PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Bean Pen Blank Help

Jon McElwain
12-23-2011, 3:31 AM
Has anyone turned one of these pen blanks? I am getting ready to turn my first one, but I would love your tips on tooling, sanding, finishing, repairing pop outs, etc. I have heard lots of horror stories, beans falling out, blanks chipping, blanks getting stuck to the bushings while on the mandrel, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Russell Eaton
12-23-2011, 6:46 AM
Those are a pain to turn. I have done several, and ALL have had some blow out. The best I can advise is to have VERY sharp tools and take light cuts. I tend to try to soak the pen as I turn with thin ca glue. It will help the coffee beans to stay hard enough to turn. When you get close to the correct size, you might even want to use to 80-120 grit skew. If you do not put a ca finish on it will have a VERY strong smell for a long time and the beans may chip. Hope this helps. Russell

Jim Burr
12-23-2011, 8:52 AM
These can be interesting! Very sharp skew, light cuts, and stop every pass or two and see how the blank looks...don't be shy with the CA!

Jack Gaskins
12-23-2011, 1:40 PM
Yiou could cut the corners off on the bandsaw then put on the lathe and sand it till it is round and close to the bushings then you will only need a few passes to the final thickness.