PDA

View Full Version : "Rustica" - a tribute to Alan Trout

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 2:58 PM
I love the work done by Alan Trout with the pressure castings of the burls with voids. He creates such intense color, movement and contrast. However, lacking the talent and equipment, I thought I would give it a shot the cheap way!

Big Leaf Maple, with some burl, this piece is dyed with Procion MX dyes - both the brown areas and the blue/green areas. It is 4.5" x 4", with a walnut collar. Hollowed to about 1/8", it weighs near nothing. Finish is lacquer base, with several coats of WOP, wet sanded and buffed to a gloss, then Ren wax.

All comments are appreciated, including the negative ones!!

Jim Burr
12-23-2011, 3:03 PM
Looks like Earth! Nice dye job...and form, he'll be pleased!

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 3:05 PM
Not a huge fan of many colored items, but this one is pretty sweet

Hayes Rutherford
12-23-2011, 3:10 PM
Nice technique dying the zones and the collar makes it a touch more formal.

Russell Eaton
12-23-2011, 3:20 PM
Jim nailed it...nice earth. That was the first thing I thought of.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 3:24 PM
Well, I did not see that one coming! Nice way to expand your horizons, John! This is a super form you have done........the shape is dead on.............the dye in certain areas is well done.............nice concept!

Your finish is always superior in my opinion........[I hope I'm gaining on you, btw :rolleyes:;)] I think I personally would have liked the collar the same wood, but this one does work.

Allan will be honored that you found his work inspirational.

Jamie Donaldson
12-23-2011, 3:30 PM
I have mixed reactions to this John. The edges of the dyed sections are not all well defined, and run together in some places. I think a bit more intensity in the dyed areas would enhance the appearance as well, without losing the wood grain visiable under the dye, but as usual the form and finish are outstanding.

Roland Martin
12-23-2011, 3:31 PM
That's a very interesting piece, John. The transition between the two dyes are very clean and crisp and the form is one I've always been fond of. Sorry, but the walnut collar, seems to take away from this beautiful piece. Did you brush or wipe on the dyes freehand? How did you not bleed into the other dye?

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 3:45 PM
Thanks for the comments! Jamie, there are actually several dye applications on this one. There are some distinctly separated areas that follow the natural figured areas of the wood. The water base Procion dye, once dry, seems to stay put rather well. On this one, I did not wet the piece prior to the dye applications - something I have done with other work using the Procion dye. After both the brown and the blue/green areas were done, I really wanted some faintly blue areas to mimic some atmosphere/clouds??, so I wiped on some diluted blue/green mix on some of the lighter brown areas.

Roland, the rim is an element that intrigues me at the moment, and I will be using it on a few pieces until I purge it from my system!!:D I understand it will bring mixed acceptance.

Alan Trout
12-23-2011, 4:10 PM
John,

wonderful form and finish and it does remind me of one of my pieces. I really like treating rims and openings different and I think this works well on the piece. excellent work and very well done.

Alan

Roland Martin
12-23-2011, 4:10 PM
:D, well put John, isn't that the way life goes in general? Phases:). Knowing you, you're most probably on to something that I just can't grasp yet, and will be greatly accepted from the masses:D

Steve Vaughan
12-23-2011, 4:12 PM
John, that's neat! I'd change the name though to something like "Old World." My first thought was a globe showing what someone a zillion years ago might have thought the earth looked like from above. You've got the land and the water! Very cool looking grain and color.

Doug W Swanson
12-23-2011, 4:25 PM
Very well done! I like how the collar blends with the rest of the piece but I think a darker colored collar might be better. It's still a winner, though!

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 4:27 PM
John, that's neat! I'd change the name though to something like "Old World." My first thought was a globe showing what someone a zillion years ago might have thought the earth looked like from above. You've got the land and the water! Very cool looking grain and color.Steve, very good suggestion! In fact, when I emailed Steve S. a pic of the piece prior to the finish, he commented that it reminded him of an old world atlas. It will henceforth be known as "Old World"!

Just to give an idea of how bland this piece of wood was prior to the dye application, here is a pic. Other than a little more sanding, this is what it looked like.

Alan, glad you like it - nowhere close to your work, but then, nowhere as involved either!!:D Poor man's Alan Trout imitation!

And, thanks for the comments!

Scott Hackler
12-23-2011, 4:52 PM
So am I missing something here? Is there any epoxy or resin in this piece or is this just an optical illusion by dying the different parts?

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 5:34 PM
So am I missing something here? Is there any epoxy or resin in this piece or is this just an optical illusion by dying the different parts?

you guessed it Scott!

Bill Bolen
12-23-2011, 5:55 PM
Cool piece John and a clever departure from what I see as your "norm".

Josh Bowman
12-23-2011, 5:59 PM
John, that is just beautiful. Hugh amount of movement.

Scott Hackler
12-23-2011, 7:08 PM
Hmmmm. Well isn't that a smart idea!!! Looks cool John.

Bill Hensley
12-23-2011, 7:38 PM
Beautiful piece, "Old World" is really appropriate.

Question: Why a lacquer base with WOP top coats?

Bill Wyko
12-23-2011, 7:46 PM
Another extraordinary piece my friend. I was thinking about doing some epoxy work. I thought of possibly blowing up a balloon inside the vessel and turning a bowl for the vessel to sit in as an epoxy bath of sort. Then pop it out and turn it to final shape. It definitely intrigues me.

