PDA

View Full Version : How much does turning REALLY cost?

Brian Kent
12-23-2011, 1:27 PM
Still just planning my future…

I am 56 now. If I have not stumbled across excess cash or a great deal on a used lathe before I'm 60, then I'll just have to spew out the cash and buy a new lathe on my 60th birthday. I think Delta Midi or a Powermatic seem like nice toys, depending on whether I have $600 or $4,000 for the machine.

But really, how much additional cash am I going to pay for tools and accessories? And don't give me any of this "depends on what you are going to make" stuff, because how do I know what I want to make in the next 24+ years of woodworking after I'm 60????

Just give me a number, or a percentage, or a belly laugh.

Thanks everybody,

Brian

(I've read your answers before, so yes, you can add a new Oneway Lathe or a used Harbor Freight Mini-Lathe to the equation if it makes the you feel better.)

Prashun Patel
12-23-2011, 1:37 PM
I can tell you what I've spent in 2 years:

Delta Midi 46-460: $650
Extension: $100
Scroll Chuck: $100
Turning tools: $400
Monster hollowing system: $500
Grinder: $130
CBN wheel: $200
Varigrind: $100
Other accessories (rests, adapters, more chucks, more, more, more): $150

If I knew 2 yrs ago how much I liked this, I would have skipped the MIDI and gone for a something larger. Some of the stuff (rests, chucks, hollowing systems) are sized differently for larger lathes. They make adapters, though... But I've rejected a good amount of 14-20" blanks bkz I don't have the capacity.

- p

Wally Dickerman
12-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Brian, you've jusg answered your own question. ......How do I know what I'm going to turn in the next 24+ years?...

I can tell you that the change in turning equipment during the past 24+ years is astounding. Also, what is being turned when using this equipment is even more astounding....expect even more, much more, changes during the next 24+ years.

I get a chuckle out of people who say that they are buying a lifetime lathe...ther is no such thing for a dedicated turner. In my 70+ years of turning I've owned 9 lathes, each one bigger and better and more expensive than the last one. Tools? Most of us are buying and using tools that didn't exist a few years ago....who knows what's coming in future years.

David E Keller
12-23-2011, 1:52 PM
It doesn't matter what you're going to turn. What matters is how much money you have! Your future expenditures will be directly tied to the amount of money you have available. Increases in revenue will lead directly to new expenditures and a longer list of must-haves... At least that's been my experience a few years into this thing. You can get by on next to nothing after the lathe, a chuck or two, and a few basic tools, but I don't know anyone who has been able to keep it that way.

Steve Vaughan
12-23-2011, 1:57 PM
You can stay simple and focused on one type of turning and you might limit the spending some and keep it in check. I know one thing...when I got mine I wouldn't have forked out the LOTS of money for a 8-pc. bowl turning set and bought them as needed instead. I've still got one or two of 'em I didn't use and they ended up on ebay. Would have had some cash to spend on other turning stuff to start. Add on as necessary and as your turning grows. If you're lucky, you might sell a piece or two along the way to support the addiction. But, it's money spent, for sure. And, more than that? It's fun!:D

John Keeton
12-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Both Wally and Prashun are correct! I think you realistically look at the immediate costs (3-5 years) and go from there. My investments in the first year were about like Prashun's, except that I got hooked on figured wood and burls and spent a BUNCH more on those.

However, over the second year, I now own 6 chucks, and a larger lathe. I will say that my investment in gouges, etc. does not seem to be as heavy as others have posted. I find myself using the same 4-5 tools all the time, and I haven't seen much need to buy others. My "go to tools" consist of about 10 tools, including parting, bedan, and a couple other "non-gouge" tools.

I am 63, and hoping to retire at 66. I hope to have purchased most of what I might need during the next 3 years. At least at this point, I don't see a want or need for a bigger lathe. In fact, nearly everything I am turning on the Jet 1642 I could have turned on the Delta 46-460. I don't regret the purchase, but it also has not changed what I turn. I do have the option of larger pieces, but they do not "call me" yet.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2011, 2:07 PM
I wish somebody would send John a very large piece of big leaf maple burl............you know one that is about 24 inches in diameter and about 135 lbs..................

I would like to see if he would "feel the call" :D:rolleyes::p I also wonder if central kentucky would be the home of a new American Beauty...........................

I know John............with guys like me trying to drown you, it is hard to go near the water! :D;);)

Sorry Brian..........did not mean to hijack your thread...............just figure the enjoyment and perhaps some additional income from the craft and see how that factors into your perspective............you can simply look at it from a dollars spent perspective or what you get out of it in enjoyment perspective............I choose the latter!

Nate Davey
12-23-2011, 2:11 PM
A lot will depend on whether you buy all your accessories or build some of your own. With my Jet 1642, several Thompson Tools, a McNaughton Center Saver and two chucks, I'm probably $3000 into it. However, I built my own steady rest for about $30, vacuum chuck the runs off my shop van for $15 and my Ellsworth style boring bars for around $16. I'm starting on an articulated arm that is costing me $97. I don't turn exotic stuff, get all my wood locally on the cheap. To get to your question, I guess it depends on how much you buy-vs-make.

Robert McGowen
12-23-2011, 2:14 PM
Well, I have made more selling turnings that I have spent on my lathe and tools, so my opinion is that turning is FREE. Since it is FREE, I would get it now instead of waiting. YMMV

(You are welcome to use this aurguement with your wife also.)

