. This is my first post.

Thank you,
Darryl Iott

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 5:25 PM
I would use a dovetail saw .............or a bandsaw, slowly feeding to the desired depth.........the force of a spinning router bit, or dado blade might just destroy the last couple of cuts because there is not much support to the piece then.........bandsaw might be good................just go slowly and get your angle of attack precise................

You could try the router bit on a table, but do it in scrap wood first.........if basswood will hold up, then perhaps the rosewood..............I am not sure how prone rosewood is to chipout.

Richard Allen
12-23-2011, 5:43 PM
bAswood is very soft so a saw like a copping saw would make quick work of the slots. Just put in good layout lines and take your time. Us a rasp for the bottoms of the slots and then sandpaper wrapped around a stick of wood.

For the rosewood a dovetail saw or some other fine toothed saw will work nicely. Again the rasp and sandpaper.

To get rid of the dimple just use a small scraper. I would do the scraper work before turning the outside of the spindle.

Allan Ferguson
12-23-2011, 6:48 PM
Richards advice is spot on. A sharp chisel is also good for cleaning up the turret slots. Sounds like some jumbo chess pieces.

Steve Vaughan
12-23-2011, 6:53 PM
That will be a great project. And, you've done very well on this piece. Be careful. I'd suggest you not router unless you're using a table. Can't imagine how you'd hold it otherwise without the router kicking it out. I think I'd go with coping saw or table saw and clean up with a chisel.

Roger Wilson
12-23-2011, 7:03 PM
Take a look at a razor saw. It is very thin and designed for cutting small parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75300-Precision-Razor-Saw/dp/B00004Z2U4

After you've cut the vertical lines, make a sanding jig. A rectangular piece of wood the thickness of the slot you want and glue 80 grit or 100 grit to it. You can then sand a nice slot.