PDA

View Full Version : Another Shop tip--push stick availability

Alan Mikkelsen
03-10-2005, 4:43 PM
Reading the shop tips on pencils got me thinking about what I could share. To keep my push sticks handy on my table saw, I epoxied some 1/2" magnets to them, and just keep them slapped on the front of my cabinet saw. I've done the same thing with some grout floats that I use for pushers on my jointer. They're soft rubber/foam, but I just glued a magnet into the foam and keep a couple slapped on the front of my jointer.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2005, 4:50 PM
I love it! Great idea...submit to some mags and you'll get free stuff and cash! :)

Frank Pellow
03-10-2005, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the idea Alan. I'm going to use it. :)

Bob Noles
03-10-2005, 5:47 PM
I tell ya.... we can go crazy with these niffty little ideas and magnets huh?

I was eating dinner and looking at the refrigerator when my wife noticed my glances, she looked at me and commented that she better not find the first one missing or she will change the locks on my shop and not give me a key. :D

I guess it will have to be another trip to the borg instead :(

Jeff Sudmeier
03-10-2005, 9:11 PM
Another great tip! My saw body is plastic, so it won't work for me. I really need a good way to keep push sticks handy! I suppose I could just put it in it's holder, but that would be too easy! :)

Larry D. Wagner
03-10-2005, 9:17 PM
Alan

I like that idea. I'm always looking for mine and ususally waste a minute or two rounding them up before I can saw or joint something.

Thanks

Larry

John Miliunas
03-10-2005, 9:47 PM
Great tips, Alan, but I do have one other question for you: Those grout floats. Do you find them "stickier" when pushing stock through machines than the "regular" pushers? I've always thought the typical ones are a bit "slippery".:cool:

Alan Mikkelsen
03-11-2005, 10:46 AM
John, the pad is quite a bit thicker, so if you have one of the pads near the end of the board, allowing it to hang over just a bit, it grabs the board like a mini 'heel' and allows you to push with enthusiasm. (though too much enthusiasm means you need to change out your jointer knives!):D They do grip a bit better than the standard kind you are talking about. I've got a couple of those, they came with the jointer. I've used them for handles on sleds.

John Miliunas
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
John, the pad is quite a bit thicker, so if you have one of the pads near the end of the board, allowing it to hang over just a bit, it grabs the board like a mini 'heel' and allows you to push with enthusiasm. (though too much enthusiasm means you need to change out your jointer knives!):D They do grip a bit better than the standard kind you are talking about. I've got a couple of those, they came with the jointer. I've used them for handles on sleds.
Alan, thanks for the additional insight! Yeah, I really don't care for the "stock" ones and I can't afford a pair of the Grrrrripers at each workstation! :rolleyes: (Though, that would be the cat's meow!) I'll have to give those floats a shot with my router table. (I've got the jointer covered now, 'cuz that has the power feeder.:) ) Thanks again!:cool:

James Carmichael
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Great tips, Alan, but I do have one other question for you: Those grout floats. Do you find them "stickier" when pushing stock through machines than the "regular" pushers? I've always thought the typical ones are a bit "slippery".:cool:

Ditto that, John. I have a couple of cheap floats I used for tile work before discovering the gum-rubber float (well worth the extra money). Figuring the cheap floats would make good push blocks, I tried, but the ones that came with my jointer grip the wood much better.