Jon Nuckles
12-23-2011, 2:33 PM
I have purchased a lot of things I use once in a while, but I do almost all of my turning with just 3 or 4 good quality tools, and 90 percent of it with just a 5/8" bowl gouge. I wouldn't be happy without my 4 jaw chuck ($185), but I get by fine with only one chuck and rarely use more than one set of jaws on it. An 8 inch grinder and a Wolverine system with Vari-grind jig are a must, imho. Unless you want to buy wood to turn, you almost have to have a chainsaw (mine was $350, but they vary in size, quality and price), and a good-sized bandsaw is very helpful, but not absolutely required. A face shield is not expensive, but it should be one of your first purchases.

You don't need to spend $4000 to get a Powermatic. I bought mine a year or so ago for less than $3000; watch for the annual sale and compare prices online. Craft Supplies matched the lowest price I could find and included a gift certificate to boot. Others recommend calling Sean at ToolNut.

Dr. Keller is correct, though, that any excess cash transforms into turning-related purchases. I could get by with what I listed above, but I definitely have not avoided buying much more!

Kyle Iwamoto
12-23-2011, 2:46 PM
Don't forget to add a chainsaw in there. AND I'd invest in a good one. See the many Husky-Stihl threads. I currently have 2 Stihls, since I found that trimming up blanks and knocking off corners with a 20" saw is a bit tiresome. I'm not quite 56 yet. IF I were younger, it wouldn't be a problem. Had to add a small climbing saw.

However, having a chainsaw gets you "free" wood. I've taken down several trees, and taken the wood. Gave the owners back a bowl from their tree. Everyone's happy.

Carl Civitella
12-23-2011, 2:47 PM
You have to start first and see what you want/like to turn. Buying $500.00 for monster tools is sort of silly if you never get into turning hollow forms. There is a learning curve on how to use all the special tools, wait and see what you like to do. I think $1000.00 with a lathe and tools will set you up to do many turnings. If it is not what you like, you can probably recoup much of the cash you laid out. Carl

Jamie Donaldson
12-23-2011, 3:42 PM
Lets add to necessary items I haven't seen posted yet. Mention has been made ot the chainsaw and bandsaw, so next comes the pick-up truck for hauling wood. As the wood collection increases, there needs to be shop space added for wood storage out of the weather. Might also need an extra addition for the compressor and dust collection system, and of course the heat and A/C must be to service the additional floor space created. And the list goes on with the passage of time, and the newer and larger lathes,...........

Jim Burr
12-23-2011, 4:29 PM
Try going trough 120 pen kits a year! As I go back to utility items...they all need accessories. Wine glasses need glass, stoppers need the stopper so on and so forth. Some stuff is just downright spendy...other "needs" nickel and dime you to death.

Brian Brown
12-23-2011, 4:46 PM
Everyone is making this too hard with their lists, formulas, and future projections. *Let's make it simple. *A few years ago, the IRS came out with new simplified tax form. *Two lines.

Line 1 How much did you make?
Line 2 Send it in!

This simple formula applied to turning.

1. *How much you got?
2. *That's how much it costs!

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!!!

Brian Kent
12-23-2011, 4:57 PM
OK, Brian, so it is a simple formula - 100%. That is always the easiest.

Actually, isn't that the same price as a boat?

Steve Mawson
12-23-2011, 4:58 PM
I would add in a Trend or 3M Dust Helmet. Other ways to go that are cheaper as well. If you want to keep turning you need clean air!!

John Fabre
12-23-2011, 4:58 PM
Well, I have made more selling turnings that I have spent on my lathe and tools, so my opinion is that turning is FREE. Since it is FREE, I would get it now instead of waiting. YMMV

(You are welcome to use this aurguement with your wife also.)
Same here, but if you ask my wife how much, she says too much, I say not enough.

Richard Jones
12-23-2011, 5:06 PM
You can spend everything you have and then some, for sure. Shop slowly and wisely.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a camera (Jamie, finger pointed at YOU.......)

If you stop to add it all up, well, it takes too long and you could be turning something........

Please don't let my wife see this thread.

Rich

curtis rosche
12-23-2011, 5:28 PM
if we arent counting traded wood as a cost,
lathe, $125
motor $5
gear box and parts $40
vacuum pump and set up $100
grinder $75

everything else i have was either a gift, or in the case of chainsaw and fuel, was payed for due to me being at home and needing it for other things :D

Eugene Malone
12-23-2011, 5:42 PM
As was pointed out to me when I started, you can turn small pieces on a big lathe, but not big pieces on a small lathe. Boysie

Bill Bolen
12-23-2011, 5:51 PM
:)Oh heck....Counting the lathe just plan for for $15K. That will get you a Robust plus most of the other things you just might want. Kinda makes pottery sound better huh?:)

Curt Fuller
12-23-2011, 6:18 PM
$Infinity.00

Joe Watson
12-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Obviously there are alot of variables to this question; buying new, used, stolen, sales, close-outs, high quality, cheapo's, local, internet, etc., what common tools you have now - your access to wood (wood for turning is much easier "find" in your back yard (nabors or on the side of the road) then flat woodworking) weather you can make your own jigs and all the rest of the things people has listed here.

