View Full Version : Display box is finished!

Mark Baldwin III
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
This is my Dad's Christmas present. Outside of a some of my tools and very simple kitchen items, it is my first 100% hand made project. It's also my first successful set of dovetails. It houses his 1848 Navy revolver. I'll probably post the rest of the in progress stuff on my blog later today, but wanted to share the finished product here first.

bob blakeborough
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Pretty cool man! Your Pops will be proud...

Chris Griggs
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Awesome. Thanks for showing that finished piece. Great work!

george wilson
12-23-2011, 6:41 PM
But,that is an 1858 Remington in the picture.:)

Mark Baldwin III
12-23-2011, 6:56 PM
But,that is an 1858 Remington in the picture.:)

Is it, George? Dad always said it was an 1848 Navy. All these year of LIES!!!!! I don't know old pistols at all. You could tell me that it's a 1847 winchester whizz-bang special, and I'd never know. :) But, really...it's an Italian re-pop he got when he was stationed there as a Marine in the early '70's.
Anyway, the box is the important part for me. I forgot to mention in the original post, thanks to everyone here. If it wasn't for all the information you guys share, I doubt I ever would have made something like that.

george wilson
12-23-2011, 8:53 PM
Definitely an 1858 Remington. There was no 1848 Navy. There was an 1849 Colt pocket pistol. There was a Navy model,but all the Colts of the period were open topped over the cylinder. The Remington with the top strap was a much stronger pistol,and I have a repro that I spent a few months of altering to make shoot straight!

The Navy was the 1851 model.

Mark Baldwin III
12-24-2011, 5:31 AM
Thanks, George. Learn something new every day!

gary Zimmel
12-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Got to love how quiet ones shop is when we are building something with hand tools...
Nice work Mark. I'm sure your father will love the display box.

Mark Baldwin III
12-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Thank you, Gary. And how right your are! I like being able to listen to an audio book or music while I work. I found that the heavy stuff goes along well with sharpening a stubborn saw ;)

Also, I should mention. Sean's suggestion to cut the grooves all the way through the tail boards and then insert plugs worked great! They are invisible.

This picture is for George, and is proof that one can look at something and never see it. Someone, whether my dad or myself once said "1848 Navy" and it never got out of my head...

Chris Griggs
12-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I would have never guessed that through grooves could be plugged so seamlessly - what a great alternative to pesky stopped grooves. I love how much we all learn from each other.

Mark Baldwin III
12-24-2011, 1:26 PM
I would have never guessed that through grooves could be plugged so seamlessly - what a great alternative to pesky stopped grooves. I love how much we all learn from each other.

Here's a picture of one of the tails with a plug in it. You should be able to make it out. They are definitely less visible than the little mistakes I made.