PDA

View Full Version : "Turquoise Accents"

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 3:39 PM
Last year I submitted an application for acceptance in the Kentucky Artisan Center at Berea. While they loved my work, they felt it was too delicate for the high traffic they have through the Center. It is again time for the application process, and I am submitting several pieces of a less delicate nature in hope of being accepted as a regular vendor.

During the recent, and ongoing "Array of Bowls" exhibit, they did accept four of my bowls (I don't do many!) and actually sold three of the four - all priced comfortably for me even given the 50% commission.

Along with the Rustica piece just posted, I just completed this one - curly maple with an African Blackwood rim. The accent rings are recessed, and embellished with a combination of very light detailing and some pyro work. The dye was Procion MX Turquoise. Dimensions are 5.5" x 3.25". Hollowed to 1/8". Finish is lacquer base (4-5 coats and rubbed out) followed by several coats of WOP, wet sanded and buffed to a gloss.

I will start another in this same SW flavor this evening (different wood species) and I hope to finish it prior to the filing deadline of December 31.

All thoughts are welcome and encouraged!

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 3:49 PM
This one has a very striking appearance............great form and the color choice is so unusual that it will stand out among the entries in an exhibit [IMO]

I think the embellishments on this are very nice..........not too heavy, just well accented. Good stuff, John!

steven carter
12-23-2011, 3:54 PM
Very nice John, I really like the color and the SW shape. I doubt if it will remain at Berea until the next time I visit there.

Jim Burr
12-23-2011, 4:19 PM
Ahhh...this must be the one we talked about. Good choice for dye! I'm working on the blackwood accent...it seems to work. Pyro is a nice touch. Did you freehand it or pattern a wire to get the curve?

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2011, 4:22 PM
Even though I'm not big on colored pieces, this one looks great! The black accents really stand out nice!

Robert McGowen
12-23-2011, 4:37 PM
The form is spot on and the coloring really makes it stand out from anything else that might be displayed. My only critique is that I personally might have made the "neck" of the collar a little more narrow so that the curve coming back out at the top was a little more pronounced.

Roland Martin
12-23-2011, 5:10 PM
I like this neck much better than the previous, with the embelishments and pyro, it seems to blend in well. This is overall a very nice peice, top to bottom, form and finish are spot on.

Bill Bolen
12-23-2011, 5:58 PM
Another beauty Sir! Keep this up and you may lead me to trying the dye routine myself. I find them growing on me and the appeal may prove to be more than I can resist.

Alan Trout
12-23-2011, 6:09 PM
I really like the form and the color along with the embellishments. Well Done.

Alan

Allan Ferguson
12-23-2011, 6:28 PM
First rate. you really get some fine finishes on your turnings. I would be pleased to do half as well.

dan carter
12-23-2011, 6:53 PM
The accent rings add to a very nice turning. The pyro sets off the rings. Both give this turning more of a regal feel to it.

Hayes Rutherford
12-23-2011, 7:05 PM
very nice piece with excellent eye appeal. I feel it looks just as good without the collar.

Bill Wyko
12-23-2011, 7:41 PM
An incredible execution. The color is perfect and just the right amount of pyro to really take it up a notch and the form is perfect. Once again you've done an excellent job John.

Baxter Smith
12-23-2011, 7:57 PM
Love the color and the accent rings John. The collar (perhaps because of the color though I think mostly because of the height) competes with the form for my attention to a small degree. Very striking piece nonetheless!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-23-2011, 8:02 PM
Love the detail. This is surely not too delicate to show and I am sure they will love it.
Good luck,
faust

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 9:47 PM
I appreciate everyone taking the time to look and comment. It is interesting, as I like this piece better than the "Rustica" piece, though it has received a better reception than has this one. Just goes to show the wide variety of tastes when it comes to form, color and embellishments.

That diversity is what makes the creek such a great place!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2011, 9:58 PM
John - the profile photo reminds me of an Egyptian necklace! Very cool! Great form and the vivid color is sure to be noticed! I hope this gets accepted to the center! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the next entry!

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Beautiful John. I like the form and color. Accents add a nice touch.

Greg Just
12-23-2011, 11:28 PM
John - love this one, the color, form and embellishing. Any chance of getting a closeup of the pyro work?

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2011, 1:29 AM
Very nice John! The color looks great and I like the accent rings and pyro!

Michelle Rich
12-24-2011, 6:53 AM
Glad you are making vessels for display & sale at Berea. Yep, the folks who display have to take into consideration the "toughness" & if it can last with hundreds of pitfalls it may be subject to with clumsy humans around!
I love color, & this color will stand out in a room with uncolored vessels. The black/turquoise is a great combo. this vessel should appeal to many folks. Good luck & happy holidays, John.

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Another neat piece, John! Like Baxter, my eye is drawn to the top of the form and the collar, but I don't know that it's a bad thing. The detail rings are cool, and I like the coloring! Your muse sure is active!

Curt Fuller
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
John, that's probably one of my favorite pyro embellishments I've seen. The turquoise dye is very pretty, especially the variation in the intensity from the way the wood accepted the color. The only thing I'm not completely sold on is the shape of the collar. It looks good but I wonder if it might have looked better with a little less abrupt change in the curve. This is just a beautiful vase though and should be well received at the Artisan Center.

Ed Morgano
12-24-2011, 4:45 PM
John,
You continue to amaze me. That is another great piece. One question: Is the ring on top actually black or is it dark brown? It's showing up on my computer as dard brown......maybe I need to "fix" my monitors!

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 5:37 PM
Thanks for all the additional comments! Ed, the rim is African Blackwood that has been dyed black - so, it is definitely black!

jwjerry w kowalski
12-24-2011, 5:47 PM
John, every piece you do is spellbing, talk about perfection. Very nice details and soothing to the eyes.