Heres a thread on some tools to give you some ideas (if you havnt already thought about it) what people use.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176055-What-tools-do-you-use

not sure if it has been brought up, but:
- face plates
- different size and shaped tool rests
- different size and type of jaws or holding fixtures

Personaly, when i bought my lathe (a year ago-ish - 12" swing, 1/2HP, 42" between centers (bed-extension)) i thought it would last me for a few years - depending on what i get back income tax time, im probly buying a new one. I planed on table legs, dowels, knobs and small stuff - cups, pencil holders, etc.. For bigger bowls 1/2HP is not enough for me, when i want to hog some 'green' wood, i stall it eazy - taking light cuts works fine, also i want to do "off-center" work and the 12" swing is not enough and the current lathe i have (rikon) is not a varibule speed, which was a mistake on my part, i should have known better (will not make that mistake twice).
So, if i had to do it over again i would get a lathe that i can turn 'out-board' or that has a larger swing but also alteast 36" between centers to i can make table legs and fancy "corners" on dressers.

_

Ken Hill
12-23-2011, 6:31 PM
I thought you guys were really smart on here.......

My wife pays for all my junk :p

Scott Hackler
12-23-2011, 6:38 PM
You guys are forgetting the "wife tax" of 100% equal spending on things for them. I find that "shuts them up" pretty easy. Just cost more!

Mike Peace
12-23-2011, 6:42 PM
Not sure if I am typical but I bought a used mini lathe with lots of turning accessories my first year for $1000. After realizing I was definitely hooked for the long term, I bought a new Powermatic 3520. So half of what I spent on woodturning in the past five years was spent the first year. I spend more on education (club dues, magazines, books, videos, symposia, woodturning workshops, etc.) than I do on equipment. I don't work at making money from turning but occasionally do with the sale of a few small items or a small turning project or commission. I give most of my stuff to friends and family. Now my hobby almost pays for itself. It is a retirement hobby that I do not want to become a job.

Russell Eaton
12-23-2011, 6:47 PM
Lets just talk about the last 60 days.
1- 3520B
1-Monster Hollowing rig (captive and articulated)
1-Stihl 391 chain saw
The 3520 was paid for in sales. But the rest was all out of pocket. Don't tell the little woman.

Roger Wilson
12-23-2011, 7:10 PM
You are limiting yourself to a false choice; either the cheapest or most expensive.

Look at the Nova 1624 at around $1200 normally and $900 on sale. It is a full size lathe and is well thought of.

Neal Addy has a comprehensive list of lathes that should open up some possibilities.

http://www.nealaddy.org/pub/Lathe_List.html

robert baccus
12-23-2011, 7:29 PM
Run for your life!! it's more habitual than drugs and more expensive.------old forester

Baxter Smith
12-23-2011, 7:32 PM
I think a good used lathe is definitely the way to go if possible. I have purchased 3 of them.:rolleyes: The second one came with a lot of turning tools, chucks and accessories. At $800, it was about 30% of what everything would have cost if new. Until a year and a half ago, I thought it had about everything I might ever want to do. Some of the extra’s I still haven’t gotten around to trying out.
My third used lathe with accessories was $1500. This time about 35% of what everything would have cost if new. If I added up all the other stuff purchased as well over the last year, those numbers would easily double. Good luck with the used. You won't spend much that way!:rolleyes::)

Bill Wyko
12-23-2011, 7:39 PM
One meeellion doolars!!!:eek: At least it seems like that since I said to myself "This will be a good, cheap hobby" back in 2006 when Istarted turning.:D

Sid Matheny
12-23-2011, 9:09 PM
No one has ever lived long enough to find out for sure.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
12-23-2011, 9:35 PM
All I can say is I have about $3000 in two lathes and probably that much in turning accessories (chucks, tools, hollowing tools, faceplates, etc).

Brian Kent
12-23-2011, 9:57 PM
if we arent counting traded wood as a cost,
lathe, $125
motor $5
gear box and parts $40
vacuum pump and set up $100
grinder $75

everything else i have was either a gift, or in the case of chainsaw and fuel, was payed for due to me being at home and needing it for other things :D

Curtis, I like your style!

Brian Kent
12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
When I'm closer to reality and not just having fun with abstract numbers, It would probably be a good idea to take a class at Palomar College or learn from a friend and see which level machine calls to me.

Brian Brown
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Kent,

Yes, that is the same price as a boat or {insert hobby of choice here}.

joel nucifore
12-24-2011, 7:02 AM
Well if you need a shed / studio / money pit also ?? in the last 60 days $30,000.00 plus and the great part about it is no POWER yet to turn the lathe on...

Jack Mincey
12-24-2011, 8:04 AM
This is the simplest answer. Since getting serious about turning 6 years ago I've only bought one non turning related item in this time for myself. It was a flyrod and reel which is another expensive hobby I suffer from. I have managed to pay for most of the equipment and tools by selling turned items. The $20,000.00 plus I spent building a shop in my back yard was the hardest sell to my wife. It turns out that depreciating the shop on my taxes has helped to get great returns the last few years so that expense has also been reduced some as well.
Welcome to the Vortex,
Jack

tom martin
12-24-2011, 8:29 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anchor seal, finishing supplies, CA glue, and sanding disks! I spend hundred a year on each of these items. Sooooo even after you get the perfect lathe and the perfect tools and put them in the perfect shop, it will go on forever!

John Keeton
12-24-2011, 9:03 AM
Brian, all of the comments on the use of "available funds", while made jokingly, are accurate. In all seriousness, I think the "extras" have much to do with where you are financially. Most retirement advise indicates one should make the larger expenditures prior to actual retirement, and I have chosen to do this while I have income. As a result, available funds usually result in unnecessary purchases, but purchases that certainly improve the enjoyment factor. Through Craigslist and here on SMC, I have ended up with 6 chucks (4 SN2, a G3, and an original Nova). It is much easier to spin on another chuck than change jaws, but certainly not necessary. Instead of having $600 or so tied up in chucks and extra jaws, I could easily do with two chucks, but two are a must for the type of turning I do.