Baxter Smith
12-23-2011, 7:48 PM
Interesting idea John. Definitely has an old world look/appeal to it. I had to smile a bit when I opened this thread. I had made the assumption about a week ago that there seemed to be a connection between a persons favorite form(from the dyed oak I posted), and the forms that they turned and posted. I love the variety in the forms you do, but this time, it made me smile. :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-23-2011, 8:15 PM
John,
If I understand the process, you actually paint in the areas you choose with a particular color dye. So, you choose grain patterns that struck you as one portion or another that should receive a particular color dye. In effect, the sanded hollow form was a blank canvas and you created the colored patterns. I am amazed the dye stays put so well. There surely are a lot of possibilities with the fiber reactive dyes. I think you probably had a lot of fun with this piece. It took some courage to choose a color pattern knowing you were probably not able to alter it much after putting in the work to make the form. It's not like you can do trial and error on paper. Once you started you were committed. I like it and I like seeing someone emulate Alan's work with their own interpretation. He should be pleased.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2011, 8:26 PM
John love the form and finish. It has that rustic look to it.

Tom Hardy
12-23-2011, 9:14 PM
Great looking piece John. I really like the coloring

Tim Rinehart
12-23-2011, 9:34 PM
I really like the vessel but haven't warmed up to the collar. Interested to see where else you go with it.

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 9:44 PM
Thanks for all the comments - I really appreciate the thoughts and I enjoy the various thoughts on the rim/collar.

I had to smile a bit when I opened this thread. I had made the assumption about a week ago that there seemed to be a connection between a persons favorite form(from the dyed oak I posted), and the forms that they turned and posted. I love the variety in the forms you do, but this time, it made me smile. :)Baxter, you probably made a good assumption. I think we all turn what we like - though sometimes I have ventured a little beyond and it seems I never feel good about those pieces.

John,
If I understand the process, you actually paint in the areas you choose with a particular color dye. So, you choose grain patterns that struck you as one portion or another that should receive a particular color dye. In effect, the sanded hollow form was a blank canvas and you created the colored patterns. I am amazed the dye stays put so well. There surely are a lot of possibilities with the fiber reactive dyes. I think you probably had a lot of fun with this piece. It took some courage to choose a color pattern knowing you were probably not able to alter it much after putting in the work to make the form. It's not like you can do trial and error on paper. Once you started you were committed. I like it and I like seeing someone emulate Alan's work with their own interpretation. He should be pleased.
faustFaust, that is exactly what I did. There were swirls in the figure that had natural boundaries, and I following those interspersing the blue first, and then filling in with the brown in what was left. It was kind of fun. The reactive dyes are intense, and it doesn't take much of them. I applied the dye with a foam wedge, but I suspect one could do it as well with an artist's brush.

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2011, 9:48 PM
John - this one sure finished up nice! I like the name 'Old World' as it is very fitting! Love the form!!

Joe Watson
12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Yea, this does look really good... but as much as i like walnut; even on the pic before you start dying, for me it does not tie in. Even though you did the dying, it still has an organic feel to it but the collar just looks out of place on this piece...

Bob Bergstrom
12-23-2011, 10:10 PM
John, it is that is amazing difference between the bland natural look and how you totally changed the looks and brought out the natural accents of the wood. After seeing Alan's pieces at St. Paul, I gotta say all of us fall short of the brilliant color and creativity he can achieve. He sure can create magic with that pressure pot. Great finish and form. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Kathy Marshall
12-24-2011, 2:21 AM
Beautiful piece John! I really like the form and your dye job and "Old Word" really fits! I may be the odd one out, but I like the collar.

Michelle Rich
12-24-2011, 6:37 AM
It truly looks like a "worthless wood" project. Glad you showed the original before the dye work..Really a gorgeous vessel. As per ususal, you have hit all the bases with this one. I would luv to see this in person. beautiful!

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-24-2011, 10:31 AM
John I love the look now. However as I've mentioned before I'd be a little concerned on how the colors will look 5 to 10 plus yrs from now. Your work shows great forms
and craftsmanship. That's why I'd hate to see the color's soon fade. The turnings themselves have many decades of longevity & I'd like to know that it's finish would hold up for many years also. I'm just not convinced that dyed colors will stand the test of time. Just my 2 cents worth.

David E Keller
12-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Cool idea and nice execution! This reminds me of work I've seen where areas of spalted wood were bleached to gain more contrast. I think about Jerry Prosise's pieces that were dyed along grain lines as well. Bleaching some areas prior to coloring might allow for more vibrant colors if that is ever part of the finished look you have envisioned.

I think the look you've achieved is 'softer' than many of the others I've seen which contributes to the old world feel. I hope you continue to explore this. Thanks for sharing!

Curt Fuller
12-24-2011, 12:21 PM
What a cool idea! You have some amazing creativeness John.

dean griffith
12-24-2011, 6:36 PM
Fantastic John ! Wouldn't change a thing.

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 7:33 PM
Thanks, guys and gals - I really do appreciate each and every one of you!!

John I love the look now. However as I've mentioned before I'd be a little concerned on how the colors will look 5 to 10 plus yrs from now. Your work shows great forms
and craftsmanship. That's why I'd hate to see the color's soon fade. The turnings themselves have many decades of longevity & I'd like to know that it's finish would hold up for many years also. I'm just not convinced that dyed colors will stand the test of time. Just my 2 cents worth.
Joe, I do understand the concerns, and the acrylics you use are by far the best alternative. However, I do not have the skill to apply acrylics - at least to get the effect I want. At this point, I guess I will just have to stick with those dyes that I feel are lightfast. The Procion MX are advertised as such, and since they are used on textiles, they should do well. Perhaps the good Lord will leave me around long enough to find out!

robert baccus
12-27-2011, 5:06 AM
I like it. totally out of the box! the way you followed the grain lines and mixed brown somehow. did you cut the bowl in half or am i overmedicated again. the rim------ old fortester

John Keeton
12-27-2011, 7:25 AM
Thanks, Robert. I am not sure what you mean about cutting the bowl in half. The rim was simply a glued on piece of walnut that was turned as a part of the form.