So, much of this is really limited only by your ability to buy, and what you want from this hobby. I can tell you that I have been doing woodworking for 50 years, and while I was "in to" most everything I did, nothing has become as all consuming as woodturning. Please consider that when you "make the jump" and do it well before retirement so you will have time to acquire most of what you will "need" while you have some extra income. With less money coming in, I suspect you will find most items to be a "want" vs. a "need".

Mike Cruz
12-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Amen to what David said! I'm fairly new to turning and I KNOW why they call it a vortex.

*You find a lathe that will "work" for you... $200-600
*That doesn't really fit the bill OR You visit a friend's house, and turn on his really nice lathe...so you start looking.
*What you want is $4000, but you don't have the money (or aren't willing to spend the money) on that, so you look at what you can get the biggest bang for your buck on.
*New, you are looking at $1000-1600.
*Used for the same machines, you are at $600-1200.
*In my case, I went used, did a full restore, added all kinds of upgrades and bells and whistles, and all in...over $1300 for the lathe, but I think it is worth more...:rolleyes:
*Now you have your lathe. You NEED 1 chuck. You don't need the Cadillac or chucks. So you get an okay one with a couple of sets of jaws.
*You get sick and tired of changing jaws, so you get a second chuck.
*That leads you into realizing that it would be great to have a third ...you don't NEED it, but if you could find it on sale, or used for a good price, why not...right?
*You need tools. You don't take anyone's advice, and you get an introductory set...you'll never use 1/2 of them, but you don't know anything about tools, and don't know what you'll need and what you don't need and no one will ever answer the stupid question of "what tools do I need to get" because the answer is always "depends on what you turn".
*You finally figure out that there are 3 tools you use all the time. And if you do bowls, the gouge is the one you use most. The one in the intro set is okay, but you'd like a nice one.
*One day, you hear about/see someone using a cool carbide tool, or some gizmo tool that does it all, and that it is the easiest thing in the world to use...you get that.
*You've been seeing all these hollow forms on the Creek and want to try that...you get a hand held hollowing tool, that beats you up, you hear about the rigs, like Monster, and look into those...you get one.
*You find out that a steady rest for vases and othe hollow forms would be a really good idea, so you get one of those...
*You are coming up with a list of presents for people and figure it would be nice to make someone a pen...off to PSI, Woodcraft, or whoever...and you get the set up sets and mandrels, etc.
You USED to use BORG finishes, like Poly, but you've been reading about and seeing all these great other finishes, and buffing...oh, buffing. You get the Bealle Buffing system.
*While perusing a turning catogue section of a woodworking magazine, you see beading tools, and texturing tools, and scrapers...man those would add flare and/or make things a whole lot easier...not to mention, you'd be able to do some of the designs you had been thinking about with one of those...
*Oh, and with the scraper, they come in all sorts! Round nose, flat, skewed, inside bowl, outside bowl.
*And those tool rests that came with the lathe are okay, but look at those cool curved ones! That would make getting inside the bowl a LOT easier...gotta have one of those.
*You've been turning dry wood that you've had around, or maybe even bought some. But you have all that "free" wood that would otherwise be firewood (for you or someone else). But with turning green wood comes drying...either DNA (and a container), or AnchorSeal, or some other method (which usually involves buying something).

Brian, THIS is the vortex that everyone keeps talking about. And I've only scratched the surface. Also, remember that I've been at this for only less than two years...

Bottom line, you could have gotten by with the $200 lathe, a $50 chuck, a $50 set of tools.
OR
You spend $1500 on a lathe, and $2000 on the other stuff...and it never stops...as long as you have the money. ;)

Brian Kent
12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Another perspective. I buy a Honda Accord (built in Marysville, Ohio, of course) every 8 years. If I buy an LX with my favorite features instead of EX with Navigation, there's the $6,000 I need to buy a lathe and round one of tools.

Roger Chandler
12-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Another perspective. I buy a Honda Accord (built in Marysville, Ohio, of course) every 8 years. If I buy an LX with my favorite features instead of EX with Navigation, there's the $6,000 I need to buy a lathe and round one of tools.

Now you're thinkin' :D

Richard Kennedy UK
12-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Simple answer

MORE!

the vortex is strong in this one............

Mike Cruz
12-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Brian, is $6000 enough for 24 years of turning? I'd like to say... I HOPE SO!!! But I also know that money goes quickly... I really don't WANT to know what I've spent on turning. Two things I didn't mention in the above post was a sharpening system (grinder and jig...whether it be the Wolverine or otherwise), and a vacuum chuck system. The first will easily be $225-400 and the second would be $125 (at the very cheapest) to $500+.

But to answer you question/scenario, $6000 willl go a long way to getting yourself a good 16-18" lathe, and pretty much all the tools you want...for now...who knows what you will want/need in 5, 10, or 20 years...

Brian Kent
12-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Brian, is $6000 enough for 24 years of turning?

That's what I meant by "Round one" :D

Mike Cruz
12-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Brian, your question has likely been answered by now... I hope my original post shows how one thing can lead to another with turning, and gave you a peek into what to expect. It is a bit different than flat work. The depth that turning has and the diversity within its discipline offers so many opitons and fields, that you littereally get sucked into it. I think it has a lot to do with turning appealing to the creative, not necessarily the functional side of woodworking.

Rich Aldrich
12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
To put it simply, a lot of money, depending on your point of view. When you compare turning compared to snowmobiling, motorcycling, 4 wheeling, it really isnt that expensive. When I point this out to my wife, this helps, but doesnt really reduce the sting for her. I have a lot of money in my shop other than turning with the building and equipment for cabinet making. However, I gave up shooting trap and skeet so I transfered cost to my favorite hobby. I even sold my trap gun so I could buy my lathe.

So far, I have probably the equivalent cost in my accessories as I do my lathe. I still need some decent rests and more Thompson turning tools. Also, I want to get a monster articulating hollowing system and another chuck or two.

Bill Wyko
12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I think a better question would be, how much can I get started with to do turning? I started with a jet mini and some used shopsmith tools. I don't think I had 500 bucks into everything including a chuck. In the end, money well spent then and now. I feel I've been blessed to have the gift of being a turner. Good luck with your turning.

Dick Wilson
12-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Brian, I would without a doubt have vapor lock if I totaled up all the sales receits pertaining to my slide down the turning vortex.:eek::eek::eek: My only piece of advice is go for it and DO NOT LOOK BACK!:D:D:D

Keith Westfall
12-24-2011, 4:30 PM
It's hard to tell....

When I think about how much it costs, I get so depressed that I go out and buy a new tool, a piece of wood, etc etc, and turn something else. Never seems to end!!

Life is grand!

Bob Bergstrom
12-24-2011, 5:20 PM
Are we talking just to turn or the support items like a chainsaw, trailer, bigger bandsaw, hydraulic table, sanders, electric chainsaw, and many others. The lathe is still the cheap part of turning, but the joy of doing it is priceless.:D:D

Brian Kent
12-24-2011, 6:33 PM
What's a hydraulic table?

Mike Cruz
12-24-2011, 6:41 PM
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm going to guess that it is for lifting large blanks up to the band saw and/or lathe because they are so stinkin' heavy!

Chris Stolicky
12-24-2011, 8:18 PM
You spend $1500 on a lathe, and $2000 on the other stuff...and it never stops...as long as you have the money. ;)

Mike pretty much nailed it!

Steve Schlumpf
12-25-2011, 3:16 PM
I keep coming back to the old saying "If you have to ask..."

Dan Forman
12-25-2011, 3:37 PM
If you frequent turning forums such as this one, you will spend much more than if you don't. I find this to be true no matter what the hobby and it's associated forums (fora?) :D

Dan

Rex Guinn
12-25-2011, 3:57 PM
Brian buy a used lathe now do not wait till you are 60, then when you are 60 you can buy your 4k or 10k by that time and you will know what you like.

Brian Kent
12-25-2011, 4:21 PM
I like Rex's idea best.How about this one, folks. Am I on solid ground if I start here?

http:// losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tls/2767657137.html

Walker Turner L540 restored, with tools, short & long rest, steady rest - $250.

robert baccus
12-25-2011, 5:43 PM
I have long known that the best things to enjoy start with an S. Skiing, song, sex, shooting, sailing, spending, swigging, beachbumming? then i found Spinning wood. At my age more fun than all the preceding.

Doug Herzberg
12-26-2011, 8:05 AM
Brian,
My beloved gave me a copy of The Frugal Woodturner, by Ernie Conover this Christmas. She was probably attracted to the word "frugal" in the title. I'm only part way through, but the first chapter is full of the basics of what to look for in a lathe, new or used, including how to check out a used lathe and what to avoid. Having just gone through this process, I would suggest that you pick up a copy in the library or at Amazon and look it over. The rest of the book seemsto be about tools and accessories and will address a lot of the questions you have.

While you're shopping for books, look at The art of Turned Bowls by Richard Raffan (and some of his other books). It was recommended to me on this forum for his straightforward explanations of form and design. (I posted some of my early efforts and everyone agrees I need help in this area).

I decided, before reading the Conover book, on a Grizzly GO698, which was discontinued after I ordered but before they shipped. I expect to receive it this week, but so far the book hasn't given me any reason to second guess my decision. I chose the Grizzly because it's big enough and heavy enough to do what I want without breaking the bank. It's the same basic design as most of the 18x47 lathes in it's price range and some others here have it and mostly like it. It will be replaced by the GO733, which no one has seen yet. I may be receiving one of the first off the line.

As for financing and your automotive idea, I suffered some hail damage to my work truck. Since it's a work truck, it seemed the insurance money would be much better spent on a new lathe and bandsaw. I like the way you think.

I absolutely agree that you should not wait until you're 60. Life is short and it just seems to get shorter (and busier). I'm in my mid fifties and just started messing around with bowls on my little tube lathe a couple years ago. It's taken that long for me to figure out what I want in this area of my shop. A lot of learning to turn is practice and repetition, but you can avoid a lot of mistakes by joining a local turning club, talking with other members, attending the demonstrations, watching videos and reading forums like this one. I visited two turning clubs in November and joined one. I picked up a lot of free wood as a door prize, saw some great demonstrations and met a lot of nice people. One guy had a very nice lathe for sale, which I would have considered if I hadn't already made my decision.

Best advice from the clubs so far: Get a bunch of cheap wood and practice. No sense wasting the good stuff while you're learning. I cut down a beetle killed pine tree for that purpose. Meanwhile, I'm making friends with tree removal companies and have already filled up most of the free space in my barn with various hardwoods to experiment with next. I know California has fascinating wood growing everywhere and a lot of it just got knocked down in the recent winds.

Good luck. Welcome to round.

Brian Kent
12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I just read the preview pages of The Frugal Woodturner on Amazon and it looks very helpful. I'll see if Rockler's has one in stock today.

If the rebuilt Walker Turner L540 is still available on Thursday, I'll probably take a look at it. At $250 with some tools, it may be good to get into handles, spindles, and <10" mini-bowls.

I hope that Grizzly is great for you. I look forward to pictures and your reviews!

Brian

Rick Markham
12-26-2011, 1:49 PM
I'd post what I have spent in the last year, but I REALLY don't want a running total. It's art, it's my passion, it's priceless to me.

I think the real thing with turning is it can be as expensive, as you want to make it. Plenty of ways to be frugal, or plenty of ways to fall completely off the deepend (I chose the later)

Powermatic all the way! hehe... sorry had to say it!

Brian Kent
01-02-2012, 8:36 PM
I can tell you what I've spent in 2 years:

Delta Midi 46-460: $650
Extension: $100
Scroll Chuck: $100
Turning tools: $400
Monster hollowing system: $500
Grinder: $130
CBN wheel: $200
Varigrind: $100
Other accessories (rests, adapters, more chucks, more, more, more): $150

If I knew 2 yrs ago how much I liked this, I would have skipped the MIDI and gone for a something larger. Some of the stuff (rests, chucks, hollowing systems) are sized differently for larger lathes. They make adapters, though... But I've rejected a good amount of 14-20" blanks bkz I don't have the capacity.

- p

Prashun, if you knew then what you know now, what lathe would you have started with?

And Happy New Year.

Brian

Mike Cruz
01-02-2012, 9:07 PM
Brian, I'll let Prashun answer for himself, but in my experience and from the experience of others I know, if you like to turn bowls, you probably won't be happy with anything under 16". I'm not saying that no one is happy with a 12" or 14" lathe, but 16" seems to be the point of "good enough" for many/most of us. Honestly, 18"-20" is a size that could be a lifetime lathe, for sure.

I don't know about your "wood source", but here on my property, I could easily turn 20-24" blanks. However, my lathe capacity is 18"... so when DAMP has a wood gathering over here, I give the big logs to Tony because he has a 20" PM and I hate wasting wood. No sense in cutting out an 18" blank out of a slab that could yield a 20" blank!

Another angle to look at is that you have to be able to heave the big blanks onto your lathe... So, if you either have ailments or simply lack the strength to mount a 20" x 4" blank onto your lathe, kinda senseless having a 20" lathe... Of course, one could argue that you could still turn a 20 platter...which would weigh a lot less.

Bottom line, you will always want bigger and better. 16" will accomodate most of us. 20" will satisfy almost all of us. 12" will get you craving more...

Prashun Patel
01-02-2012, 9:57 PM
Brian, happy ny to you too!

I don't know enou about the larger brands to give advice.

On second thought getting a quality midi is a good way to see if you like this sport. I am hoping to someday upgrade to a powermatic or even a robust. But that's serious money and probably not the best place to start.

Also even though I WANT a larger lathe, I have a bad back. Even my 12" lathe causes me to deal with bigger logs than is smart for me.

Brian Kent
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks Mike and Prashun.

dean griffith
01-03-2012, 8:16 AM
It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hayes Rutherford
01-03-2012, 8:28 AM
This has probably been said before, they should just give you the lathe because the supplier sill make plenty.

Neil McWilliams
01-03-2012, 5:37 PM
Every now and then I find that especially helpful book. Before you get into chucks, read Fixtures and Chucks for Woodturning (isbn 9781565235199). It is filled with useful information, esp how to make your own fixtures. My go to tools are two bowl gouges, a 3/8 spindle gouge with a long fingernail grind, a parting tool, and two homemade carbide tools, one round, one "square". I'm sad to say that I have other tools that I have yet to use....but I might someday. The grinder with the wolverine bases and the varigrind are great although I have two homemade Ellsworth jigs that work just as well since I prefer the side grind, allowing me to sell the original storebought one. I'm very happy with my Laguna 18/47 lathe which I feel offers great value for what you spend. You are embarking on a grand adventure - good luck.

Pat Zabrocki
01-10-2012, 7:10 PM
$6000 - That's what I meant by "Round one" :D

My brother owns a honkin huge boat and I have a couple Harleys. We were having a money pit discussion one day and I told him everything at the dealership says HD cuz its a Hunderd Dollars. He immediately chuckled and said "BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand". So in that spirit, I'll just say, so you want to TURN, well - Triple Ur Riginal Number
Cheers
Pat

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 7:43 PM
Brian, ask Dan Hintz what it costs... He just dropped $7k on a used lathe. ;)

Brian Kent
01-10-2012, 7:53 PM
I know. I don't even have my first mini and I am already jealous of Dan Hintz! :p

Jack Epperson
01-10-2012, 8:23 PM
Just getting started myself. I'm in for about $1000 two weeks into it. I have:
Delta Midi 46-460, Super Nova 2 Chuck (reconditioned from the factory), Turning tools not a set I bought 4, Grinder, Varigrind.
Still need a band saw. Been told I need a big one. May cost more than my Lathe.
What I was told by a friend is to buy a lathe to grow skill on and learn what you want. But buy good accessories that you can use on your new lathe. I think my next lathe will be a Nova DVR, so I am buying things that will work with it and my Delta. I have two grandsons, I will keep the Delta for them. Two lathe's is not a bad thing. I guess I should say I am at a place in life where $ is not the deciding factor. Space is more of a problem. I will build a new shop before I upgrade my lathe.

Wells Jacobson
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Brian,
I am a fairly new turner. I took a woodturning class that I saw advertised and the question you have raised was discussed the first evening. We were reminded that if we chose to save money and turn green that a chain saw and pickup truck should be added to the purchase list. His point has proven prescient.

Brian Kent
01-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Bandsaw - Grizzly 514X2

First Chain Saw - little electric saw a friend gave me.

Truck - what my wife wants a year or two from now when we pay off my car.

It looks like a little money is coming in so I have at least a distant hope of getting a new Delta 46-460 or a used larger lathe this year (patience, patience, patience). I actually have not seen a really good deal from Craigslist since starting this thread, but I'm hoping that something magic could happen through contacts at San Diego Wood Turners. I go to my first meeting on january 21.

Despite the whole purpose of this "True Cost" thread, I would be willing to start with as good a machine as possible, then buy tools and accessories one at a time as I can afford them.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 8:08 AM
Not sure if this has been covered yet, Brian, but with the school of thought of buying a starter lathe now, then upgrading as you feel necessary, consider this: What would be you ultimate lathe? Sure, we pretty much all want a Robust, but I mean in reason... If it is a Jet 16", look at the spindle size. I believe it is 1 1/4". You might want to look for a first lathe that has the same spindle size. The reason is because then all your chucks, faceplates, etc can transfer over to the new lathe. If the first lathe you get has a 1" spindle, and you get all the accessories for it, then you want to upgrade, you'll have to likely get all new accessories. Of course, some of the chucks have inserts that you could swap out, but you know what I mean. Just food for thought...

John Coloccia
01-11-2012, 8:11 AM
But really, how much additional cash am I going to pay for tools and accessories?

All of it, give or take a few bucks for beer.

Brian Kent
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike, I'm going to guess my ultimate lathe if I continue would be something like Jet 1642-EVS or Grizzly G0733.

In cars, tools. and musical instruments I go for the best I can get for a decent price point. So yes, they are both 1-1/4" spindle size. I can picture making ordinary size bowls but don't need to be the guy that can make bowls bigger than anybody else.

I have a Grizzly 1023 table saw, 513x2 bandsaw, used 8" Grizzly jointer, used Delta 18/38 belt sander, used Jet 20" drill. Total cost paid for these machines is about $2,450 when purchased. All are full sized tools but not mega hyper tools. If I was only doing turning I would lust for robust, but I want turning as a part of overall woodworking. When I add carving and string inlays to the woodworking arsenal, I want to use them as features, not as something bigger and better than everything else I'm doing. So full size but I don't care about "best and biggest". Useful. Affordable. Sustainable. Fun. Hobby.

In a used tool I can paint, replace belts, replace a basic part or two, but my hobby is not rebuilding machines.

Prashun Patel
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Brian-
That's why I got a lathe: 'as part of overall woodworking' (read, to make chair legs and spindles). However, that was naive of me. I fell in love with bowl making, and now easily spend 50% of my discretionary ww time on that.

I don't think it's possible to know whether you'll succumb to the vortex apriori. Rather, I suggest you get a quality mid size lathe that you can resell if you don't like it. That's why I'd stick to one of the popular models.

I'm biased, and I know the prices have increased, but knowing your abilities and projects, I think a perfect lathe for you (budget notwithstanding) is the Delta 46-460 with a bed extension. You'll be able to turn any table leg or spindle on it, and it'll handle reasonably sized hollow forms and bowls. It's variable speed and reversible which makes life a lot easier. Also, this lathe is so popular right now, you could easily resell it for very close to your purchase price on CL, the 'bay or here.

Buying a small lathe is not like buying a small table or bandsaw; smaller flatwork tools usually just means you have to be more creative about how to perform a task. A smaller lathe means you are limited in what you can turn.

Justin Stephen
01-11-2012, 2:45 PM
All of it, give or take a few bucks for beer.

Truer words have never been spoken (or typed).

Rick Cicciarelli
01-11-2012, 7:59 PM
A lot of responses to this thread. As a beginner turner myself, I have to give props to the Delta 46-460. I LOVE IT!! I am sure I will eventually get to the limits of the tool and will eventually want something that will turn larger than 12", but as a beginner, I don't think you can find something that will allow you to grow and have such success at this price point. I LOVE the variable speed. I don't think I could stand switching belts all of the time. I would say WHATEVER you go with, make sure it has variable speed. There is nothing like being able to speed up and slow down with a simple twist of a knob. It is just a nice, heavy duty tool that has given me nothing but happiness after owning it for almost a year now.

Brian Kent
01-11-2012, 8:33 PM
In these replies and other reviews, I keep on reading the word "smooth" about the Delta 46-460. That is one of the most important factors for me in any tool. I know woodworking is noisy, but I don't like scary rattling noise.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-11-2012, 9:27 PM
I started with the Rikon mini/midi. Sold it and bought the 46-460 when it was on sale at Woodcraft for $450 (if I remember correctly) along with the bed extension and the stand. I absolutely am satisfied -- its more than I need (I generally turn pens and bottlestoppers), but will certainly be there when I "grow" as a turner. It is one sweet machine. I've purchase the "economy" set of 9 tools from Lee Valley, the Nova chuck made for this machine, numerous live and dead centers, steb centers, Beall collet chuck, drill chuck, sanding stuff, and 3 carbide tools from Woodchuck Tools (a competitor to EasyWood and a member on the penturners.org site). I absolutely love the carbide tools - they're about all I use anymore except for the occasional parting tool. I'm probably in about $2 grand.

Keith Westfall
01-13-2012, 2:36 AM
How much? Don't know. Not done payin' yet!!!!

Brian Kent
01-13-2012, 4:08 PM
Just checked out the Delta 46-460 at the local Rockler store. With extension and stand and tax, over $1,200.
Same at Amazon = $1,000 (plus $77.50 tax that I would add to my IRS return.)
Lathe and extension from Amazon on homemade stand = $740.

Big difference on my tool budget.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-13-2012, 7:58 PM
I'm with you Brian. Time vs. money; the age old conundrum. I spent for the stand and am glad I did; I definitely am short on time. Did I have the $$? Errr ... :o:o

Bart Leetch
01-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Have you ever owned a boat?????

Brian Kent
01-14-2012, 1:13 AM
Bart, I was loaned a little catamaran for a summer. Free boat. Free storage. It cost me more than if I had gone down to the dock and rented a brand new fully prepped catamaran on an hourly basis. Just minimum repairs to get it into the water each time.

Dan Forman
01-14-2012, 3:00 AM
How much? About $400 more that I would have told you last week.

Brian --- Definition of a boat: "A hole in the water that you throw money into"

Dan

Mike Cruz
01-14-2012, 4:15 AM
Brian, maybe not on the "repairs" side of things, but that is pretty much what everyone is saying about turning...the lathe itself isn't the most expensive part.

Wayne Lovell
01-14-2012, 1:59 PM
I really don't want to know how much I have spent, I bought my Powermatic several years ago from Tool Nut for $2800 I am sure that I have spent at least that much more. Still less than my Schuetzen or Silhouette rifles and the accessories to go with them. I think that for most hobbies the accessories with up costing more than the original main piece of equipment.

Roy Turbett
01-14-2012, 9:58 PM
I went the same route Mike Cruz did and bought a used Powermatic 90 from a guy who bought it at a school auction. If you like working on machines, you may enjoy the restoration experience as much as turning and can end up with very nice lathe at a reasonable price ($400 - $1200 fully restored). But beware and do your homework first because parts are not always easy to find. That said, most of the older lathes like the Powermatic 90 had only 12" of swing and were built primarily for spindle turning. It is easy to raise the head and tailstock but the toolrest only has 15" of swing so it doesn't make sense to go much higher. I raised mine 3" to give it 18" of swing so I can position the toolrest under my large turnings. Older machines usually have mechanical drives and three phase motors but can be converted to variable frequency drives for around $200. The Powermatic 3520 that replaced it has something like 20" of swing and electronic speed control. It also has heavy duty cast iron legs as opposed to a sheetmetal cabinet which makes it much more stable for turning large objects. It sells for around $3,800 new and used ones are hard to find. Two used ones recently came up for sale in my area on Craigs list for around $3,000 and each one included about $2,000 in accessories. New or used, it pays to a popular machine because resale is much easier when and if you decide to upgrade. Oh, and by the way I now have 3 Powermatic 90's, a Jet mini lathe and all the tools Mike talked about in his thread and all in 2 years. Good luck and welcome to the vortex.

Mike Cruz
01-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Roy, if you haven't done so yet, anchor your lathe's headstock end down with angle iron...it makes a world of difference.

And as for raising the head and tailstocks, you and I both did the 3" riser...bringing it to an 18" swing. For those who are interested in raising it, but can't figure out the banjo issue, I chatted with a guy recently that came up with a pretty snazzy solution. He put a 4" riser on the headstock, then bought a PM3520 banjo and tailstock...problem solved with OEM parts!

Bill Boehme
01-15-2012, 12:58 AM
For just one moment pretend that you are not actually interested in turning (I know, I should be banned for life for making such a heretical statement even if it is in jest), but instead imagine that you have decided to take up golf and are now are asking other golfers how much will it cost. They will chuckle to themselves and then lie their heads off. Same thing with boat owners, especially if they are trying to sell you their boat so that they can get a newer bigger one to feed their never ending addiction.

Well, woodturners are different -- they will give you the straight unadulterated truth: it hardly costs anything. The fifty or so turning tools that I have were all on sale for ridiculously low closeout prices, my four Oneway scroll chucks are (approximately) a dime a dozen, my Robust American Beauty ... well, I caught Brent in a weak moment and wound up paying hardly any more than the price of a used mini lathe, things like live centers and spur drives and faceplates are all just pocket change, and various things like calipers and center finders are freebies.

And that's all that I have to say on the subject Now, if you will excuse me, I feel an inexplicable need to wash my mouth with soap.

Brian Kent
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I just saw a news article about $3,000 remote control cars. Maybe any hobby is capable of absorbing any amount of money we want to throw into it.

Joe Bradshaw
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Brian, i am reminded of the old saying; Abandon hope all ye who enter here. Seriously, turning is a fun hobby that can be as expensive as you let it be. As turners, we are just one tool away from perfection. Also, easily attracted by shiney objects. Keep attending the club meetings and remember that the symposium is in San Jose this year. You can get some great deals on almost new equipment there. But, the first time you turn a spinning top or stick pen with your son/grandson or daughter and they say thanks dad or granddad, it is worth every cent.